Canadians renting DVC reservations

Yes, we have been doing this for years and save money compared to rack or promotional rates. We have rented with David's DVC Rental and a couple of members on the DVC rental forum.

The only thing to be cautious of is that the person renting out the points can change your reservations up to the moment you check in and could technically pull the reservation right out from under you. You would have no recourse with Disney at all. We do all we can to mitigate this risk (use David's, vet out members on the DVC Rental forum, use the same members we have used before, or buy insurance). After doing this for more than ten years, we have never had an issue.

As a Canadian, if you do not use David's or some other site that takes a credit card, you will have to get payment to the owner, and there can sometimes be a fee associated with that, depending on how you do it.

I highly recommend this approach, as we have saved a lot of money over the years.

Yes, we have been doing this for years and save money compared to rack or promotional rates. We have rented with David's DVC Rental and a couple of members on the DVC rental forum.

The only thing to be cautious of is that the person renting out the points can change your reservations up to the moment you check in and could technically pull the reservation right out from under you. You would have no recourse with Disney at all. We do all we can to mitigate this risk (use David's, vet out members on the DVC Rental forum, use the same members we have used before, or buy insurance). After doing this for more than ten years, we have never had an issue.

As a Canadian, if you do not use David's or some other site that takes a credit card, you will have to get payment to the owner, and there can sometimes be a fee associated with that, depending on how you do it.

I highly recommend this approach, as we have saved a lot of money over the years.
And to add on to this, although Davids works in USD, they are a Canadian company based in London, ON, so you'd be supporting a Canadian business!!

Hi TammyLynn33
I have rented out my reservations using David's 3 or 4 times.
During Covid I ended up eating one of the reservations (my choice) ,,, but other than that no issues. I believe David's has added some new guidelines to cover himself during times of
Force Majeure
***unforeseeable circumstances that prevent someone from fulfilling a contract***.
**Read the contract he sends you.**
Be prepared to have the time to call DVC with info once David's calls/Emails you.
Do not make any changes to the reservation once the booking has been made.
Also you will need a PayPal account to receive the USD Funds.
Privately renting out is not something I have done.
I think *Mort1331* has done some private rentals.

Best wishes
Mel

Here are some reviews
https://dvcrequest.com/information/guestbook

Last edited:

We used David's to rent out some banked points when we bought our contract last year. Was very easy. I think they paid 75% at booking, 25% at check in. It was a very quick turn around for everything. I'd use them again.

As a first timer, I didn't want to have to worry about contracts, etc. You can get more per point for sure renting on your own, especially since your points are Riviera.

We've rented points for stays 5 times so far, all of them done privately with zero issues at all! I tried to do it again for our upcoming stay in July but there was no availability for the days and room size we wanted. I've found the private renters mostly through this site but once found them another way. I now have a contact to a wonderful woman who is Canadian and she accepts the funds not only in CAD but also via Interac transfer which helps with both the exchange rate but also with the Paypal fees! Sadly, she does not own at VGC so had to wait until the 7 month date to try and book this time with no luck.

Hi TammyLynn33
I have rented out my reservations using David's 3 or 4 times.
During Covid I ended up eating one of the reservations (my choice) ,,, but other than that no issues. I believe David's has added some new guidelines to cover himself during times of
Force Majeure
***unforeseeable circumstances that prevent someone from fulfilling a contract***.
**Read the contract he sends you.**
Be prepared to have the time to call DVC with info once David's calls/Emails you.
Do not make any changes to the reservation once the booking has been made.
Also you will need a PayPal account to receive the USD Funds.
Privately renting out is not something I have done.
I think *Mort1331* has done some private rentals.

Best wishes
Mel

Here are some reviews
https://dvcrequest.com/information/guestbook
Shhhh,,,,giving away my slush fund that I am hiding from the wife.
kidding.
Yes I started renting my points with Dave, but quickly switched to these boards for a few reasons. But I would say the way the people on these boards run the rent/trade boards are great. There is never a full guarantee,,,not even from the rental companies,,,The only true guarantee would be booking direct with the Mouse.
That being said,,you can save a ton of money with one of the rental companies,,,and more with a private on these boards. I would caution against rentals from FB or some others out there. Most are legit,,but there are too many that are not,,and there is no recourse for anyone.
Good luck and you are the only one who knows your risk tolerance.

If the OP is wondering about the process of renting out her/his points:

During the pandemic and I had points that were going to expire in 2021, I tried to rent through Davids without luck. I was able to rent them directly through various Facebook groups. Back then the $/points was no where as high as they go for now, but at least the points were not wasted and I got back $ in USD which made it easy to pay my DVC dues. I drew up a contract that asked renters to sign and send back to acknowledge they were to pay me in full up front, but that I would help them to the best of my ability to make changes should they need to cancel.

I was somewhat surprised at how much faith the renters ended up having in me, as someone they didn't really know and at that time I didn't have any references (although I gave them a good deal then). Now that I have references it' s a lot easier and have rented in both CAD$ and USD$ - the latter good for the dues. Crazy how the point values have gone up. I remember not that long ago when the prevailing rental rate was $10-12 USD/point, and it's $20 USD/point!

Honestly, I don't know how comfortable I would be renting points unless the person had references. As a renter, I think David's does a nice job as an intermediary. But there seem to be more options on boards like these and on Facebook groups.

We rented from David's pre-Covid and it went great. If ever I was looking to rent in the future I would likely try the boards here first.

We rented from David's pre-Covid as well and it was easy. We are renting from David's for our spring trip this year as well.

Hi, I am also from Canada! In the past we rented from Davids and had 0 issues. We also fount someone on the boards here to rent from and it worked out wonderful as well.I did rent from the same owner over. a few years, but did end of losing a rental because of covid and my daughter's illness. We are also DVC owners and I have rented my points under his service. I have done this 4 times and no issues. As others stated do your research. For us it was a comfort level using Davids until we fully understood the pros and cons. Enjoy your vacation.. DVC has given my family the opportunity to stay at almost every resort! We also LOVE the space :)

I listed my points thru David’s. Rec’d the first payment tranche and expect the balance when the stay occurs in March.

The only downside is that the money is sent via pay pal and I couldn’t figure out how to transfer it into my RBC USD account, so ended up just purchasing Disney gift cards and using those to pay my DVC dues.

Guess I’ll just have to keep the next payment in my PP account until next year’s dues come due (unless anyone else has a better idea)???

I listed my points thru David’s. Rec’d the first payment tranche and expect the balance when the stay occurs in March.

The only downside is that the money is sent via pay pal and I couldn’t figure out how to transfer it into my RBC USD account, so ended up just purchasing Disney gift cards and using those to pay my DVC dues.

Guess I’ll just have to keep the next payment in my PP account until next year’s dues come due (unless anyone else has a better idea)???
We have ours hooked up with our US rbc account,,not a Canadian RBC USD, then if needed just transfer to our Can account.

Did you use PayPal to buy the Disney US gc right from Disney? Or another site? I'm trying to figure out how to use ours as well without losing the exchange.

With Paypal, you have to have a US-based USD bank account to transfer the funds over to. A lot of Canadian banks should have a US-based branch that you can get an account set up with.

I am with CIBC, and have been able to link my US-based USD bank account to paypal. I don't rent using a third party. Usually directly through the Disboards or through Facebook and have renters send me the funds in USD to Paypal. I then transfer it from Paypal to my US-based bank account. From there, you can also transfer it into your Canadian based USD account with the same bank fairly easily. I only do this since that's where my US dollar credit card is linked and how I can pay off my USD credit card when needed.

Prior to this, I did just use the Paypal balance to purchase Disney gift cards to pay dues or use on Disney trips. It usually all goes back to the Mouse anyways...

I now have a contact to a wonderful woman who is Canadian and she accepts the funds not only in CAD but also via Interac transfer which helps with both the exchange rate but also with the Paypal fees! Sadly, she does not own at VGC so had to wait until the 7 month date to try and book this time with no luck.
Debating purchasing some DL Tower points when they go on sale, so I may have some DL points in the future!
I am not actively renting at the moment, but working on some possibilities for next year. I did several rentals for Canadians last year, and sure like the simplicity of using interac for payment. Was thinking of sending out an email to previous renters in a month or so. Canadians can contact me (PM) if you’d like to be “on my list”.
Obligatory Statement - This is not a rental solicitation as those can only be posted on the rent/trade board.

Debating purchasing some DL Tower points when they go on sale, so I may have some DL points in the future!
I am not actively renting at the moment, but working on some possibilities for next year. I did several rentals for Canadians last year, and sure like the simplicity of using interac for payment. Was thinking of sending out an email to previous renters in a month or so. Canadians can contact me (PM) if you’d like to be “on my list”.
Obligatory Statement - This is not a rental solicitation as those can only be posted on the rent/trade board.

/wave

You bet I want to be "on your list"! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter