Changing a VGT after it has been assigned

We were on deck 5 on the Dream right by the stairs and elevator in the hall on the way to the kids' clubs. We only ever heard a few kids running in the hall. We could not hear the mechanics of the elevator. We'd book there again.

When you think about it, all the state rooms in a certain category are pretty much the same floor plan. The ONLY thing that changes is 1. Location and 2. Neighbors. Noisy neighbors can ruin even the best picked cabin. And location - if you are prone to seasickness and want a lower deck midship, well then you need to pay to pick it. Or maybe you want to be on the deck with the food? I am waiting to find out where I am - but I saved over $1000 letting them pick. I checked the available cabins in my category (ocean view) and there are about 38 cabins left. IF I get one that is super noisy or stinky or haunted, I will certainly see if there is any other cabin open, in my category. I don't even really need an upgrade . . . are higher decks better? More tipsy and maybe more noisy?

I’m pretty sure I got a VGT assignment before but opted to pay an upgrade to a higher category. Cost more money. Can’t remeber the particulars. But I’m preeeeeeetty sure I’ve done it. Hmmmm....

To the OP, when you get to port you can chećk port upgrades or even room location changes within the same category. The VGT thing doesn’t matter once you are at port and checked-in.

I seem to have good luck with these types of things, actually. Typically if it involves giving a company more money they’ll be more accommodating. Few years ago we book an Advanced Purchase/no changes or cancellations rate at a Hilton hotel. Well, we decided we wanted to be at a different location Hilton hotel that cost like $50 more than we already paid. So, I called, explained, asked nicely, and we got the move while only paying the difference. Win/Win. Just recently we booked a Holiday Inn Express through United Hotels on a prepaid/no changes or cancellations rate. Well, travel plans shifted. I called the hotel directly. The lady I spoke with looked up my reservation and changed the date for me. No problem. No fees.

Point is, with these things I firmly believe in calling, be nice, and let them tell me no if that’s going to be the answer. Again, especially if it’s something that nets the company more money it’s likely they’ll be happy to do it.

You can upgrade at port. I could care less where my room is located on a ship. I've done numerous GT rates. I've been all over the ship and never did room location impact my cruise. I've never understood why picking a room is so important. When you stay in a hotel you don't pick your room.

Actually, this is no help to the conversation but this seems to be changing for hotels also. I think it was Hilton where I booked rooms in two different cities using Hilton Honors. The day before I arrived I received a notification allowing me to check in and pick my room. It provided floor plans so that I could see where the available rooms were located. Happened for both Hilton Hotels that I stayed at on that trip. I wouldn't be surprised to see more hotel chains offering this soon as well (if they don't already).

Actually, this is no help to the conversation but this seems to be changing for hotels also. I think it was Hilton where I booked rooms in two different cities using Hilton Honors. The day before I arrived I received a notification allowing me to check in and pick my room. It provided floor plans so that I could see where the available rooms were located. Happened for both Hilton Hotels that I stayed at on that trip. I wouldn't be surprised to see more hotel chains offering this soon as well (if they don't already).

Yep. Hilton now offers it through their app. I only book with my Hhonors number, but I think it applies to anyone who has the app (though why you'd have the app without being an Hhonors member I don't know...)

I've done that but half the time they change it anyway. I prefer to wait until I check in because sometimes you get upgraded.

We just booked a cruise for next month. The VGT rate for a verandah was substantially less than our typical Deck 2 oceanview room (we LOVE Deck 2). So I booked the VGT. Not happy for a verandah, I know I'm weird lol. But, the savings was well over $1,000 than booking an oceanview on Deck 2!

We just booked a cruise for next month. The VGT rate for a verandah was substantially less than our typical Deck 2 oceanview room (we LOVE Deck 2). So I booked the VGT. Not happy for a verandah, I know I'm weird lol. But, the savings was well over $1,000 than booking an oceanview on Deck 2!
I’m pretty sure when you get to port you can ask if there’s anything available in your ideal category/location. Some may upgrade out of that category. There could be a couple rooms held back from inventory, too. Never hurts to ask.

I’m pretty sure when you get to port you can ask if there’s anything available in your ideal category/location. Some may upgrade out of that category. There could be a couple rooms held back from inventory, too. Never hurts to ask.

Yes, I will probably do that to be honest! I mean, they probably don't get many requests to downgrade lol. As of now, there are quite a few rooms left on Deck 2!

Yes, I will probably do that to be honest! I mean, they probably don't get many requests to downgrade lol. As of now, there are quite a few rooms left on Deck 2

Awww, if you have never had a verandah room, perhaps try it? Unless it's a location you really don't like. Please do come back here and let us know if you were able to "downgrade" at the port! Have a great cruise, whatever stateroom you are in! :cutie:

I've never understood why picking a room is so important.
On the Magic and Wonder, it's because of sideways cabins. I truly enjoy the layout so I make sure to book as early as I can so my cabin choice rate is still lower then *GT. I don't care what cabin on the Dream or Fantasy.
Also, for those that book early enough that *GT rates are more expensive, why not choose a room?

On the Magic and Wonder, it's because of sideways cabins. I truly enjoy the layout so I make sure to book as early as I can so my cabin choice rate is still lower then *GT. I don't care what cabin on the Dream or Fantasy.
Also, for those that book early enough that *GT rates are more expensive, why not choose a room?
No not always. Sometimes GT rates are less. Majority of people cannot book vacations 18 months out. Your argument only applies to a small percentage of people that can plan their lives and get vacation time approved a year or morein advance.

No not always. Sometimes GT rates are less. Majority of people cannot book vacations 18 months out. Your argument only applies to a small percentage of people that can plan their lives and get vacation time approved a year or morein advance.
I'm not arguing. You said you didn't understand, so I was explaining why we did and why others may so that you may try to understand.

I'm not arguing. You said you didn't understand, so I was explaining why we did and why others may so that you may try to understand.
I was referring more to the people that book a GT rate and then stress and stress over what room they're going to get. There's something very exciting about booking a cruise a month or so out and getting a great price. I don't understand why in that situation the room matters. Just be excited your going on a cruise in a month and not a year from now.

I was referring more to the people that book a GT rate and then stress and stress over what room they're going to get. There's something very exciting about booking a cruise a month or so out and getting a great price. I don't understand why in that situation the room matters. Just be excited your going on a cruise in a month and not a year from now.
It is exciting, but for people with anxiety or other types of issues, find that excitement stressful, so they worry, particularly when a large chunk of money is on the line.
I would imagine it's either worrying about making it the best possible vacation/money's worth or anxiety type worry. Hmm possibly even both.

It is exciting, but for people with anxiety or other types of issues, find that excitement stressful, so they worry, particularly when a large chunk of money is on the line.
I would imagine it's either worrying about making it the best possible vacation/money's worth or anxiety type worry. Hmm possibly even both.
I guess those type people shouldn't book a GT rate.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter