CARNIVAL VS DCL: The discussion and comparison thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You will love Alaska. People were complaining the New England cruises didn't go to Quebec. They added Quebec, but it doesn't seem to be selling that well. it's still early. Im sure it's a time of year issue. New England cruises tend attract an older crowd.I would only do it with Disney. There probably won't be many kids on board, but hopefully there's a few.

She probably will. I have feeling getting to Quebec is another factor. Flights from the East coast cities were pretty expensive last time I liooked, but pretty reasonable from Arizona. Weird how that works.

Honestly, people who skip Quebec are missing out. It's gorgeous.

My friends are headed to their time share in Grand Cayman next month. I told them to expect lots of company theres nowhere else for the ships to go. Of course we still have another month of peak hurricane season so theres a potential for more islands to get hit. Crazy year for the cruise industry to say the least.

I've checked and I did not see more cruiseships than originally planned for our cruise next month... I wonder if they added them to the port schedule?

No cruise line fills all their ships all the time. I'm quite certain there are some routes and ports that sell better than others. We loved our cruise on the Wonder out of Galveston. We paid more than our Carnival Breeze cruise but we felt we still got equal value out of both based on the overall vacation experience. I'm sure not everyone would come away with the same conclusion.

Maybe not the only one. We have a Sept 2018 cruise out of NYC to Canada that we're very much looking forward to.
I've cruised on the Breeze and the Wonder out of Galveston. I like those cruises. I find Texans to be pretty friendly and laid back. As much as hate the ports it's always a fun cruise.

Are you flying out of Montreal or Quebec?
Yes, some of us in the group have been, on Princess. Which is partly why my parents really wanted to do DCL with all the kids while they're still into characters, etc., and they don't care about the whole one-way aspect of Alaskan cruising since we did that before. No one in the group was very interested in the Caribbean b/c as a whole group - we've done every itinerary possible on other lines, pretty much. And a good chunk of the group are not beach people, so I guess we defy the norm, LOL! But this is partly why I'm (selfishly) a bit sad that we're not going somewhere new to me. I doubt DCL ever puts a ship on a Canadian itinerary in the summer!! I wonder if the kid population will be similar to transatlantics and Panama canal cruises in the fall. But I guess you never know, b/c all of the hurricane issues are going to have to prompt some changes. Every ship on every line can't go do Westerns constantly, or those are going to be some overloaded ports.
There were very few kids on our Alaska cruise Sept 4. I liked it. Probably only 15-20 kids in the Edge. Just the right amount according to my son. I like the cruises with about 300 kids instead of the usual 1200 or so on most Disney cruises. I love the ocean, but not really a beach person. My dh used to surf and he can't get enough of the beach. My kids are more like me.

They say they want more options but the cruises from New York (and Galveston?) don't sell very well ... They are struggling to fill ships.

As someone who lives in New York (Westchester County), I would be on the first ship out of NY if they didn't sail in the fall! That's the absolute worst time of year to take kids out of school, especially once they're old enough to do sports and other activities. And most of the cruises go to Canada in the fall, which is cold! No thank you. If they cruised out of NY in the summer and went to Canada then, (or in the winter and went to the Caribbean,) they'd sell out in a hot minute.

As someone who lives in New York (Westchester County), I would be on the first ship out of NY if they didn't sail in the fall! That's the absolute worst time of year to take kids out of school, especially once they're old enough to do sports and other activities. And most of the cruises go to Canada in the fall, which is cold! No thank you. If they cruised out of NY in the summer and went to Canada then, (or in the winter and went to the Caribbean,) they'd sell out in a hot minute.

Canada --or at least the south part of it, where I live-- is not much colder than NYC.

During spring, summer and fall, in Montreal we rarely have more than 5 degrees (celcius) in difference. Quebec can be slightly cooler but not as much as during winter.

From October until the end of November you can expect weather between 65 to 75 degrees. Cool but not cold. And if you get lucky, each year in October we have a last streak of warm days that we call "l'été indien"... If you cruise here during those days you'd most likely be able to swim outside.

Ex: Right now, since last week and until the end of this week we've been having sun and weather around 90 degrees Fahrenheit. Winter can be cold but last year it wasn't and we've had 75 degrees for Christmas in 2015. Go figure.

I've cruised on the Breeze and the Wonder out of Galveston. I like those cruises. I find Texans to be pretty friendly and laid back. As much as hate the ports it's always a fun cruise.

Are you flying out of Montreal or Quebec?

We leave NY and sail to Quebec but it isn't until Sept 2018 so we haven't thought much about anything else except the cruise itself.

We leave NY and sail to Quebec but it isn't until Sept 2018 so we haven't thought much about anything else except the cruise itself.
Normally I wouldn't think much about the flights this early. We're booked on the WBTA and Quebec. I would love to do both, but my wallet says otherwise. It will come down to flights, logistics and hotel costs. The airline I normally fly on looks to be ending service to Quebec. If I want to use points I would need to fly out of Montreal. That would mean taking bus to Montreal. Flying into London and cruising out of Dover is no piece of cake either, but I've been to London a few times so I'm familiar with it. Crossing the Atlantic during hurricane season is also a big negative. I wonder how it went this year.

I love cruising out of Vancouver. You just jump on the skytrain at the airport, then walk to the Hyatt, and then walk to cruise terminal. It has to be the easiest city in the world to cruise out of. Not to mention one of the most beautiful cities. Just thinking about Vancouver makes me want to go back to Alaska.

Honestly, people who skip Quebec are missing out. It's gorgeous.
The flying over Canada ride at Canada place is what really made me excited about seeing other parts of Canada. Whatever cruise I end up doing I'll get to see some of Eastern Canada...barring no hurricanes going up the East coast.

Normally I wouldn't think much about the flights this early. We're booked on the WBTA and Quebec. I would love to do both, but my wallet says otherwise. It will come down to flights, logistics and hotel costs. The airline I normally fly on looks to be ending service to Quebec. If I want to use points I would need to fly out of Montreal. That would mean taking bus to Montreal. Flying into London and cruising out of Dover is no piece of cake either, but I've been to London a few times so I'm familiar with it. Crossing the Atlantic during hurricane season is also a big negative. I wonder how it went this year.

Don't forget you can also take the Quebec-Montreal train. :)

Don't forget you can also take the Quebec-Montreal train. :)
Good to know. I talked about how easy it is to Cruise out of Vancouver. It was the first time, but last time we flew into Seattle and rented a car. Renting a car would be another option. I managed to drive through downtown Vancouver without running over anyone. There are pedestrians everywhere. People in Arizona don't walk anywhere so it was a different driving experience for me.

My husband and my oldest son cancelled their Germany trip this month and are planning a cruise in Nov. There are so many great deals on cruises in the month of November. I think the hurricanes have scared people off. My dh has never booked a cruise or planned a vacation. It's rather funny. He's gone through about 20 different ships and itinerary's. He's been texting me all day about hotels and transportation. I told him I charge a commission. I'm up to about 20 foot and back rubs at this point. I really hope he tries the Harmony or Vista.

I've seen some ridiculous prices though like 399..00 per person for Anthem of Seas etc. NCl has some great last minute deals. Even the Vista was 1700 dollars for 2 in an inside room 8 day cruise. I've told him not to even bother with itinerary's. If the the Nov 4 Vista changed to a Southern that would be my choice, but it's not up to me.

My dh has an advantage he's not fussy and he doesn't care about the room, and I guarantee you he has no emotional ties to Disney. I can understand why he's overwhelmed. If your not picky about the cruiseline there are just so many options. It's amazing how many great cruises there are when you really start looking.

Back to my own cruise planning:
I was looking at cruises out of NYC on the Horizon for next year. They are pretty pricey....not DCL pricey, but pricey for Carnival. They have a lot of great room options though. The extended Aft balconies on deck 2 in the Family Harbor Area look pretty amazing. I can't imagine having a balcony that close to the ocean, but I think I'd like it.

I think the Horizon is expensive because it's brand new.

Balcony on deck 2 have a lot of fans. However, I hear the Family Harbor guests experience more noise because they are situated under "busy" spots.

Yes, NCL has great last minute deals.

Where is the Anthem going for 399$/pp? We are sailing on her next year. It looks amazing.

I think the Horizon is expensive because it's brand new.

Balcony on deck 2 have a lot of fans. However, I hear the Family Harbor guests experience more noise because they are situated under "busy" spots.

Yes, NCL has great last minute deals.

Where is the Anthem going for 399$/pp? We are sailing on her next year. It looks amazing.
Bahamas and Orlando. A of people book cruises 2months out or less. I think this year their saying nope..no way. That is why I seeing some better prices. I think the Eastern Caribbean ports are out for the foreseeable future that could have something to do with it.
Of course the time of year too.
The slowest time of year for travel is the two weeks before our Thanksgiving and the 2 weeks after between Thanksgiving and Christmas. A lot of Americans travel for the holidays, and they don't plan vacations around those times. If your looking for deals those are pretty good weeks.

Bahamas and Orlando. A of people book cruises 2months out or less. I think this year their saying nope..no way. That is why I seeing some better prices. I think the Eastern Caribbean ports are out for the foreseeable future that could have something to do with it.
Of course the time of year too.
The slowest time of year for travel is the two weeks before our Thanksgiving and the 2 weeks after between Thanksgiving and Christmas. A lot of Americans travel for the holidays, and they don't plan vacations around those times. If your looking for deals those are pretty good weeks.

Good to know. :) Thanks.

I hope you enjoy her as much as we did. Be sure to hit the Taste Bar in the afternoon. I'm pretty sure it opens at 5:30 in Ocean Plaza. They have samples from all the up charge restaurants, usually pretty good stuff.

Thank you!

I have to remember to go to the Taste bar! :/ (There are so many food options on this one compared to DCL and to the Carnival Victory that I wonder if I'm gonna have the time to try them all!)

This is exactly how I see it! For some time DCL has been treating their customers like a commodity. When you treat someone like a commodity, they start to see you as one, and they start to act like one themselves by searching for a better price (easy to find. Lol) AND a better experience (surprised to see that this was also easy to find. Lol.). Gone are the emotional ties that keep people with DCL-- and that is the draw for Disney, emotion.

Other lines are not this way at all. They allow the market to dictate prices. They still give heavily discounted rates to people in the travel industry (not just TAs but everyone-- our friend who uses these rates is a pilot) but they also give great discounts to the public in a variety of ways.

Exactly -- we have gotten extraordinary deals and prices on Princess, HAL, NCL and Carnival, including being upgraded (sometimes free, sometimes very minimal pricing), drink packages, specialty dining, second passenger half price, third passenger free, etc. And I 100% agree about the emotional tug at the heart that Disney depends on to keep families sailing with them. But once you break out and see what's out there price wise, suddenly devotion and loyalty go out the window ;)

And reading what some dissers went through on the TA last month and problems and guest service attitude, etc., I feel like Disney is not only taking passenger loyalty for granted, but sometimes aren't even trying anymore to bring some of that pixie dust along! :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter