Cancelling Swan Reservation

GM! I would call the Swan hotel directly and ask to speak with someone at the front desk. Explain your situation and ask if anything can be done about the rate you booked. If they offer to reschedule you, take it. There are exemptions being granted but you have to qualify under that exemption.

Yup exactly this. Let them know of your reason for cancelling and if the best they can do is future credit maybe take that.

what I wanted was a simple answer 2 pages ago of, "no, none of the cost is refundable and they are going to charge your card the full amount irregardless" literally all I wanted. It took about 15 posts of people chastising me about not understanding contracts to get to it though.

I was asking for data to make a broad determination. If a deposit fee was going to be withheld versus the full sum of the entire trip taken from me. It is not at all indicated on Marriott's site as to when and how much they claw back.

Just as a side note that really doesnt have anything to do with anything, I could care less about the money, money means nothing to me. I make in interest daily what this trip costs fully. It's more about the substance of a hotels behavior to lock people in that I found unbelievable.

You need to look at the specific reservation that you made. For example, on the Marriott website today, they have a room available in October that is listed as:
Prepay Non-refundable Non-changeable, prepay in full, non-refundable if cancelled more than 1 day after booking, no changes

Details are then listed as follows:

• A credit card is required for payment to guarantee the Prepay
  • Non-refundable Non-changeable rate.
  • Prepay rates will be charged the full cost of the reservation
  • within 24 hours of making the reservation.
  • If payment is unsuccessful within 48 hours of making the
  • reservation, the hotel reserves the right to cancel the
  • reservation.
  • Date changes to the reservation are not allowed.
  • Cancellation will result in forfeiture of the prepayment.
  • The credit card used at the time of making the reservation must
  • be valid for the entire stay.

For most of us, choosing this rate means that if I book it today and don't cancel it by tomorrow, I will owe the entire amount of the reservation whether I go or not. Since you still seem to need more information, look at your own reservation and then call Marriott. There is nothing more any of us can offer to you.

OK. That's it. I am closing this thread.

I have neither time nor the patience to be baited into drama. I got my answer and more importantly I found out A LOT about the type of people who post here.

You agreed to a contract. You are now complaining that the hotel dare hold you to what you agreed to.
You've openly admitted you plan on committing credit card fraud in the event that the hotel stand by the agreed upon terms between the two of you.
Plenty of people advised you against doing that.
Maybe we just aren't your kind of people here and that is what you are finding out.

You agreed to a contract. You are now complaining that the hotel dare hold you to what you agreed to.
You've openly admitted you plan on committing credit card fraud in the event that the hotel stand by the agreed upon terms between the two of you.
Plenty of people advised you against doing that.
Maybe we just aren't your kind of people here and that is what you are finding out.
I mean he also said that its not about the money, he makes the cost in interest every day.... so like.. if the money means nothing than why does it even matter? If you dont care about losing the money than the non refund rate is perfect for you.. I feel at this point its rather a troll post but oh well.

I mean he also said that its not about the money, he makes the cost in interest every day.... so like.. if the money means nothing than why does it even matter? If you dont care about losing the money than the non refund rate is perfect for you.. I feel at this point its rather a troll post but oh well.

Except, in other threads, he's talked about Swan and Dolphin prices potentially increasing into the $400 range and being "too rich for [his] blood].

My experience is business will frequently waived cancellation penalties if you have a very good reason. Even Frontier gave me a full credit when I canceled on short notice due to a death in my family.

Many of us told the OP, yes the penalty is the entire cost of your stay.

Many of us suggested calling. Exceptions can be granted. You have to politely ask.

Your credit card should have been charged. Maybe you were booked on.a different rate. Maybe your credit card was declined and you don't have a reservation.

I dont believe this is a full-on get all your money back refund, I think you can move your date or maybe they just take your deposit buts its still not a full refund)
It is a "full-on get all your money back refund." Or, more likely, a "we won't charge you until you check in" policy. That's how most hotels work; the reservation can be cancelled the day before and you aren't out any money.

Why would I call them. It's obvious they arent going to do anything. Why would they, they locked me in. If they moved my date or gave me a refund how would that look to the people paying $30 a more each night for that "luxury"
It’s interesting that you believe “they” locked you in. Didn’t “you” lock yourself in by being lured into a cheaper rate with a non-refundable, pre-payment deal that you agreed to. So you wanted the benefit of the cheaper rate, but not any of the risk. Classy.

The contract reads: If payment is unsuccessful within 48 hours of making the reservation, the hotel reserves the right to cancel reservation". If you are stating you were never charged, its possible your charge was declined. It may have been an error some where. According to the "contract" you probably don't have a reservation. I would call with the confirmed confirmation number, wouldn't be surprised, if it isn't valid.

At least come back and tell us what happened. :wizard:
Yeah… some of us were polite and tried to be helpful… and this would have been a good educational alert.
Currently everything is confusing… Make a car rental and arrive at counter and Sorry Out of Cars for today… Arrive in Las Vegas and linens are in short supply so should you pack your own in the news recently ….
And making any type of phone call requires a lengthy wait for customer assistance… Hoping & asking for other options is not unreasonable…
But if you are serious and want this thread closed or removed I think you might have to “ report” to alert the moderator?

The contract reads: If payment is unsuccessful within 48 hours of making the reservation, the hotel reserves the right to cancel reservation". If you are stating you were never charged, its possible your charge was declined. It may have been an error some where. According to the "contract" you probably don't have a reservation. I would call with the confirmed confirmation number, wouldn't be surprised, if it isn't valid.
Yep. Best thing is to call. Not worth getting all worked up before talking with them to understand exactly what they’re dealing with and what the options are.

Call them. Be polite and calm. First confirm your reservation, then let them know the Delta variant is concerning you and ask about your options. Goodluck and let us know how it turned out. You just don’t know until you call.

Just saying, there's nothing confusing about whether you can refund a fare labeled "non-refundable". They existed before the pandemic too.
Many corporations have altered there “Polcy” in this past year with extensions… DVC for example …
Covid has been a serious threat for Corporate and individual future Planning and will require more than just a Simple response.

I and was asking for an explanation of what those risks were. I am not a child, I understand there are "risks" involved. Is the non-refundable portion a day or some percentage? Marriott wont say anywhere on their site.

I aware I can call them ask for anything I want to ask for. As I mentioned earlier, the money means literally nothing to me so it's not worth my time. This was more about behavioral practices the hotel invokes upon needing to cancel a room. I find the full amount clawed back for goods or services not rendered pretty disgusting. A percentage? yes. A full days fee? yes. If you are cancelling literally hours before arrival, maybe the entire fee should be non refundable. But calling MONTHS beforehand to cancel a room should not result in the entire payment kept for zero goods or services rendered. I could actually see federal litigation at some point popping up. No other industry to my mind can get away with that, not even airlines.
You just don’t know until you call. Answers here don’t really matter. Even if somebody here relays their recent experience, it’s still hard to know if it’s fully applicable to your situation.
The only way to solve this question is to call. No use getting upset before you even know what that answer is. Find out if you have any other options and then go from there.

It seems that they would have charged you the full amount of the prepay rate at the time of booking.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter