Castaway Cay bicycle rental...how is it and what cool places on the island can you ride to?

I just did this the other day. The bike path is pretty much the runway, the loop that goes to the overlook tower and a path that goes behind the cabanas near serenity bay to a nice viewing area.

There are bikes that have a small child seat in the back but not a trailer.

There is absolutely no incline, but the wind on the runway leading to Serenity bay can be challenging on some days. There is a loop in the middle of the runway leading to an observation tower.

It's a lovely ride that includes a wooden observation tower you can climb, and at its furthest point it takes you to the end of the adult beach, which you can view from behind a fence. As others have mentioned, it's basically flat. There are (or at least were pre-Covid) water stations throughout the route with paper cups, so no need to bring a water bottle.

Last edited:
Have they upgraded/replaced any of the bikes?

Just got back yesterday from our cruise and they did get some new bikes. I did see a few old bikes around still tho. The new bikes looked nice and shiny and the chains haven’t rusted yet. The new bikes are the same style and function as the old ones just a different color. No upgrades that I could see.

The observation tower is fun. It’s on the far side of the island from the ship.
F787B1F2-B41E-4E99-9A30-E196DC7DA1D0.jpeg5F42A219-A15F-475A-B541-00C2791EA950.jpeg

Just be prepared for the tires to be somewhat underinflated. I think I've rented a bike on Castaway 3 times over the years, they've all been underinflated.

They have child seats available on some bikes, but no trailers. I had one of the bikes with the child seat, and I don't know if it was because of the child seat or not, but the (adult) bike seat was really uncomfortable.

Just be prepared for the tires to be somewhat underinflated. I think I've rented a bike on Castaway 3 times over the years, they've all been underinflated.

They have child seats available on some bikes, but no trailers. I had one of the bikes with the child seat, and I don't know if it was because of the child seat or not, but the (adult) bike seat was really uncomfortable.
Meh. I've ridden a bike every time we've been on Castaway Cay (5 times), and never had a problem with bicycle comfort or tire underinflation.

If you're very particular about the type of bike you ride, you might not like these if they're not you're preferred type, but they're bikes in good working order and neither my son nor I have ever had a problem with them.

I love it! Fairly limited where you can go, but its an absolutely lovely ride, and its fun to ride out to the observation tower and climb up. Sure beats doing the trail by foot for the castaway cay 5k!

We rented bikes on our last Disney cruise and had a blast! The bikes are great, and there are plenty of places to ride. You can ride around the entire island, which is about 3 miles. There are also some great places to stop and take pictures.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter