Canadian DVC Members - 198 - List on Page 1

Hi everyone! We purchased 60 resale points for Saratoga Springs last summer. I'm taking a trip with my three daughters for 5 nights in an AKV Studio in April and we're extending our August family trip by 2 nights at BWV in a 1 bedroom villa. We haven't regretted our decision for 1 second - it has been a dream come true! :cloud9:

Another DVC'er here. We bought July 2006 and have been back once already. Can't wait to use points to go other places too, like Spain and such.

First, let me say that I do not own DVC and you may choose to disregard what I have to say because of that but I believe it is relevant. I think that using your DVC to trade into other places may be a terrible use of your points. A better plan may be to rent your points to subsidize vacations elsewhere but I'm not even sure that is a good use of your points. If frequent trading or renting is in your plans, wouldn't owning elsewhere be a better course?

Hi ...Add me to the list ... I bought 220 points at AKV last October. I've been once already and am planning a trip in Sept. and Dec of 2008. Also hoping to go in May 2009. I received incentive points from booking on my cruise and am using them to go on the Backstage Magic tour with Adventures by Disney. I would say I am getting my money's worth so far.

Hi. We purchased our first set of points in 2002. We now have 425 pts. We had the case of addonities twice and with the last one last year with AKV. I feel it coming on again.:lmao: :lmao:

We love our DVC vacations. :woohoo: :cool1: We used to go once a year in the beginning and then within 3 years, with our first add on, we decided to go twice a year. We find the airfares quite expensive so when we did our second add on, we added more days to each of our vacations so it will be worth it. I just wished we were able to drive there:rolleyes1 , so we could buy more points and visit more times:rotfl:

Welcome Home Everybody!:yay:

Hi there! We own at AKV! We bought at DL so we have founding rights for GCV and anxiously awaiting Hawaii also....addonitis here we come!

With respect to what calgarygary mention, I did hear that DVC is one of the more expensive timeshares and if you wanted to use the points to trade with another timeshare company, it would not be cost effective. If you do plan on doing this often, it would probably cheaper to buy into other timeshares. I was told the same thing. We only use ours for Disney. We love Disney! I know the guides always say that you are not restricted into only Disney vacations, you can use it all over the world and it is very flexible. So, if you are like us, and probably use it for a trade once in a while, it's great.

First, let me say that I do not own DVC and you may choose to disregard what I have to say because of that but I believe it is relevant. I think that using your DVC to trade into other places may be a terrible use of your points. A better plan may be to rent your points to subsidize vacations elsewhere but I'm not even sure that is a good use of your points. If frequent trading or renting is in your plans, wouldn't owning elsewhere be a better course?

That in there lies the beauty of DVC...the flexibility. Owning DVC you are not stuck visiting the same place year after year.
Renting points is a huge leap of faith. The renter loses complete control of their reservation, the rentee may or may not get paid. You are completely on your own. Lots of people do it however and maintain good relationships with consistent renters. We rented points for a April trip with the intention of buying in Florida. However to take advantage of incentives we decided to purchase in DL. So now dh and I have a sweet little trip planned for April with tons of free time!:cool1: If you are a frequent trader DVC could be a good choice. One year take the grandkids to WDW next year dh and I can go to the South Pacific. Is their cheaper deals out there for timeshares? Probably however what you get for you dollar is pretty great at DVC!

That in there lies the beauty of DVC...the flexibility. Owning DVC you are not stuck visiting the same place year after year.
Renting points is a huge leap of faith. The renter loses complete control of their reservation, the rentee may or may not get paid. You are completely on your own. Lots of people do it however and maintain good relationships with consistent renters. We rented points for a April trip with the intention of buying in Florida. However to take advantage of incentives we decided to purchase in DL. So now dh and I have a sweet little trip planned for April with tons of free time!:cool1: If you are a frequent trader DVC could be a good choice. One year take the grandkids to WDW next year dh and I can go to the South Pacific. Is their cheaper deals out there for timeshares? Probably however what you get for you dollar is pretty great at DVC!

If you are considering trading regularly DVC is not a very good purchase. If you are committed to Disney, and want to be onsite than I believe DVC is a great purchase. I don't think that I need to go into the benefits of why DVC is a great choice if you plan to stay onsite, almost everybody here already knows this. However, for those that have not researched, let me explain why DVC is not a good choice if you plan to trade. Many ts are excellent traders at a fraction of the cost of DVC. For example, I am booked into Harborside this coming Labour Day week using a 2 bedroom ts in the Starwood system in what would likely be considered DVC's choice season. A 2 bedroom contract at OKW (as an example) would have annual fees apx. $130 higher than mine. On the resale market, the OKW contract would cost apx. 3 times as much as my timeshare. Bottom line for me, DVC is great for those that plan to stay onsite the great majority of times and a bad choice for those that plan to trade.

If you are considering trading regularly DVC is not a very good purchase. If you are committed to Disney, and want to be onsite than I believe DVC is a great purchase. I don't think that I need to go into the benefits of why DVC is a great choice if you plan to stay onsite, almost everybody here already knows this. However, for those that have not researched, let me explain why DVC is not a good choice if you plan to trade. Many ts are excellent traders at a fraction of the cost of DVC. For example, I am booked into Harborside this coming Labour Day week using a 2 bedroom ts in the Starwood system in what would likely be considered DVC's choice season. A 2 bedroom contract at OKW (as an example) would have annual fees apx. $130 higher than mine. On the resale market, the OKW contract would cost apx. 3 times as much as my timeshare. Bottom line for me, DVC is great for those that plan to stay onsite the great majority of times and a bad choice for those that plan to trade.

DVC is definitely not the cheapest when you compare it to other time shares. However not all time shares offer the same level of flexibility as DVC. However if you place a dollar value on paying cash for a trade and using your points for a trade the point values are very reasonable for DVC trades. There is options for everyone. You have found one that works for your family and we found one that works for ours:goodvibes

Just a reminder to all..

The ONLY place on the DIS for rent/trade transactions is the DVC Rent/Trade board that is very strictly managed.

Please keep in mind that this is for your protection as much as anything.

Thanks

Knox

Just a reminder to all..

The ONLY place on the DIS for rent/trade transactions is the DVC Rent/Trade board that is very strictly managed.

Please keep in mind that this is for your protection as much as anything.

Thanks

Knox

Just to add to that. Make sure you READ all the sticky's before posting in the rent/trade forum as CanadianGuy said it is very strictly managed. Bad experiences rarely happen but they do happen. If you choose to rent out points or rent someone's points Disney nor the DIS will get involved if their are problems with the transaction.:goodvibes

Put me on the list.
DW & myself bought at AKV in October while on a disney Cruise.

We're staying at the Beach Club Villas in March and planning another trip to WDW with perhaps at stop at Hilton Head this August.

Just noticed this was stickied now.

We are members at OKW, and have been vacationing there for 10 years now. We just got back last night, so I'm in WDW withdrawal today. :( :sad1:

Purchased in 2007 . . . just waiting for our first trip home this May:cool1:

52 now. I think if the dollar stays strong there will plenty more of us soon.

I'm thinking of adding-on when we go down at the end of Feb but might wait for GCV. It's normally easier and cheaper for flights to LA from Saskatoon then to Florida.

I own at OKW and took my first trip in January 2008. Stayed at SSR.

Working a stay for August 2008 at AKL, and possibly a couple of nights at BW.

Hello from Melville Saskatchewan, We purchased in SSR and our first trip home is in 15 days :cheer2:

SSR owner checking in! (just noticed this thread in the stickies)

We bought in Dec 2006 - first use of points was OKW GV in Feb 2007 - heading down for our 2nd trip on points next week to SSR. It will be nice to finally make it home. Our 3rd trip will be a 4 day trip WITHOUT THE KIDS in March. (4th trip is already being planned - going with best friends Feb 2009)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!