Cheaper Tents

I'm so glad you posted this op. We are looking to bring a tent with us on our trip in October. Haven't bought one in over 20 years so i am sure there are alot of new improvements to them!

So I think I've found the tent we're going to get. Coleman Camping Coleman WeatherMaster 10 Person Hinged Door Tent
http://smile.amazon.com/Coleman-200...erson-Tent/dp/B001TS8Q94/ref=cm_cd_ql_qh_dp_t

Any particular reason why you went to one tent instead of two? We use two tents since it gives us better flexibility in setting up in the State Park Campground we go to.

I'm not a total fan of this tent since the rain fly just looks too small. I'm certain the bottom of the door is not covered that's why they have that flap along the seam. Some thing that may get caught in the zipper.

One other issue that I didn't bring up before is that there are a lot of ropes on it. Could be a tripping issue with little ones. For any tent bring some bright ribbon to tie on them.

Last edited:
We decided to go with one tent instead of two since the kids are still young.

I'm open to other tent suggestions. I like the size of this one, so we can fit all 4 of us comfortably. Any tent ideas for less than $300?

I'm open to other tent suggestions. I like the size of this one, so we can fit all 4 of us comfortably. Any tent ideas for less than $300?

I guess a forgot to ask, have you ever tent camped before?

We got ours at Kmart. It is a Northwest Territory Bear Mountain Cabin tent. 18 x 17. I went on line and they are 195.00
We went down last fall. It was easy to set up, ( practiced setting up at home first ).
We had a queen size air mattress and 2 regular sized cots for the DD's, 15 ,7.
Has a divider that you can open, is not completely removable. There was plenty of room to walk around or sit on the floor and have dinner.
Also has an electrical cork pocket so your not running the cord through one of the tent doors.
Comes with a couple of storage pockets that you hang up.
We never took the rain fly off, just opened all the windows a little bit and that was plenty of ventilation.
The front canopy sticks out 5' from the tent, which is nice, especially with windows open if it rains.

11-6-14 052 copy.jpg 11-6-14 053 copy.jpg 11-6-14 054 copy.jpg 11-6-14 055 copy.jpg

This one one

http://www.amazon.com/Coleman-20000...oor-recreation&ie=UTF8&qid=1423499287&sr=1-17

or this one

http://www.amazon.com/Coleman-Evans...oor-recreation&ie=UTF8&qid=1423498811&sr=1-11

One other thing is get some stakes that look like this. I've broken tons of plastic ones. But not sure what works best for the pads at the Fort.

http://www.amazon.com/Coleman-10-Inch-Steel-Tent-Stakes/dp/B002HU086C/ref=pd_bxgy_sg_img_z

Last edited:
I guess a forgot to ask, have you ever tent camped before?

Years and years and years ago when I was little we'd go tent camping at Thousand Trails/Naco West. Before we moved to KY, hubby would camp in the middle of nowhere in the mountains with his friends (not my idea of a good time; I need real toilets!)

We got ours at Kmart. It is a Northwest Territory Bear Mountain Cabin tent. 18 x 17. I went on line and they are 195.00
We went down last fall. It was easy to set up, ( practiced setting up at home first ).
We had a queen size air mattress and 2 regular sized cots for the DD's, 15 ,7.
Has a divider that you can open, is not completely removable. There was plenty of room to walk around or sit on the floor and have dinner.
Also has an electrical cork pocket so your not running the cord through one of the tent doors.
Comes with a couple of storage pockets that you hang up.
We never took the rain fly off, just opened all the windows a little bit and that was plenty of ventilation.
The front canopy sticks out 5' from the tent, which is nice, especially with windows open if it rains.

View attachment 1851 View attachment 1852 View attachment 1853 View attachment 1854
Thank you for the pictures! I have the hardest time imagining what things look like. I've been drawing tent dimensions in our driveway and taking two blowup mattresses outside to see how things would fit (we only have two mattress at the moment, need to get two more).

Thank you for the pictures! I have the hardest time imagining what things look like. I've been drawing tent dimensions in our driveway and taking two blowup mattresses outside to see how things would fit (we only have two mattress at the moment, need to get two more).

The tent size is actually 18 x 12, with the 5' canopy that is what gets it to the 18 x 17. Sorry if this might have confused you.

I don't have any experience with this tent but I like it! I wouldn't pay that much for it for one camping trip, though.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Trail-13-x-9-Instant-Cabin-Tent-Sleeps-12/34109034

I'm sure Snowmedic's advice is excellent because of his experience.

I've looked at that tent. If the rooms weren't divided it would be awesome. One 8x8 section would work for the kids, but I would need another foot to have some elbow room. That divider is right in the way, even pulled back.

The tent size is actually 18 x 12, with the 5' canopy that is what gets it to the 18 x 17. Sorry if this might have confused you.

Thank you for the clarification. Your tent was one I didn't need to draw out since you so kindly posted the pictures.

We have the Coleman Weathermaster tent and we absolutely love it! As with any tent just make sure to pull the rain fly tight.
I goes up quick and easy and comes back down just the same!

Looks like you already got tons of great advice. Just wanted to add we are former pop-up campers (sold it when our kids were all in college and getting married) and wanted to get back into camping without a big expensive. We picked up a Coleman tent last summer at Sears for about $80. Our first night in the mountains, we got torrential downpours and stayed completely dry unlike the the the families with us who all woke up in puddles! Not sure how it will hold up long-term but for now, the price is right and it will do!

Thank you for the clarification. Your tent was one I didn't need to draw out since you so kindly posted the pictures.

The pictures don't show it, but there is about 3 feet of space between the air mattress and the window and about the same on the other side with the cot. The picture shows with the divider open, but when it was closed the second cot was up against the divider. Like I said we had plenty of room especially the night it rained.

I believe this one was a North West Territory, it was fairly old, we got rid of it for the one in the other pics. It was a 18 X 17 with no canopy. Again plenty of room as you can see. Queen air mattress and 2 cots.

vacations 033 copy.jpg vacations 034 copy.jpg vacations 035 copy.jpg

As you can see, we love big tents. Trying to get around to buying a canvas tent for this years trip.

I'm with Snow Medic. We too have North West Territory tents from Kmart. We paid around $260 for each. I don't think these are cheap nor expensive, somewhere in the middle range. You get what you pay for.

It rained a few times on our trip and the tent held up pretty well. Pooled a small amount of water in the closet area and under my cot just a tad bit on one rain but it was a quick and heavy rain. The other times it rained, no problem. I think if we seam sealed, water wouldn't have been an issue at all.

I agree with getting a tent with a tub floor.

I have more tent pics in my trip report (link below).

tent1.jpg

tent2.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter