Central Coast

disneychrista

DIS Veteran
I am visiting the central coast in a couple week. I will be based in Pismo Beach for 3 days and Monterey for 2 days. What are you must see/do things in these areas?

Apart from the obvious driving through Big Sur and the dozens of sights along that route, near Pismo Beach there’s Avila Beach, Morro Bay, various wineries around Paso Robles. Heading north there’s Cambria, Elephant Seals south of Ragged Point, the various stuff to see through Big Sur. Then around Monterey there’s the Aquarium, Pacifica area, Carmel, beaches, Point Lobos State Park, Cannery Row, the Marina/wharf area and plenty of other things.
I suggest you have a look at the visit Monterey, Big Sur and Pismo Beach websites.

Pismo is a great base for the Central Coast.

For beaches, both Pismo and Avila are wonderful and have shops and restaurants near the beach. There are also a few hot springs in Avila and we always enjoy Avila Barn.

There are a ton of wineries near Avila, between Arroyo Grande and San Luis Obispo and further north (Paso).

San Luis Obispo is fun - check out the mission, downtown; abs the evening farmers market if you’re there on a Thursday!

We also love morro bay! Lots of tasty seafood, calm waters if you want to kayak or take a bay cruise, and otters to watch

Kayaking among the sea otters in Monterey Bay, walking the Steinbeck Cannery Row history tour, whale watching. Eat dinner at the family owned places (check on yelp) and avoid the chains like Bubba Gumps

Hub and I drive and car camp + hike up there 3-4 times a year.

Pismo Pier , Oceano Dunes slightly to the south (Disney Pirates filmed there). There is Avila and the pier a few miles north.

Morro Bay State Park. Kayak in early AM or drive out to the rock. Montana De Oro State Park to the south.

Hwy 1 can be an E-ride in an RV, and take your time. It's another 2-3 hours up to Monterey Bay on 101. Monterey Aquarium (Reservations required). Coastal bike/ hike trail into Pacific Grove - Asilomar. Carmel 17 mile Drive (Pay for a pass) You can pop up slightly north to Santa Cruz too.

Have fun!

Kayaking among the sea otters in Monterey Bay, walking the Steinbeck Cannery Row history tour, whale watching. Eat dinner at the family owned places (check on yelp) and avoid the chains like Bubba Gumps
Is the Steinbeck tour an official thing?
Hub and I drive and car camp + hike up there 3-4 times a year.

Pismo Pier , Oceano Dunes slightly to the south (Disney Pirates filmed there). There is Avila and the pier a few miles north.

Morro Bay State Park. Kayak in early AM or drive out to the rock. Montana De Oro State Park to the south.

Hwy 1 can be an E-ride in an RV, and take your time. It's another 2-3 hours up to Monterey Bay on 101. Monterey Aquarium (Reservations required). Coastal bike/ hike trail into Pacific Grove - Asilomar. Carmel 17 mile Drive (Pay for a pass) You can pop up slightly north to Santa Cruz too.

Have fun!
How long does it typically take so do the 17 mile drive? It’ll just be me. Not planning on lunch while I am there (that is what breweries are for 😉 )

Is the Steinbeck tour an official thing?

How long does it typically take so do the 17 mile drive? It’ll just be me. Not planning on lunch while I am there (that is what breweries are for 😉 )

The Steinbeck tour is just something you google and follow. The Steinbeck Museum outside Monterey in Salinas is outstanding if you have read his books!

17 mile drive takes a few hours of you stop for photos-which you need to do!

17 mile drive, imo, is a complete waste of time and money. Just drive around Pacific Grove, Asilomar Beach, Point Lobos (arrive early), Ocean View Blvd, Carmel and any other part of the coastline.
There is absolutely no need to pay to drive along 17 mile drive and put up with the traffic unless you want to see the golf courses.

^^ Bingo... I would also agree.
Steinbeck Museum burned down 10+ years ago, so many displays are reproduction artifacts.

Yes on Pacific Grove, Great Tide Pools (Steinbeck and Doc Rickets. Pacific Biological Lab). Asilomar, etc...

Tons of Microbrewery finds. 'Grocery Outlet Bargain Market's" has great prices on micro brews and Central Coast wines. Prices better vs big chains Whole Foods, Trader J's etc...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter