Changes to Land Border Entry for Canadians with Positive Test

Status
Not open for further replies.
This site is definitely leaning towards the $5000 as being a possibility only. We need some real life examples of people's experiences crossing with a positive result.

https://flytrippers.com/entering-canada-by-land-with-a-positive-test/

I think I'll someone else experiment on that :) Not sure I have $10k to pay if it's more of a sure thing! Also not sure I want to test positive ;)

I have noticed a lot of positive cases on some cruise lines, including Canadians, it's possible some of those will be flown home or allowed to return by car so will keep watching those to see what happens.

I am feeling glad I changed my March trip to May, perhaps another rule change will happen by then. Fingers crossed!

I wish there would be some mainstream media coverage specifically about the change to the land border crossing - I can't believe it's been multiple days now and nobody is talking about it (other than us here!)

My family tested positive after our trip to WDW from 12/18-12/23. DH, DS and I all got PCR tests to confirm after we did rapid tests at home, but DD didn't test positive until 12/30 and by then she wasn't eligible to get a PCR done because the government limited testing to essential workers. The only private lab near us that does PCRs won't accept you for 14 days after you're ill. We took her in yesterday and paid $300 :sad2: for a test, which MIGHT still show her as being positive, but might not (PCRs are supposed to be able to pick up even dead genetic material from the virus so we're just hoping she still has some left). We decided to gamble on it because if we can get a test that shows she's positive, the 4 of us can travel together to many destinations for the next 6 months without any testing... it seems like that would be a huge win. Of course, we might have just paid $300 for nothing. Our doctor's office was happy to print off copies of the PCRs for DH, DS and myself.

Interestingly, I also called our local PHU to explain what I was doing and confirm that DD won't be subject to a new quarantine period if this PCR does come back positive, given that we know she got sick last month and it's not a fresh infection. Nobody was really able to say. The poor PHU people are just as confused by all the rule changes as we are.

This site is definitely leaning towards the $5000 as being a possibility only. We need some real life examples of people's experiences crossing with a positive result.

https://flytrippers.com/entering-canada-by-land-with-a-positive-test/
I don't know. I think it's better that Canadians and Canadian media pressure the government for more clearer and concise rules, instead of what is in the summary of that article probably not imposed very often. Who are the unlucky Canadians that are going to be hit with the fine that doesn't get imposed very often, and what are the parameters? It is such a gamble and we deserve a clearer response on how this does or doesn't work, especially now that we are going into year 3 of Covid 19 :(

I don't know. I think it's better that Canadians and Canadian media pressure the government for more clearer and concise rules, instead of what is in the summary of that article probably not imposed very often. Who are the unlucky Canadians that are going to be hit with the fine that doesn't get imposed very often, and what are the parameters? It is such a gamble and we deserve a clearer response on how this does or doesn't work, especially now that we are going into year 3 of Covid 19 :(
The rules are pretty clear. If you test positive you are to quarantine in the US for 11 days. The point of them possibly fining people is to enforce people to not come home with Covid symptoms.

The ' may ' part is what bugs me the most! If the rule is in place it should be for everyone not left up to border agents discretion.

The ' may ' part is what bugs me the most! If the rule is in place it should be for everyone not left up to border agents discretion.
You guys are too focused on the $5000 fine part. The bigger thing is having to quarantine out of country for 11 days if you have symptoms or test positive.

I guess I just fundamentally disagree with forcing positive Canadians who are traveling in their own private vehicle to stick around in the US for 11 more days, rather than going home. If I were in the US and needed to extend my stay, I'd be coming into contact with people as I attempt to secure food and lodging. If I could get home, I'd be safely tucked away from others. If the real intent is to minimize spread, then vehicles should be allowed to pass.

It's a totally different ballgame for anyone who has to fly home and thus expose others.

I guess I just fundamentally disagree with forcing positive Canadians who are traveling in their own private vehicle to stick around in the US for 11 more days, rather than going home. If I were in the US and needed to extend my stay, I'd be coming into contact with people as I attempt to secure food and lodging. If I could get home, I'd be safely tucked away from others. If the real intent is to minimize spread, then vehicles should be allowed to pass.

It's a totally different ballgame for anyone who has to fly home and thus expose others.
Exactly! Agree 100%. Isn't it better to keep to our own car...by ourselves.... and then quarantine at home? Rather than staying in a hotel room, need food and basic things like towels, toilet paper from others....and then once done, someone has to clean/disinfect the room, etc.

I have come back to Canada with a positive test (after 15 days) by both land and air. It was no problem. The main problem was testing positive and having to stay cooped up for a while. The funny thing is that the CDCs isolation period is only 5 days, so there is a window where you can go back to normal life, just can't come back into Canada.

And I was just about to post this - in Ontario the isolation period (for fully vaxxed, which you have to be to travel) is now only 5 days. But if you're in the States, where it is also only 5 days - and you test positive coming back, you need to isolate for ... 11 days?

You really need a flowchart here ...

And I was just about to post this - in Ontario the isolation period (for fully vaxxed, which you have to be to travel) is now only 5 days. But if you're in the States, where it is also only 5 days - and you test positive coming back, you need to isolate for ... 11 days?

You really need a flowchart here ...

I know it’s confusing. It’s because we need to follow the federal guidelines for crossing the border.

So now we figure if we test positive our vacation will just be extended and can do other things after the 5 days is up.

Exactly! Agree 100%. Isn't it better to keep to our own car...by ourselves.... and then quarantine at home? Rather than staying in a hotel room, need food and basic things like towels, toilet paper from others....and then once done, someone has to clean/disinfect the room, etc.
In theory yes. It's also not there problem cause you're in another country. I get that it's frustrating but IMO once the travel advisory drops again this will probably be dropped as well. Til Covid is no longer a thing travel isn't going to be easy.

In theory yes. It's also not there problem cause you're in another country. I get that it's frustrating but IMO once the travel advisory drops again this will probably be dropped as well. Til Covid is no longer a thing travel isn't going to be easy.
That's my worry. It's been 2 years and covid is still here, an almost worse. It's not going away. So will that travel advisory ever get dropped?

I wonder if the "may" is so they can allow exceptions [such as a situation where there is a legitimate urgent/emergency need to return home but there is a positive test] while the norm is to fine. Clearly if one is positive they want you to quarantine in the US for the requisite time period.

SW

I wouldn’t be in another country if I could drive my own car home. I would be isolating in the home I own, in the country I’m a citizen of. And it’s very easy for some .. just not people without the means to pay $5000 fines.

They need to provide clarification at the very least. When and how will it be applied? None of us should be ok with the wording changing like that with no explantation. At best it’s arbitrary.. but we are now talking about fining citizens for getting sick while travelling. If they want to ban travel, go for it and deal with the fallout.

ETA) I think it’s important to point out I don’t even want to travel at the moment. I am objecting to sweeping changes that restrict movement with absolutely no notice or explanation.

Last edited:
I wouldn’t be in another country if I could drive my own car home. I would be isolating in the home I own, in the country I’m a citizen of. And it’s very easy for some .. just not people without the means to pay $5000 fines.

They need to provide clarification at the very least. When and how will it be applied? None of us should be ok with the wording changing like that with no explantation. At best it’s arbitrary.. but we are now talking about fining citizens for getting sick while travelling. If they want to ban travel, go for it and deal with the fallout and drop in popularity.
My guess it will be a case by case basis on when it's applied.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter