• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Cancelling Swan Reservation

Launchpad_Mcquack

Registered
I purchased a 5 night stay in September to the Swan. This was through Marriott's Site and I purchased the cheaper tickets which are non refundable.

My question is this: If I cancel, am I on the hook for the entire $1500? I have checked my credit card and there was no deposit made that I can find, I do have an email reservation confirmation for the dates associated, so do they just charge it upon cancellation the full amount? I am really confused. thanks

The reason I am cancelling is The Delta Covid variant has DOUBLED in the state of FL in the last week alone. 1 in 5 cases are now coming out of Florida. Zero chance I am dealing with that. Even if I am double vacced. When I made the purchase I thought this was all over with. I was wrong.

Last edited:
I purchased a 5 night stay in September to the Swan. This was through Marriott's Site and I purchased the cheaper tickets which are non refundable.

My question is this: If I cancel, am I on the hook for the entire $1500? I have checked my credit card and there was no deposit made that I can find, I do have an email reservation confirmation for the dates associated, so do they just charge it upon cancellation the full amount? I am really confused. thanks

The reason I am cancelling is The Delta Covid variant has DOUBLED in the state of FL in the last week alone. 1 in 5 cases are now coming out of Florida. Zero chance I am dealing with that. Even if I am double vacced. When I made the purchase I thought this was all over with. I was wrong.

Your Swan reservation should have cancelation detailed out on your reservation email. Unless you purchased some non refundable pre pay non changeable rate, you should be able to use the modify/cancel button. I NEVER book a prepay rate anywhere unless I'm absolutely sure of my trip and in that situation, I'd probably still not consider it. If you are a AAA member, usually you can get within a few dollars of the prepay rate. With the ability to cancel.

Anyway, if you are stuck with a prepay rate, call now. Don't wait until the last minute. Call the Marriott reservations line and speak to their customer service to see if they can help you out or work with you in some way. Marriott number - 1-888-236-2427.

Your Swan reservation should have cancelation detailed out on your reservation email. Unless you purchased some non refundable pre pay non changeable rate, you should be able to use the modify/cancel button. I NEVER book a prepay rate anywhere unless I'm absolutely sure of my trip and in that situation, I'd probably still not consider it. If you are a AAA member, usually you can get within a few dollars of the prepay rate. With the ability to cancel.

Anyway, if you are stuck with a prepay rate, call now. Don't wait until the last minute. Call the Marriott reservations line and speak to their customer service to see if they can help you out or work with you in some way. Marriott number - 1-888-236-2427.

thank you. I do see the cancellation details. In fact let me paste them here:

• Commissionable Rate
  • A credit card is required for payment to guarantee the Member
  • Prepay Non-refundable Non-changeable rate.
  • Prepay rates will be charged the full cost of the reservation
  • within 24 hours of making the reservation.
  • If payment is unsuccessful within 48 hours of making the
  • reservation, the hotel reserves the right to cancel the
  • reservation.
  • Date changes to the reservation are not allowed.
  • Cancellation will result in forfeiture of the prepayment.
  • The credit card used at the time of making the reservation must
  • be valid for the entire stay.
Cancelling Your Reservation
  • Changes to your reservation are not permitted. Please note that you may cancel your reservation for no charge before 11:59 PM local hotel time on May 28, 2021.
  • After this time, please note that your prepayment for this special rate is non-refundable.

Does this mean they are going to charge the card I have on file fully? Like I said, I dont believe I put a deposit down on this according to my records.

Cause if that's the case I am going to get a new card number and good luck with them charging $1500 on whatever they have on file. I understand that I should be penalized, but for the full amount? that is egregious no matter what their little contract says.

thank you. I do see the cancellation details. In fact let me past them here:

• Commissionable Rate
  • reservation.
  • Changes to your reservation are not permitted. Please note that you may cancel your reservation for no charge before 11:59 PM local hotel time on May 28, 2021.
  • After this time, please note that your prepayment for this special rate is non-refundable.

Does this mean they are going to charge the card I have on file fully? Like I said, I dont believe I put a deposit down on this according to my records.

Eventually they will charge your card, so get on the phone and call them now and maybe you will get some help. Let us know what they say.

My understanding is that the entire amount of your reservation is owed based on how you booked this. You agreed to the provisions at that time. I don't believe changing your credit card number will do anything more than making it a little more difficult for Marriott to collect what is owed to them. Same as a PP, I never book a non-refundable rate because I never know what might come up between the time I book and the start of my trip.

Based upon the terms and conditions, it appears that your reservation is non-refundable.

I considered S&D for my upcoming Nov trip. This situation is exactly why I decided against S&D. That agreement was WAY too much risk in case something happened that made me need to cancel or change. Do you have trip insurance? Not sure if something like that would help.

I considered S&D for my upcoming Nov trip. This situation is exactly why I decided against S&D. That agreement was WAY too much risk in case something happened that made me need to cancel or change. Do you have trip insurance? Not sure if something like that would help.

There are two prices, one is non-refundable the other is refundable. Using my example, I think the cost of the room each night was $30 more for the refundable option(and I dont believe this is a full-on get all your money back refund, I think you can move your date or maybe they just take your deposit buts its still not a full refund). Over the course of a week of that adds up to $150 on a 5 day trip. So if you do choose the lower tier option apparently they lock you in pretty hard. This is all new for me, but I doing this to learn because traveling is complicated.

I still might go, depends on how the Delta variant looks a month from now. When I booked these I was double vacced and all news was nothing but good and reopenings were happening.

Obviously if there were no Covid issues I would be going for sure. But the news I am hearing out of Florida sounds really bad and about to get worse.

There are two prices, one is non-refundable the other is refundable. Using my example, I think the cost of the room each night was $30 more for the refundable option(and I dont believe this is a full-on get all your money back refund, I think you can move your date or maybe they just take your deposit buts its still not a full refund). Over the course of a week of that adds up to $150 on a 5 day trip. So if you do choose the lower tier option apparently they lock you in pretty hard. This is all new for me, but I doing this to learn because traveling is complicated.

I still might go, depends on how the Delta variant looks a month from now. When I booked these I was double vacced and all news was nothing but good and reopenings were happening.

Obviously if there were no Covid issues I would be going for sure. But the news I am hearing out of Florida sounds really bad and about to get worse.

Just an FYI - we are not talking about what you say in your last statement on the boards anymore. It could get your thread locked, so you might want to edit it. But I definitely understand how you feel.

thank you. I do see the cancellation details. In fact let me paste them here:

• Commissionable Rate
  • reservation.

Cause if that's the case I am going to get a new card number and good luck with them charging $1500 on whatever they have on file. I understand that I should be penalized, but for the full amount? that is egregious no matter what their little contract says.
Most likely if you try to bail on what is owed your CC company will go after you, once S/D shows you made the charge in good faith why will transfer the charge to the new CC worse they will turn it over to a debt collector. Just becuse you get a new CC doesn't change your obligation. What you are talking about is fraud.

You need to call Marriott, talk with them and see if you can cancel or not, you've had the day to call either Marriott or Swan/Dolphin direct to get an answer. None of us know if they will or won't work with you.

Most likely if you try to bail on what is owed your CC company will go after you, once S/D shows you made the charge in good faith why will transfer the charge to the new CC worse they will turn it over to a debt collector. Just becuse you get a new CC doesn't change your obligation. What you are talking about is fraud.

You need to call Marriott, talk with them and see if you can cancel or not, you've had the day to call either Marriott or Swan/Dolphin direct to get an answer. None of us know if they will or won't work with you.

...fraud. sure thing. how about charging someone $1500 for ZERO goods or services, who is calling to cancel a room MONTHS in advance? oh, they wrote down the terms so I guess they can do whatever they want now right? That seems like an appropriate punishment/retribution to just take $1500 from someone and book the room to someone else like its nothing.

Forgive me for asking what might be the most simple question on earth. What happens if I cancel my reservation? Nobody here has ever or know anyone who has ever canceled a reservation??? nobody has gotten sick and not been able to go? Nobody has had a family emergency and needed to cancel? Nobody has broken their leg and had to cancel? ....I am AMAZED how this seems to be such a complicated and perplexing question.

@Launchpad_Mcquack you've read answers here and on the S/D thread from several posters, it's not refundable. You may not like the answers but that's what it is. You can check with your trip insurance, if you got that. But you entered into an agreement with the hotel, you got a cheaper rate in exchange for giving up your abiilty to cancel for a refund. I still do not understand why you have not called Marriott already.

@Launchpad_Mcquack you've read answers here and on the S/D thread from several posters, it's not refundable. You may not like the answers but that's what it is. You can check with your trip insurance, if you got that. But you entered into an agreement with the hotel, you got a cheaper rate in exchange for giving up your abiilty to cancel for a refund. I still do not understand why you have not called Marriott already.

Why would I call them. It's obvious they arent going to do anything. Why would they, they locked me in. If they moved my date or gave me a refund how would that look to the people paying $30 a more each night for that "luxury"

I don’t understand why you think being charged is unreasonable. You gambled on a lower rate by agreeing to no-cancellation. If you don’t go you lost the gamble. They have every right to charge you.

Now since covid is still around maybe you will luck into moving dates with no penalty.

and going forward you will have learned an important lesson - most of us never book no refundable. Life happens and this past year taught us that in spades.

Last edited:
If you call them and ask, they may work with you. But you entered into a contract, that specifically stated it was non refundable. If you chose not to call, then they definitely will charge you. Its in documents that you agreed to when you booked.

I would definitely call and then again call to speak to their Accounting Dept during Business Hours Monday-Friday to suggest an extension.
Covid has created a different set of rules and flexibility. I doubt the weekend representative has authority but you should call to get it documented that you will call back during business hours.
For instance my daughters family was in process of getting that 72 hour Covid test before Hawaii trip…and one of them tested positive with no illness…but last minute cancellation and airlines has extended the reservation and Hilton also… this was like day before departure …
I hope this works out for your family.
I will add that I have repeatedly gone to their site and it is terrible …trying to book a reservation and it is far more confusing than every other booking site like Disney or Hilton. I almost clicked on the Confirm when I realized it was a no cancel policy… I don‘t know what it was but I don’t even want to deal with them … I don’t even want to go back to try to figure out why it was confusing but now I feel it was deceitful in a corporate way. I could be totally wrong but not even going to visit the site just in case… I also don’t like the Bus Transportation confusion recently and guests are going to Nearby Disney anyway for bus.. & now with the early morn Yes Maybe No Yes and later afterhours No Yes Maybe … Deceitful ? maybe Yes no who cares don’t care anymore.
But Good luck and sorry …
And you are correct about keeping yourself safe which could be even more confusion returning…

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter