Cancel July 13 cruise now and lose deposit?

Your situation is a tough one - July is long enough away that the cruise could actually sail. So if you wait for it to cancel and it doesn’t, you could lose more money than just your deposit.

We were in a similar situation. We had a May 16th cruise that we debated on cancelling and losing the deposit or just waiting for disney to cancel. We were pretty confident that our cruise would cancel, so we just waited it out. The option of moving the cruise with a 100% credit wasn’t a good one for us because the credit didn’t cover the same cruise next year.

If I were you and I knew 100% that I would not put my family on the cruise if it were to sail, I would cancel now and just lose the deposit.

Yes, this is the one we are on and we are still holding out hope!
Awesome! You're the first person I've seen online with the same cruise. :)
Hopefully we'll get to go; I'm not convinced that a cancellation is a foregone conclusion. Disney will be free to sail the moment the CDC declares that the virus is no longer a national crisis, and that could very well happen in the next 4-6 weeks. No comment on whether that's good or bad policy, but we're more than happy to cruise if it's an option!

Also, booking our activities was a blast. 🛳

Thanks for you advice everybody. After spending a lot of time discussing with the family, we determined that we just were not comfortable sailing on July 13 even if the Dream does sail. My main concern is that the early cruises will have likely extra precautions like masks, no buffets, low capacity shows and possibly some other closures of onboard and port activities. This plus the ongoing concerns that will be there about virus related issues. With all we are paying it doesn't make sense to us to risk all of this at this time.

I called the concierge line today and got through right away and did the cancellation and forfeited the 20% deposit but got a 80% refund for the rest since we were right at 90 days out. They said it shoudl post in a few weeks, but reports seem to indicate it may take much longer. After today we would have lost 50% of the fare on cancellations.

Finally, the DisneyCruiseBlog is reporting that for all cancelled sailings up to this point, they are actually retroactively contacting those who cancelled to refund their deposits, so there is a decent chance we'll get the 20% back if there is a cancellation anyways.

We just wanted to avoid being in a situation where the ship DID sail, and us not wanting to go, and having to reschedule to next year and Disney holding onto our funds for another 12 months.

We'll rebook for sure, but I feel more in control of when we do this, when the family is more comfortable with everything.

thx
B

Thanks for you advice everybody. After spending a lot of time discussing with the family, we determined that we just were not comfortable sailing on July 13 even if the Dream does sail. My main concern is that the early cruises will have likely extra precautions like masks, no buffets, low capacity shows and possibly some other closures of onboard and port activities. This plus the ongoing concerns that will be there about virus related issues. With all we are paying it doesn't make sense to us to risk all of this at this time.

I called the concierge line today and got through right away and did the cancellation and forfeited the 20% deposit but got a 80% refund for the rest since we were right at 90 days out. They said it shoudl post in a few weeks, but reports seem to indicate it may take much longer. After today we would have lost 50% of the fare on cancellations.

Finally, the DisneyCruiseBlog is reporting that for all cancelled sailings up to this point, they are actually retroactively contacting those who cancelled to refund their deposits, so there is a decent chance we'll get the 20% back if there is a cancellation anyways.

We just wanted to avoid being in a situation where the ship DID sail, and us not wanting to go, and having to reschedule to next year and Disney holding onto our funds for another 12 months.

We'll rebook for sure, but I feel more in control of when we do this, when the family is more comfortable with everything.

thx
B

We got our refund (minus deposit) about a week after we cancelled so hopefully won't take too long for you. Sorry--I know there are no great choices now and yours sounded especially tough. Hope you at least have some peace of mind now.

thx
B
Good decision. I HOPE Disney once they resume sailing will allow for a flexible cancellation policy for the first few months, especially since medically compromised people will need to make individual decisions.

I HOPE but who knows.

Have concierge rooms for Alaska in late July. As a medical professional, I’m about 99% sure they’re going to cancel. Remember, just because USA opens, doesn’t mean foreign ports will be... and all it takes is one person on a boat of 3,000 to be sick and infect everyone. Yeah. There are no more cruises until a vaccine is out.

AGREED.

thx
B
This is probably the best reason to not take a near-term sailing that I've seen so far. We aren't as concerned about contracting the virus, but if the quality of the cruise is harmed as a result of precautionary measures then I would rather delay it until we have another opportunity.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/trav...ough-june-amid-coronavirus-crisis/2991576001/
https://www.adn.com/business-econom...ska-sailings-because-of-coronavirus-pandemic/
This is just the beginning. Cruises are just the perfect storm for virus outbreaks. There are literary around 6000 crew and passengers STILL stuck on cruises today. The cruise industry is going to take the brunt of the blame in the travel industry and all of the big cruise companies know that if they start again too soon they will be priming themselves for litigation. I’m guessing a cruise line or two won’t make it back from this.

I think DCL has done the right thing this entire time, and I believe in their cleaning and boarding practices. I think Disney is definitely the cleanest and safest cruise line out there. But their sailings will be delayed too as their hand is forced by the industry as a whole.

Last edited:
just for fun I did on line check in for my June Alaska cruise that we KNEW was getting cancelled. System let me check in. Just because the check in system works doesn’t mean cruise happening.

Thank you. I am aware the system doesn't mean we are sailing, I just didn't want to stay up to try and check in, if it wasn't going to let me do anything. Fingers crossed things are settled down soon and we can all enjoy sailing and planning trips again!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter