Cancel July 13 cruise now and lose deposit?

Sour gummi

Earning My Ears
We booked concierge and are Paid in Full. We can cancel by Tuesday, April 14, and still get 75% of our money back. Deposit is no longer refundable. Should we cut our losses and cancel the cruise now and get 75% back now?

I understand we would get a full refund if the cruise winds up as cancelled...

However, I'm concerned that our cruise actually WILL be one of the first to sail. I feel that these initial cruises will have several things closed or highly protected and we'll also likely be somewhat nervous and extra cautious the whole time about contracting COVID. I feel all this would impact the experience that we are paying a lot of money for. We also will likely not able to take our 70 year old grandmother since I'd think the first few cruises would be at high risk for the older guests. I've even heard that there may be a maximum age limit on some initial cruises?

I understand that they will likely give us the opportunity to reschedule even if they do sail, but at that point the funds would be fully non-refundable and they would have our money for another year if we decide to reschedule to next Summer.

So to summarize, should we get 75% back now, or reschedule to next year (when that option opens up) and apply 100% of the funds to next Summer? I'm not very excited about Disney hanging onto our money for another 12 months...

thx!

I guess if you are sure you don't want to sail then cancel now and get back 75%.

IMO there is still a possibility for sailing at that time. We sail on 7/11 and are still holding out hope.

We are sailing in July too, and I'm hoping Disney cancels it. Like OP, we are booked concierge. If Disney doesn't cancel, I think we will even though we will lose a decent amount of money. I do not want to be on a ship for at least another year.

We are booked on a 7/11 sailing. We also have toyed with the idea of cancelling and losing our deposit, or just rolling over the credit to a future sailing. We have no intention of getting on a cruise to no where in early July. However, my husband (who also works for a cruise line) is convinced the sailings are not operating in early July based on a number of factors. So we are just going to wait it out. If they do not cancel sailing, we will just roll it over.

Operating a cruise ship is not going to be as easy as reopening stores and restaurants. Not only do the cruise lines have to secure international personal and ensure that their staff is able to fly to the US to board their ships, but they will need to be able to ensure that they will not become breeding grounds for the disease. Unless we develop a reliable antibody test before July 2020, I don’t see the sailings before July 19th (the last day covered by the CDC order) happening. This would become a huge liability issue, and the companies would not want that unnecessary exposure. Now, after that order expires they can defend against any claims by responding that they followed the CDC’s guidelines.

When is your cut off date for when you’d lose more money?? At this point I’d wait until closer to that date because then you'll get an idea of what DCL is doing.... I mean you won’t lose any more $$$ between now and then 👍 good luck I hope it works out the best way for you!

Operating a cruise ship is not going to be as easy as reopening stores and restaurants. Not only do the cruise lines have to secure international personal and ensure that their staff is able to fly to the US to board their ships, but they will need to be able to ensure that they will not become breeding grounds for the disease. Unless we develop a reliable antibody test before July 2020, I don’t see the sailings before July 19th (the last day covered by the CDC order) happening. This would become a huge liability issue, and the companies would not want that unnecessary exposure. Now, after that order expires they can defend against any claims by responding that they followed the CDC’s guidelines.

There's debate, even amongst the media/analysts, that the 100 days is from the original order, March 14 I believe. So, the 100 days date could be June or July. Also, the exemptions allow for the 100 days to be cut short, and they also allow for it to be extended. It's really a gamble at this point. Dates really don't mean squat right now until cruise line cancel cruises and people are stepping foot on ships.

We sail 7/18 out of Barcelona..I’m about 90% sure Disney will cancel so I’m holding out, but had already PIF when the option to change came out. Our plan is to wait it out but will book next year at 100% if we have too
Good luck!

Holding out too and waiting for Disney to cancel Med 7/13 cruise :) good luck with your decision! I can say I really hate the position everyone is in due to this... it’s really a lose lose situation for everyone. But most of all, I hate waiting! I’m a very impatient person and I hate that we’re all in limbo...

Have concierge rooms for Alaska in late July. As a medical professional, I’m about 99% sure they’re going to cancel. Remember, just because USA opens, doesn’t mean foreign ports will be... and all it takes is one person on a boat of 3,000 to be sick and infect everyone. Yeah. There are no more cruises until a vaccine is out.

I guess if you are sure you don't want to sail then cancel now and get back 75%.

IMO there is still a possibility for sailing at that time. We sail on 7/11 and are still holding out hope.
We're also sailing on 11 July and are super-hopeful that it proceeds as planned! Are you on the Eastern Caribbean cruise?

July 18th sailing here - I am 60/40 on if the ship sails. We are waiting it out and hoping for the best but preparing the littles for a delay. We already lost Spring Break at WDW, so they understand but still sad. We booked opening day for this cruise, so we have been counting down a while.

Anyone with earlier sailings in July been able to complete check in?

So as an update, Carnival just suspended all sailings to the Caribbean until June 27th. Still short of the deadline set by the CDC website, but the July 11th sailing is not too far off.

July 18th sailing here - I am 60/40 on if the ship sails. We are waiting it out and hoping for the best but preparing the littles for a delay. We already lost Spring Break at WDW, so they understand but still sad. We booked opening day for this cruise, so we have been counting down a while.

Anyone with earlier sailings in July been able to complete check in?

just for fun I did on line check in for my June Alaska cruise that we KNEW was getting cancelled. System let me check in. Just because the check in system works doesn’t mean cruise happening.

If it were me, I would cancel now. I know I am not going to get on a cruise ship in July whether it sails or not. If it is eventually cancelled, I would politely ask Disney to refund the 25%. They might, they might not.

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter