CARNIVAL VS DCL: The discussion and comparison thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Carnival officially cancelled to end of May 31, 2021. :( Knew it was coming. I have nothing booked until December but am anxious for them to start before I have to PIF to help my decision. Feels like we'll never cruise again.

Carnival officially cancelled to end of May 31, 2021. :( Knew it was coming. I have nothing booked until December but am anxious for them to start before I have to PIF to help my decision. Feels like we'll never cruise again.

Yeah. Definitely saw that one coming.

We have booked at the end of August. Still don’t know if it’s going to happen but the roll out of the vaccines in the USA makes me optimistic. I’m just not sure if DH and I will be vaccinated by that time or what the conditions for travelling will be since Canada has way less vaccines available. That being said, it looks like we might get lucky in June or July.

Yeah. Definitely saw that one coming.

We have booked at the end of August. Still don’t know if it’s going to happen but the roll out of the vaccines in the USA makes me optimistic. I’m just not sure if DH and I will be vaccinated by that time or what the conditions for travelling will be since Canada has way less vaccines available. That being said, it looks like we might get lucky in June or July.

Ontario isn't planning my age group until after July! I'm just so disappointed in the vaccine rollout here. Never mind my son is only 11 so won't be able to get anything until they start testing it on younger groups. The whole things makes me sad. I want to hear the steel drum music and feel the warm breeze with a fruity drink in hand while my kiddo goes on the water slides and does the ropes course.

Ontario isn't planning my age group until after July! I'm just so disappointed in the vaccine rollout here. Never mind my son is only 11 so won't be able to get anything until they start testing it on younger groups. The whole things makes me sad. I want to hear the steel drum music and feel the warm breeze with a fruity drink in hand while my kiddo goes on the water slides and does the ropes course.

I wanna hear steel drum so bad that I’m thinking of buying my own. LOL

I swear I’ll cry tears of joy the day I set foot on a ship.

Sounds like RCL is getting back in business!

I'm 100% fine with a vaccine requirement (don't mean to turn this into a debate!), but really interested to see the mask guidelines. And how daily activities and dining will be handled.

Hopefully this is the light at the end of the tunnel!

In your opinion, will Carnival have their guests be fully vaccined when they restart sailing?

By the look of it (RCCL and NCL now saying they will) while they won't say it, it sure looks like they will.

While it's good news for the company and for the well being of others, if that's the case, it will be the end of our family cruise project for this summer.

My husband and I (unless we get the J&J vaccine before mid-june which would be some kind of miracle) won't be able to get vaccinated on time due to the spacing between the two shots here in Quebec (2-3 months) and we don't expect to be fully vaccinated before the end of September.

At this point, we are hoping to see Carnival announce it sooner than later (and hopefully announcing that they are lifting fees to cancel/postpone? That's what I am hoping for) so we can change plans.

Sounds like RCL is getting back in business!

I'm 100% fine with a vaccine requirement (don't mean to turn this into a debate!), but really interested to see the mask guidelines. And how daily activities and dining will be handled.

Hopefully this is the light at the end of the tunnel!

Based on what I have seen on other cruise lines who have announced fully vaccinated cruises. I believe masks will still be required in many areas... At least in the first months.

Our Alaskan cruise for this September on NCL was officially cancelled today. Got the email this morning. No surprises there. Actually glad to have it official.

We had only put a deposit down so not a ton of money tied up. The letter states a full refund will be processed within 30 days automatically. Also a 10% discount in the form of a Future Cruise Credit.

Maybe we'll get to experience NCL someday!

Our Alaskan cruise for this September on NCL was officially cancelled today. Got the email this morning. No surprises there. Actually glad to have it official.

We had only put a deposit down so not a ton of money tied up. The letter states a full refund will be processed within 30 days automatically. Also a 10% discount in the form of a Future Cruise Credit.

It's a bummer. I have just decided to not even try for a cruise until our planned trip next summer.

It took them exactly one month to refund us...

I'd say they were more efficient than MSC when it comes to refunds. MSC staff on the phone was really nice... but it took them almost three months to refund us...

I would have loved to try one of their ship (NCL and MSC).

Considering the very slow roll out of the vaccines in area, the complicated circumstances regarding testing prior to travelling... and the fact that we expect the mandatory two weeks quarantine to stay well into the summer... We have made the decision to cancel our August cruise on Sunrise.

To replace our cruise we are hoping to be able to have a very nice getaway in Niagara Falls (which we absolutely loved when we visited in 2017) and want to show NF to my in-laws.

We are sad to miss this cruise but the next weeks/months will be way less stressful this way.

To compensate for our loss, we have decided to upgrade our Mardi Gras inside cabins to Inside Cloud 9 Spa cabins! (Thought of doing balconies but oof, balconies on a new ships are expensive, y'all!)

Not gonna lie, I'm even more excited to try Mardi Gras now. Hopefully things will have calmed down by then.

I’m on board with vaccines being required. Until herd immunity can be reached or the virus starts to peter out this is the safest for crew, passengers and the locals in ports.

My mom and I are actually quite disappointed in Carnival’s silence on vaccines. We have decided that our cruise next summer will be the last and we plan to try Royal going forward.

Looks like Norwegian is trying to get back on the seas by July 4. Vaccines required until at least October 31 and I believe I saw 60% capacity initially. It also says during the first full month of operations, NCL shore excursions are required (I assume just if you want to leave the ship?). What does everyone think?

https://www.ncl.com/sail-safe?fbclid=IwAR11qHueNGhzc66V_lILx1EQ_jtt263DQ6Td70TeL6CEKbuxPtQMEHFa1cc
I think none of this is going to work. There's a percentage of people that will get the vaccine, wear masks and be happy about it. There's also a percentage of people that believe in medical confidentiality and freedom to choose. I think most people believe in the latter when it fits their values or narrative, but that concept seems to get lost in all of this.

I don't see how cruise lines can reconcile all this and be successful in the long term. There is so much divisiveness, I think we're in for some turbulent times and cruising may become an afterthought.

Last edited:
Looks like Norwegian is trying to get back on the seas by July 4. Vaccines required until at least October 31 and I believe I saw 60% capacity initially. It also says during the first full month of operations, NCL shore excursions are required (I assume just if you want to leave the ship?). What does everyone think?

https://www.ncl.com/sail-safe?fbclid=IwAR11qHueNGhzc66V_lILx1EQ_jtt263DQ6Td70TeL6CEKbuxPtQMEHFa1cc

I don’t know if they’ll get the okay.... But I’d do it in a heartbeat!

I honestly can‘t see cruising happening without mandatory vaccination. It makes everything simpler for the cruise lines.

EDITED: As soon as the whole family is vaccinated and mandatory quarantine removed we want to try to book a last minute cruise.

Last edited:
I’m on board with vaccines being required. Until herd immunity can be reached or the virus starts to peter out this is the safest for crew, passengers and the locals in ports.

My mom and I are actually quite disappointed in Carnival’s silence on vaccines. We have decided that our cruise next summer will be the last and we plan to try Royal going forward.

I have always felt like Carnival position is always « We don‘t know yet » ... Until they officially announce it. No matter what the subject is. While they are not saying it explicitely, to me, the whole Christine Duffy video and John Heald being so vocal about vaccines makes it obvious that they will make them mandatory.

That being said, I think you might enjoy Royal. :)

.....................................This divisiveness (which IMO has certain roots in the political context) should not have any impact on this pandemic, but unfortunately, it does and that’s a shame.

Things do not have to be turbulent.

Let’s all remember that this is just a moment in time. Chances are that in a year from now, all of this will be behind us. We’ll be back to « normal » (or a new normal). If there is one moment where we should all focus on the love of cruising —which may be the only thing some people have in common—, it’s now. I believe we have to make it work.

NOT SURE if "divisiveness" can ever be overcome. Was it not 1 Year Ago this was going to "be gone" ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter