Changing to plane dishes !!!

LoveRafiki

Mouseketeer
Staying in AKL Kidani Village --- housekeeping just came in and is switching out the themed plates to plane white ones.... now, truth be told, the bowls were too small -- but at least it was all African themed... now it is boring white.

It is a cost cutting measure.... all dishes the same... oh well.

Sad reality is that some owners have a habit of absconding with anything unique which isn't bolted down in the villas.

If this is a cost-related move, it's not just about the cost of replacing due to breakage--it's about the replacement cost involved in restocking the "souvenirs" which end up in people's luggage, trunks and Owner's Lockers.

All the resorts are going to this generic white dinnerware. It is OK, I guess, but I really preferred the size/shape of the original Fiesta Ware bowls at OKW. Otherwise, a plate is a plate.

It is OK, I guess, but I really preferred the size/shape of the original Fiesta Ware bowls at OKW.
The new bowls are terrible! I measured the capacity of the plain white bowls at BWV and they hold exactly one cup of liquid if you fill them to the brim. If you normally use one cup of milk with your cereal, there is no room for the cereal. Who chooses the dinnerware? Presumably it is someone who doesn't eat cereal or soup.

I was sad when I heard the Fiestaware was being replaced but even sadder to hear the dinnerware at AKV is gone too since it was unique.

The new bowls are terrible! I measured the capacity of the plain white bowls at BWV and they hold exactly one cup of liquid if you fill them to the brim. If you normally use one cup of milk with your cereal, there is no room for the cereal. Who chooses the dinnerware? Presumably it is someone who doesn't eat cereal or soup.

Oh no! This is sad. :sad2: Size matters.

At okw now and the all dishware is plain white.

LOL ... the subject really had me wondering why DVC was switching to airline-themed dishware! (I figured they'd been stealing a little on each flight and now installing their stash in the villas?) ;)

LOL ... the subject really had me wondering why DVC was switching to airline-themed dishware! (I figured they'd been stealing a little on each flight and now installing their stash in the villas?) ;)

:lmao: I thought the same thing I thought when I read the thread starter, that the dishes had planes on them. Reading further I realized it was plain dishes.

Pretty much what TJ said, it was due to so many pieces being carried off.

Anything unique or interesting seems to disappear, so they went with generic white. I wish they would simply make those that take them pay for them and not punish the rest of us. :(

I was at least hopping for something with some color to them.

I recall reading that guests were taking the books that used to be in the villas at OKW for guests to read when it first opened. And so, no more books stocked on the shelves in each villa.
There are bathrobes stocked at VGC, and if you take them they charge you for them. At Paradise Pier they have Beach Ball pillows on the beds, if you take them, you get charged for them.

I wish they would charge for damaged/missing items at the WDW resorts...but at the same time I can see people contesting it with their CC companies. Plus the time needed to check for every single item or piece of dinnerware, and then decide if it is theft or normal wear and tear would likely be cost prohibitive...requiring much more housekeeping staff and upping our dues considerably.

Maybe I'm just being a sap in thinking that the vast majority of people would not take the dishes. And any minority that did before will still take the dishes. Unless Disney can confirm that they now replace less I'd call it inconclusive why things disappeared - breakage, guest theft, employee theft.

And there are lots of interesting options that are as inexpensive as the generic plateware. But Disney has been getting a bit lazy in this area IMO. (all in the name of warehouse storage I thought). I also liked the theming and ambiance that was added with these little touches.

I don't think I'll miss the particular bowls they had at AKV though - those were tiny!!! Although it sounds like the new ones are not much better. I do miss the Fiestaware and also will miss the green dinnerware at VWL. :( :( :(

Exactly why DVC will never get KEurigs, which would be SO cool.

Can u imagine how many of those things would walk away?

Maybe I'm just being a sap in thinking that the vast majority of people would not take the dishes. And any minority that did before will still take the dishes. Unless Disney can confirm that they now replace less I'd call it inconclusive why things disappeared - breakage, guest theft, employee theft.

And there are lots of interesting options that are as inexpensive as the generic plateware. But Disney has been getting a bit lazy in this area IMO. (all in the name of warehouse storage I thought). I also liked the theming and ambiance that was added with these little touches.

I don't think I'll miss the particular bowls they had at AKV though - those were tiny!!! Although it sounds like the new ones are not much better. I do miss the Fiestaware and also will miss the green dinnerware at VWL. :( :( :(

I am sure storage was part of the equation too, as the dishes are the same as in room dining uses.

I wish they would charge for damaged/missing items at the WDW resorts...but at the same time I can see people contesting it with their CC companies. Plus the time needed to check for every single item or piece of dinnerware, and then decide if it is theft or normal wear and tear would likely be cost prohibitive...requiring much more housekeeping staff and upping our dues considerably.

They do it at AOA now, they have a card in the room stating that anything taken from the room will be billed.

They do it at AOA now, they have a card in the room stating that anything taken from the room will be billed.

They used to have that same notice at OKW back when they had wired Internet, that if you took the cord, they'd charge you. Well, I was doing a split stay once and when I unpacked my laptop at the new resort, I discovered the cord still attached. I immediately called back to OKW and mentioned the charge. The CM laughed and told me, "Oh we don't really charge, we just have the card there." Way to enforce things (not).

How would they know if a dish was stolen or just dropped and broken as part of normal wear and tear?

How would they know if a dish was stolen or just dropped and broken as part of normal wear and tear?

I would hope that members would report broken pieces, I know we did. I doubt those stealing something would. Plus if they put a notice in the rooms to please report anything broken, then the broken dish would be there to confer it was broken not stolen.

The fiesta ware at BW used to be that little special touch. I'm sitting in my home now with 15yr old Sams Club dishes that are chipped and or broken.
I know u can buy fiesta wear at Kohls but as DVC gets bigger the "Dumbing Down of Disney" continues. We treat our home resorts BW and BLT as something special so if somethings a issue that needs fixed in our room (home resort or not)we call to get it fixed so it will be perfect for the next guest.

Scott

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter