Can you use luggage carts at resorts?

aubriee said:
We have used the carts at the Values, but had to leave a driver's license. At the moderates and deluxes, we've always been told no.:confused3 I just assumed it was because they wanted their tip, but even at the Values we always tipped the guy we returned the cart to, so they still got the tip.:confused3

We have been asked to show a license the last year or so but they haven't kept it. The manager told us this because they only want someone aged 18 or older taking carts for liability reasons. That is OUR experience. We stay at POP. I'm getting ready to check into POP for my 14th stay (I think...I have over 90 days there) on Sunday.
We still see adults though that have borrowed carts and as soon as they are out of sight of Bell services/Luggage Assistance, they let their kids 'ride' back to the room on the cart! UGH! And then people wonder why the resorts don't want to loan them out?? SMH...

DS and I had already checked in at BWV, our luggage had already been brought by ME. A little while later DDIL arrived, she had been visiting a friend and met us there. She had her bags, water, beer and some food. We asked if we could use a cart and they told us "they were a full service resort" and we could not. I explained we wanted this brought up NOW. We didn't want to waste time waiting around in the room for them. You have to be in your room if you store anything. They did have someone bring everything up right then!.

As for having problems with storing things. We have never had any. You can tell them you have laptops and they will lock them up. They even have a refrigerated area if you have to store food.

I feel bad for those people waiting in their rooms who were waiting their turn.

I feel bad for those people waiting in their rooms who were waiting their turn.

Me too. :sad2: I don't ever remember waiting more than 10, 15 minutes tops for our luggage to be brought up. I think some folks have a really wrong impression of how long the "wait" is. Bell Services does a good job. :thumbsup2

Well, for me it was two strikes and you're out.

I know my two waits were an hour.

The wait depends on a lot of factors. Peak time requires more planning.
When I have waited until the last minute to call for baggage pick up, I have had the long wait. It is first come, first serve. Call ahead of time and tell them when you will be ready. And you do have to be in the room - that's just the rules for the bell services protection from theft accusations.

The bell services at most resorts are not "official" cast members. The service is contracted out at many of the resorts to an outside company.

Most bell services let you borrow a cart, but it is considered a bit tacky. Can I go to your job and borrow the tools you use to make a living? If it's not busy, sure, but if it's busy...

Also remember that those carts cost over $1000 each. Hard to believe, but I have had to buy them.

I guess we might have to use bell services on this trip. It seems like it would be more convenient than trying to do it ourselves. So let me see if I have this correct.

When we arrive we can pull up to the front and bell services will come unload our bags. Then we will need to tip that person. I've heard $1-$2 a bag, is that right?
If our room is ready another person will follow us to our room. Or do we have to go to our room and call for the bags to be delivered? We'll tip the person who brings our bags.
If our room isn't ready, bell services will hold our bags. They will lock up any computers and store anything that needs to refriderated in a fridge. Once our room is ready we call and they will deliver our bags to our room. At which time we'll tip that person. We have to be present in the room for them bring our bags. Can we call ahead of time and ask the bags to be delivered at a certain time when we know we'll be in the room?

Thanks for all the help. It eases my mind if I know what to expect when we arrive.

I guess we might have to use bell services on this trip. It seems like it would be more convenient than trying to do it ourselves. So let me see if I have this correct.

When we arrive we can pull up to the front and bell services will come unload our bags. Then we will need to tip that person. I've heard $1-$2 a bag, is that right?
If our room is ready another person will follow us to our room. Or do we have to go to our room and call for the bags to be delivered? We'll tip the person who brings our bags.
If our room isn't ready, bell services will hold our bags. They will lock up any computers and store anything that needs to refriderated in a fridge. Once our room is ready we call and they will deliver our bags to our room. At which time we'll tip that person. We have to be present in the room for them bring our bags. Can we call ahead of time and ask the bags to be delivered at a certain time when we know we'll be in the room?

Thanks for all the help. It eases my mind if I know what to expect when we arrive.
Option 1: Pull-up to port cochere and let bellman take everything then go check-in. We always keep valuables in our trunk until our room is ready, then we hand-carry those later. We tip $1 a bag at this point. If room is ready, go back to bell service with claim ticket and they will either follow you to your room if their not busy or they will deliver. Delivery = another $1 per bag, but obviously this is up to you. This method is easiest and most tip intensive.

Option 2: Park car and go check-in. If room is ready go back to car and drive to port cochere and have bellman take bags up to your room and only tip in room. If room isn't ready, leave everything in the car and lock valuables in trunk. This method avoids the "storage" tipping.

Option 3: Drive up to port cochere, someone checks in while someone waits in car away from door. If room is ready, unpack car and leave one person to sit with everything. Driver parks car and meets person waiting with luggage. You'll need at least 2 people for this, 3 is better. One person sits with everything while others start schlepping everything by hand to the room themselves or you all hand-carry everything at once, if that's possible.

ETA: You cannot pre-arrange delivery of your luggage to your room. They don't have the ability to schedule deliveries so it's delivered only on an on-call basis, unless you're using DME.

Normally, we like to do things ourselves as well. But at Disney, it's just not really possible with the size of the resorts and rules. I agree just let bell services do it for you.

Another vote for Bell Services :thumbsup2. It's your vacation, Why hassle with luggage? :confused3

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter