Changes to Land Border Entry for Canadians with Positive Test

Status
Not open for further replies.

Etch

Mouseketeer
The federal government has updated their "Testing for Travelers" page. They will not deny entry to Canadians but are threatening that there "may" be up to a $5000 fine per traveler if presenting a positive test for reentry at a land border. They want those who test positive to remain in the U.S. for 15 days before returning.

https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/t...ovid-19-testing-travellers-coming-into-canada
The only announcement I could find was on the PHAC twitter feed yesterday.

I have searched and been unable to find exactly what "may" trigger the fine. Hopefully media outlets will get a hold of this and there will be some clarification.

I would love to see the statistics since the land border re-opened, on how many Canadians have presented a positive test to re-enter. I am wondering what has brought on this change now that the border has been opened for a number of months.

I am just so, so, so tired of Covid 19, and the revolving door of rules.

I have reached out to Kevin Nimmock from CTV Calgary via Twitter @KevinCTV and to Courtney Theriault @cspotweet from City News Edmonton. Both seem to be active on Twitter so without a better way that's sort of how I thought would be somewhat best to proceed. I also just now have written an email to Rachael Thomas our MP in Lethbridge.
If someone has more patience than I do they could maybe reach out directly to Canada Border Protection (CBP) or if they know of someone that might be able to reach out to a contact there. Unfortunately, I have tried on a few occasions to get clarification on things from our Coutts, AB border and those inquiries have almost always been met with rude tones/overtures as to why would I be bugging them.

I would encourage others to contact their favorite media followings as well. I think the more "noise" that gets made the quicker a response might happen

The federal government has updated their "Testing for Travelers" page. They will not deny entry to Canadians but are threatening that there "may" be up to a $5000 fine per traveler if presenting a positive test for reentry at a land border. They want those who test positive to remain in the U.S. for 15 days before returning.

https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/t...ovid-19-testing-travellers-coming-into-canada
The only announcement I could find was on the PHAC twitter feed yesterday.

I have searched and been unable to find exactly what "may" trigger the fine. Hopefully media outlets will get a hold of this and there will be some clarification.
If you click the link it tells you what triggers the fine.

To avoid being fined, wait to enter Canada until the 15th day (starting January 15, 2022, 11th day) after your positive test result. If you had symptoms without a positive result, wait until the symptoms have ended and you have a valid negative pre-entry test result.

I would also love if the media would cover how Canadians recovered from COVID will be able to re enter the country , since in many are not eligible to get a PCR for proof of recovery. This is not a small
number of people with this current wave. Are these individuals essentially unable to travel for the next 6 months?
Pretty much. These new rules pretty much end a lot traveling for Canadians. My hope is by spring a lot this is relaxed.

Maybe since the declaration of Canada being a level 4- do not travel to country from the US- Canada doe not want any more positives coming into the country to widen the spread?

I suspect the change was to prevent Omicron but that ship has sailed. I do not want this thread shut down so I will not comment on what I think. I just hope that it hits the news and there is pressure applied to change it back. Alternatively, clarify that no fine will occur if you immediately drive home, isolate and follow guidelines.

I still think "may" be fined means just that. Otherwise it would state "will be fined if you produce a positive result withing 15 days".

I plan on driving in March; this is not an automatic cancellation yet...I want to see how this shakes out. If there is any leniency to be had then if I receive my testing results during my drive home, and I can prove that, then I would expect it.

I thought once you got covid you could test positive for several months afterwards so this doesn't make any sense 🤷‍♀️
This is what is posted on the Canada website.

To avoid being fined, wait to enter Canada until the 15th day (starting January 15, 2022, 11th day) after your positive test result. If you had symptoms without a positive result, wait until the symptoms have ended and you have a valid negative pre-entry test result.

@Juventus it doesn't sound like there will be much lienency.

This is what is posted on the Canada website.

@Juventus it doesn't sound like there will be much lienency.

Canadians and others with right of entry who present a positive result on their pre-entry #COVID19 test and enter Canada may be subject to fines of $5000 + fees,

Could be right, but once again why the use of the word "may" and not "will". I'm sure we will be hearing more about this shortly, either from officials or travelers.

Canadians and others with right of entry who present a positive result on their pre-entry #COVID19 test and enter Canada may be subject to fines of $5000 + fees,

Could be right, but once again why the use of the word "may" and not "will". I'm sure we will be hearing more about this shortly, either from officials or travelers.
I think the point they are trying to get across is they don't you to come back if you have symptoms.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter