Castaway Cay bicycle rental...how is it and what cool places on the island can you ride to?

TRTRguy

Mouseketeer
I just did this the other day. The bike path is pretty much the runway, the loop that goes to the overlook tower and a path that goes behind the cabanas near serenity bay to a nice viewing area.

There are bikes that have a small child seat in the back but not a trailer.

Marc D

DIS Veteran
There is absolutely no incline, but the wind on the runway leading to Serenity bay can be challenging on some days. There is a loop in the middle of the runway leading to an observation tower.

• EXCLUSIVE - Dreams Unlimited Travel Gift Basket!
    Book your Disney Cruise Line vacation through Dreams Unlimited Travel and receive an exclusive, complimentary Gift Basket. This Gift Basket is a result of client feedback as well as posts from DISboards.com; we call it our “What you didn't know you needed on a Disney Cruise Kit”.
    Click Here for Details

• Cheburashka

DIS Veteran
    It's a lovely ride that includes a wooden observation tower you can climb, and at its furthest point it takes you to the end of the adult beach, which you can view from behind a fence. As others have mentioned, it's basically flat. There are (or at least were pre-Covid) water stations throughout the route with paper cups, so no need to bring a water bottle.

Last edited:

ArielRae

DIS Veteran (NJ)
    Have they upgraded/replaced any of the bikes?
    Just got back yesterday from our cruise and they did get some new bikes. I did see a few old bikes around still tho. The new bikes looked nice and shiny and the chains haven’t rusted yet. The new bikes are the same style and function as the old ones just a different color. No upgrades that I could see.

mevelandry

DIS Veteran
    I see previous posters answered your questions already. IMO, it's nice and fun... And the view from the overlook is very nice.

(OMG, I miss it. I wish I was there right now!)

FB_IMG_1632829072694.jpg
    FB_IMG_1632829083032.jpg

• Weedy

DIS Veteran
    The observation tower is fun. It’s on the far side of the island from the ship.
    F787B1F2-B41E-4E99-9A30-E196DC7DA1D0.jpeg5F42A219-A15F-475A-B541-00C2791EA950.jpeg

JWelch62

DIS Veteran
    What is Strava KOM?
    It's a nerdy cycling thing. Strava is a tool to record rides, and other activities. It awards "King of the Mountain" status (KOM) to the best time on defined sections of roads using GPS.

SyracuseWolvrine

Hockey Fanatic
    Just be prepared for the tires to be somewhat underinflated. I think I've rented a bike on Castaway 3 times over the years, they've all been underinflated.

They have child seats available on some bikes, but no trailers. I had one of the bikes with the child seat, and I don't know if it was because of the child seat or not, but the (adult) bike seat was really uncomfortable.

Cheburashka

DIS Veteran
    Just be prepared for the tires to be somewhat underinflated. I think I've rented a bike on Castaway 3 times over the years, they've all been underinflated.

They have child seats available on some bikes, but no trailers. I had one of the bikes with the child seat, and I don't know if it was because of the child seat or not, but the (adult) bike seat was really uncomfortable.
    Meh. I've ridden a bike every time we've been on Castaway Cay (5 times), and never had a problem with bicycle comfort or tire underinflation.

If you're very particular about the type of bike you ride, you might not like these if they're not you're preferred type, but they're bikes in good working order and neither my son nor I have ever had a problem with them.

shelbell77

DIS Veteran
    I love it! Fairly limited where you can go, but its an absolutely lovely ride, and its fun to ride out to the observation tower and climb up. Sure beats doing the trail by foot for the castaway cay 5k!

Connect

TODAY'S HEADLINES

Book your Disney Cruise through Dreams Unlimited Travel and receive a Shipboard Credit and an Exclusive Gift Basket!