Change in pricing for people over 9 ordering from kids menus

We are at Skippers Canteen and just ordered the child portion steak for my 15 year old. I was told they’ve made a change to pricing and that for anyone over 9 ordering from the kids menu, they will charge you separately for each item of the meal, entree, sides, drink ect. I’m really disappointed with this change because we chose several restaurants knowing my son would prefer the kids menu to the adult menu because he doesn’t have an exotic palate. Disney really is out to wring every dollar they can out of people.
Agree! My 12 and 14 year old would still prefer the kids menu in many restaurants.

Threads like these make me realize that for a select few people, nothing Disney could do would bother them. If Chapek flogged you on the way in to MK, and stole your wallet, someone on Disboards would defend him. Thank you sir, may I have another?!
I some cases I agree in this particular case I don't. Most TS restaurants don't allow adults to order off the kids menu so why should Disney be any different. The problem is that people feel entitled(not saying this poster is) at Disney and expect to get everything they want regardless of the rules.

We are at Skippers Canteen and just ordered the child portion steak for my 15 year old. I was told they’ve made a change to pricing and that for anyone over 9 ordering from the kids menu, they will charge you separately for each item of the meal, entree, sides, drink ect. I’m really disappointed with this change because we chose several restaurants knowing my son would prefer the kids menu to the adult menu because he doesn’t have an exotic palate. Disney really is out to wring every dollar they can out of people.
Welcome to Disney CEO Bob "Cheap"eks new Disney. It's all about how much money he can extract from each customer. It's one of his favorite talking points during a Disney quarterly earnings call.

This should fire people up...

Picky eaters are a parenting decision.
They sure are,it’s tolerated at home and then they expect the rest of the world to tolerate it as well.

The autism parents can calm down I’m not talking about you.but using that as a reason why you do this when he’s 10 is fine but do you expect all restaurants to allow this even when he is 50.

I think it’s great that they allow adults to order off of the kid’s menu- I often order kid’s meals because I eat small portions all day long 😬! If it’s not allowed, then I get one of my daughters to split something with me or order something my husband likes so he can have my leftovers. It has nothing to do with being cheap or saving money- that went out the window I decided to book another trip to Disney.

If it’s not allowed, then I get one of my daughters to split something with me or order something my husband likes so he can have my leftovers.
I agree that the TS portion sizes are very big, but I also think the food quality of the kids meals is pretty poor. My kids might want mac and cheese or chicken fingers once on a week-long trip, but certainly not every day or every meal. We usually end up doing the opposite of the OP... adult entrees for the kids, which they share with each other or us.

This actually sounds like a great compromise and one I wish they'd make more well known. My 15 year old is a vegetarian and a bit picky but she gets very anxious about ordering something (be it from the kids menu or just some sides) that isn't stated on the menu as a normal adult meal. She ordered a side of fries (fries weren't even on the menu but we asked and they had them, server said she had no idea why they weren't on there) and the kids fruit salad side at Sci Fi and was in tears because she thought it would be an issue (it wasn't at all, the server happily brought it and I have no idea what I was charged for it). I'd happily pay a little more for her to have a broader selection of items and not feel weird about ordering something intended for a younger child.
There are also plenty of places that have a bigger version of a kids item, it's just not on the menu. We wanted the kids mozzarella sticks app at Via Napoli and the server said they had a bigger portion size if we wanted it.

I have zero issues with charging a bit more (or with a different price structure) for people over 9 ordering off the kids menu at a table service restaurant.

This makes zero sense to me. If you are getting the same portion as the regular kids meal why on earth would they charge more? The food doesn't magically increase because the person is 10! Now if a 12 year old wants macaroni and it is only on the kids menu but they want a double portion, by all means charge more. But if it's the same size portion it's insane to charge more!

I agree that the TS portion sizes are very big, but I also think the food quality of the kids meals is pretty poor. My kids might want mac and cheese or chicken fingers once on a week-long trip, but certainly not every day or every meal. We usually end up doing the opposite of the OP... adult entrees for the kids, which they share with each other or us.
Perfect solution as well!

I apologize for not being clear. Let me try again ;). It appears that both she and I were told that the meal would now be priced a la carte for each component, with the entree component being the “base” or “starting” price. Logically, we both should have been charged $13 for the steak plus $2/ $3 (depending on the direction of the wind and whether the moon was in Jupiter, apparently) for each of the sides. However, this did not happen for either of us. We were both charged a lower “base” cost of $11 for the steak, which resulted in the menu price of $13 charged for the steak ending up with one side actually being included if charged at $2. Does that make more sense? Otherwise, we should have been charged $13 plus $2/$3 for each side, which is not how either meal was actually billed.

I think it’s completely fair to price the entree on its own at the menu price. Perhaps that’s an unpopular opinion, but offering a $13 four-ounce steak does not seem to me to be looking out for only their own financial interests.
She did not say they told her the base price would be the entree price. Even if they did it makes no sense and that idea I don't find fair.

She actually later said that it wasn't even explained to her until she got her bill (see below) which showed the $11 as the a la carte price. She didn't say she was told it would be the full $13 price for just the meat.

Wow! So 10 year olds should be forced to eat adult portions and selections? I have some pretty picky kids. I’d be paying more for them to pick at or not eat their food. I pay those prices at the buffets, and prix fixe meals. But I also don’t choose to do many of those. My son has autism btw. So when I say he’s not going to eat adult entrees at a place like Skippers Canteen I’m not just making him order from the kids menu to be cheap.
I wanted to bring this up because it is often brought up as a way to save on food or for people who have had bariatric surgery ect. And eat smaller portions. With a drink, this would have been a $20 meal. And I wasnt told the new pricing structure up front. It was after we had already given our order, as an oh by the way, nor was I told what the actual breakdown would be until I got the bill. To the person who commented about the dessert, that is one of the side options with the kids meal.
I also follow the Disney food blog, Dis and several Disney FB groups. So I consider myself fairly Disney Knowledgeable, but I haven’t seen this mentioned anywhere.
Disney's structure has always been that someone in the 9/10 range is considered a Disney adult even at dining. For a la carte restaurants that Disney owns, they have been fairly lenient with this except when the DDP is in play. BUT in the outside world most restaurants I know are very strict about this (and I understand). I also have a disabled son and in the outside world we have gone to some specialty restaurants where they were kind enough to offer/allow him to use the child's menu. Most places do not - and that is on us to figure out where and what he will eat.

It does not surprise me given the "new management" that this will be a starting place for them to change pricing structure. It's already there, they just have to enforce it. Allowing someone to still order the kids food a la carte is nice compromise.

Eventually the pricing will be standardized, sounds like they haven’t gotten there yet.

THIS is where it will get interesting. Disney's restaurants are basically independent profit centers. Each negotiates with the DDP on what the DDP will reimburse for items and when it isn't enough - that is when you see items dropped from the menu. It may be that it won't be a sweeping implementation or that the pricing structure won't be as uniform as $3 sides. I'm sure the next thing we'll hear is my side was $3 here but $6 here and this restaurant wouldn't let me order a la carte. If there is any chance the DDP will return, I think they will try to get this new structure all running smooth before then.

The loss of advance FP+ and the change in the park reservation system's buckets actually makes it possible for families to not buy DDP for all members (not all would bother with the effort but for people like the OP it would be worth it if parents want DDP). I think this is just the beginning of dining changes going forward. And I would not expect every location to offer the same.

I’ve never really understood having an age cutoff for a “child’s“ meal. It’s priced as a child’s meal because it’s a small portion, not because it’s a great deal for the consumer. It’s not like if you are a 20 year old ordering a child meal you suddenly get a huge portion. I’ve ordered child’s meals at the quick service restaurants (because I wanted a small portion) and no one cared. I do realize that’s it’s a common practice at many restaurants to have an age cutoff for the children‘s menu, so I can’t really blame Disney for doing it…..although to me it still makes no sense.

This should fire people up...

Picky eaters are a parenting decision.
This is such a ridiculous and broad statement. And really, even if it was accurate, what is your point? I'm an adult picky eater and it baffles me how many people are rudely interested in or bothered by what I do and do not eat. It's really none of anyone's business, but my parents tried everything when I was a child and quite frankly it got to a point where it made no sense for this to be a constant battle. And before you jump to conclusions, it had absolutely nothing to do with a power struggle as a child. Do I eat more now than as a kid? Some things yes, some things no. However, I was raised to never be rude in public or private regarding food options. Never expected a separate meal to be made for me. And never expected people to work around my food limitations.

I don't understand the air of superiority some parents have because their kids aren't what they define as picky eaters. Congratulations, your kid could still be an annoying brat while chowing down on a variety of vegetables and exotic fare. To be clear, I'm not directing this specifically at you or saying your kids are annoying brats or saying that kids that are "good" eaters are automatically annoying brats. Just that I'd much rather be around a pleasant, polite, and kind child no matter what they eat and I don't think picky eating determines any of those more important things.

Back to the topic at hand, I've always thought of kids meals as an accommodation to encourage parents with kids to eat out. And while maybe they are not a total loss leader, that they are definitely a much slimmer profit margin than a full adult meal. Especially because they tend to be complete (i.e. include the drink, sides, and possibly dessert). Kids meals have a cut off age for a reason and I think the new pricing structure being discussed actually offers a nice compromise for those looking for smaller portions or more plain food. I do agree that the 9 year old cutoff for a Disney kid is a little rough because a lot of 10 year olds aren't eating full adult portions, but I suppose they have to make the cutoff somewhere and there will always be people who won't be happy whatever that age is.

Last edited:
I’ve never really understood having an age cutoff for a “child’s“ meal. It’s priced as a child’s meal because it’s a small portion, not because it’s a great deal for the consumer. It’s not like if you are a 20 year old ordering a child meal you suddenly get a huge portion. I’ve ordered child’s meals at the quick service restaurants (because I wanted a small portion) and no one cared. I do realize that’s it’s a common practice at many restaurants to have an age cutoff for the children‘s menu, so I can’t really blame Disney for doing it…..although to me it still makes no sense.

Child's meals are actually usually loss leaders or priced with a lower markup than adult meals. They want to bring parents in to purchase food/drinks and they want to get kids ingrained into eating in restaurants as a life-long habit.

So, Disney is now seeking to adjust the pricing of these meals for 10+ to eliminate the deal pricing and to represent the true equivalent reality of total cost (fixed and variable - someone has to pay restaurant overhead costs) + markup to the restaurant that all the rest of their adult menu pricing is based on.

Child's meals are actually usually loss leaders or priced with a lower markup than adult meals. They want to bring parents in to purchase food/drinks and they want to get kids ingrained into eating in restaurants as a life-long habit.

So, Disney is now seeking to adjust the pricing of these meals for 10+ to eliminate the deal pricing and to represent the true equivalent reality of total cost (fixed and variable - someone has to pay restaurant overhead costs) + markup to the restaurant that all the rest of their adult menu pricing is based on.
That’s very interesting. I guess that makes a lot of sense in many cases. However, I highly doubt that childrens menu items have aver been loss leaders at Disney, although I do agree that the profit margin is less (and probably more in line with profit margin on everyday menu items at chain restaurants outside of a theme park.) Having said that, I’m not opposed with marking up menu items on the child menu in line with standard markup for over 9/adult patrons. It would be nice for something to be written in the menu like “Childrren’s menu items available for adult purchase: ask your hostess for pricing options.”

Agree! My 12 and 14 year old would still prefer the kids menu in many restaurants.
What's so funny Denise W? People are just stating that they can't eat adult menus for whatever reason, and that kids of 10 can't either. Some have medical problems that affect how much they eat too. Can't see what' so funny everytime someone says something like that.
I don't like that the laugh emoji is used a lot as an insult to the poster. Wish they have another one besides that laugh emoji.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter