Carvana and license plate

lovin'fl

DIS Veteran
If we buy a car online (like Carvana) and have it delivered where we are (MD) can we get it titled and tagged (registered) in our home state (FL)? Or would we just get temp MD tags and have to take it to FL office to tag and title there? Is there added cost, like paying taxes twice....where it would be wisest to wait and buy car in FL?

Last edited:
If we buy a car online (like Carvana) and have it delivered where we are (MD) can we get it titled and tagged (registered) in our home state (FL)? Or would we just get temp MD tags and have to take it to FL office to tag and title there? Is there added cost, like paying taxes twice....where it would be wisest to wait and buy car in FL?
According to Carvana's website https://www.carvana.com/help/purchasing-a-car/what-are-the-registration-restrictions-in-my-state

This is what both MD and FL say
"There are no additional restrictions! Carvana will process the registration on your behalf and you should receive it in the mail via FedEx 35 - 45 days from the date you receive your vehicle."

As far as the other questions I believe that is going to be state specific again as to how vehicles are handled if you reside in two states and I'm assuming as you described it this way you are snow birds perhaps? So you may want to contact each state's DMV on rules about residency and which state you are supposed to register in. If it's supposed to be FL for instance you may need to contact Carvana because my assumption is they would be tagging it for MD but you can always reach out to Carvana now if you want (I'd still get your state's specific registration information for residency).

And to give information carvana explains that for my state they can't do what I pasted in above and instead it falls on me to do it, get a vehicle inspection and takes the documents to the DMV to get the plate and the registration.

As for other companies if it's not Carvana your main point of contact is likely each state's DMV first then the other websites for information if they do it for you automatically like Carvana does.

We own our home in FL and have FL licenses and car insurance. We have 1 car that is tagged in FL. But our family is all in MD (except our DS who is in FL) so we have a rental with our twin DDs-23 in MD for when we visit. Which the plan was 6 week visits 3 times a year. And if needed for other times like weddings or elderly parents having medical issues or the like, then we can pop up and have a place to stay.

We came the end of Aug for a 6 weeks stay. Have a cruise out of FL on Oct 15th. But a medical issue popped up with my MIL and now DH may have to forgo cruise. I can drive down in our 1 car and go on cruise but then he has no car. And we realized, too, that we should have a small car to keep in FL (then I could fly down and have a car there and DH could stay in MD with current car and drive down whenever).

I could fly down for cruise and buy car there. Then DH would be here with current car. But also would swap my mom for DH on cruise and she'd need to fly too...so 1 way for me and round trip for her which would cost $$$ last minute. Could just get DH a new car here and I drive my mom and I down in current car. Then mom flies home. Also should mention I have flying fear and am out of meds for that. Plus we have 16 year old dog who would need to stay with DH and he definitely would need a car to bring him down to FL or we could let him borrow DDs' cars up here and then fly to FL (I'd then drive current car down and could get DH from airport...but he will have the dog unless I bring him to FL with me and then kennel him for cruise).

Last edited:

When we moved here (Florida) from MD, the tag and title process was easy but they required on site VIN verification. Don't know how that works with Carvana. I also have a 45' motor home that wouldn't fit in the parking lot of the tax collectors office (their version of MVA). I ended up having the sheriff's department come to my house to do the verification. So, the verification still had to be done in person.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter