Can you talk to me about The Butterfly Farm?

melsmom12

Look, Mommy, it's Cinderbrella!
In Grand Cayman, that is?

Did you go via Disney Excursion, or on your own? How far is it from the tender dock? Did you take kids? What's the cost?

Someone mentioned it on another post I started, and I'm very interested in hearing about it.

Thanks!

Hi There,

I have not experienced this personally but I have "Birmbaum Guide to Disney Cruise Line" in front of me so I will share with you what it says. There are 2 butterfly tours. One in Grand Caymen and one in St Maarten:

Grand Caymen Island Tour & Butterfly Tour:
(3.5 hours: Ages 3 and up)
After a short visit at the Governor's house on a scenic Seven Mile Beach, the 25 minute bus tour stops at the world's only green sea turtle farm. Next up: "Hell"---so named for its unusual rock formation. Then it's off for a more heavenly encounter with colorful, winged creatures in a tropical garden at Grand Caymen's Butterfly Farm. The journey is chased with a bit of rum cake and, if you're so inclined, a bit of shopping.

What Birmbaum Authors thought about this excursion:
The bus tour's brief but enjoyable, as were the turtles--but the Butterfly Farm is the star. And if run cake's your thing, you're in luck!

Adults: $51.00 (ages 10 and above)
Children: $37.00 (ages 3-9)
Departure Time: 8:00am; 12 noon

St. Maarten Island and Butterfly Tour:
(3.5 hours:All Ages)
Originating in Philipsburg, this narrated bus tour offers stunning scenery and, best of all, a visit to a butterfly farm on the island's French side. Once you've had a fill of fluttery creatures you can fritter away time in Marigot, where markets, cafes, and duty free shops are at your disposal.

What Birmbaum Authors heard about this excursion:
A mom and daughter who took this tour enjoyed it but agreed with others in observing that it was a bit too long-definitly not worth four hours of potential beach time.

Adults: $34.00 (ages 10 and above)
Children: $28.00 (ages 3-9)
Under age 3: free
Departure Time: 8:00am

I hope this helps!!!

I can't comment on the one in Grand Cayman, but at St. Maartin you can easily do this on your own. That has the great advantage of working on YOUR time schedule and not being there with the DCL crowd. We arrived just as the DCL group was leaving and had the place to ourselves--one other family--for as long as we wanted. The butterflies seemed more active when the crowd left, and being able to stay (or leave) whenever your kids wanted to was a big plus. Check on line and at the port (there are free tourist magazines) for discount admission coupons. If you want to do the shopping or hit a beach, your driver will take you there on your way back to the ship.

We just did the Disney tour of the butterfly farm on Grand Cayman, which included Hell and the turtles. For myself, I was totally enchanted by the place (although it's not fancy at all). Our guide was very knowledgeable about butterflies and moths and she really added to the experience (she's Canadian, BTW). She allowed those of us who were interested to hold the newly hatched butterflies. It was sooo neat. We didn't have kids with us, but there were quite a few (mostly 8-12 age range) and they really seemed to enjoy it. Just be aware that it can be hot and humid. (The buses are air-conditioned though, thank heavens.)

Hell is the kind of place that you see by walking around a rather rundown building. A couple of minutes of looking was sufficient for us. (It is a "wow, look at that" kind of experience, but, outside of buying "Hell" souvenirs, it's over very quickly.)

The turtles were also interesting, but they're in such crowded conditions, you have to feel sorry for them. But DH and I did take pictures of each other holding one (they are HEAVY for their size!).

For us, all in all it was worth it. We had a great tour guide, Anthony (the handsome one, as he told us). He really enlivened the tour (he kept encouraging us to have more samples at the rum cake factory).

You could probably do the butterfly farm by yourselves, but it is not within walking distance, so you'd have to find transportation. Sorry, I don't know the separate admission cost.

We just did the Disney tour of the butterfly farm on Grand Cayman, which included Hell and the turtles. For myself, I was totally enchanted by the place (although it's not fancy at all). Our guide was very knowledgeable about butterflies and moths and she really added to the experience (she's Canadian, BTW). She allowed those of us who were interested to hold the newly hatched butterflies. It was sooo neat. We didn't have kids with us, but there were quite a few (mostly 8-12 age range) and they really seemed to enjoy it. Just be aware that it can be hot and humid. (The buses are air-conditioned though, thank heavens.)

Hell is the kind of place that you see by walking around a rather rundown building. A couple of minutes of looking was sufficient for us. (It is a "wow, look at that" kind of experience, but, outside of buying "Hell" souvenirs, it's over very quickly.)

The turtles were also interesting, but they're in such crowded conditions, you have to feel sorry for them. But DH and I did take pictures of each other holding one (they are HEAVY for their size!).

For us, all in all it was worth it. We had a great tour guide, Anthony (the handsome one, as he told us). He really enlivened the tour (he kept encouraging us to have more samples at the rum cake factory).

You could probably do the butterfly farm by yourselves, but it is not within walking distance, so you'd have to find transportation. Sorry, I don't know the separate admission cost.

Our experience was the same. It was a nice tour overall and back early enough to walk around locally by the port later.

We are also interested in the Butterfly Farm, but the idea of taking my barely 3 year old on a bus tour didn't appeal to me. I emailed the Butterfly Farm a few weeks ago and got this response:

Greetings from Grand Cayman.

You have a couple of options when visiting us.
You can visit the Butterfly Farm independently or through an organised trip from the cruise ship. To find details of the tours offered you can look at the cruise lines website, or ask the shore excursion dept when you are on board. There are a number of different tour combinations that you can do.

If you choose to visit independently the Butterfly Farm is located on Lawrence Blvd, opposite the cinema. It is fairly close to the Cruise Ship Terminal where you will disembark.

To find us you can catch a local taxi which will cost approximately $12 US or alternatively you can flag down a local bus this will cost $2.50 US person.
It is a little far for walking from the Cruise Ship Terminal.

We are open 7 days a week, 8:30am until 4pm last tour at 3:30pm. We do not sell tickets on line, so you will need to purchase them when you arrive at the farm. There is no need to schedule an appointment and you will wait no more than 10 minutes for a tour.

We have a beautiful tropical garden filled with 34 different species of butterflies from all around the world. There are ponds with Japanese fish and lots of shady places to relax. It really is a treat for all ages.

The admission is $15 US for adults and $9 US for children. Children under the age of three and younger are our guests.
The admission includes a guided tour which lasts for about 30 minutes you can also stay in the garden as long as you like afterward taking pictures and enjoying the butterflies.

Should you have any other questions please do not hesitate to get in contact.
Don't forget your camera as it is one of the nicest things about being in the garden the photography is great. Also wear bright coloured clothes, it's a big hit with the butterflies!

Regards
Joanna Oakes
The Butterfly Farm Cayman Ltd.
P.O. Box 31713 SMB
Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands BWI
Tele:345-946-3411
Fax:345-945-9013

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter