Can you share a place you couldnt wait to eat but was a huge letdown

That's a shame. We had dinner there for the first time last month and thought it was excellent. I had one of the fish dishes (don't remember exactly what) and my wife had the chicken and waffles. Both were delicious. We did the bread service for an appetizer and have had that before at Nomad Lounge. Other than being a little skimpy on the spreads, we like that. We didn't have dessert as we were stuffed. I hope your next time is better.

We had a great time there on our recent visit, it's now back on the list for us for our next Animal Kingdom day!

Cali Grill in 2015. The service was appalling (20 minutes for water, waitress didn't care when we told her after 10, app came out with main course, etc.), the appetizer (flat bread) was not very good, and, although the main dish of the entrees were delicious, the sides were literally inedible. My husband loves brussel sprouts, and couldn't eat them. They were way over salted and just tasted horrible (and he will eat almost anything). I don't even remember the other side, but it wasn't tasty. We told the server about the side issue, especially the brussel sprouts, and she just shrugged, oh sorry. Didn't offer another side or anything. Very disappointed.
The next night we went to Whispering Canyon for dinner and the server we had was superb. My DH commented on it, and my DH mentioned it wasn't like that across the World. The server asked us to explain, so we did. He ended up comping some of our meal. I believe we got free adult beverages in the end. It was also our honeymoon, and the guy genuinely felt bad.
I filled out an after stay survey and made sure to mention the experience at CG, but also the one at WC. A guest service rep actually called me back and profusely apologized about CG. It was nice of them to care.

Satuli Canteen.

The place was a zoo. We mobile ordered so didn't have to wait in that insane line. Who in their right mind would get in a line that long for food???

Dining room was a filthy disgrace. Food and trash on the floor. Drink dispensers sticky and a mess. One dispenser was broken.

Not an empty table anywhere and no Cm directing traffic. We found one after circling for 10 minutes.

The food was wholly unremarkable. Cold beef with zero flavor over the most meh rice and beans. The bowl at Pecos Bill is infinitely better and you can customize your toppings.

Cross this dud off our list.

Tony's and BOG. I had read Tony's was better so we tried it this December for dinner but it was awful. Was seated 45 minutes past reservation, server got all of our orders wrong, food was terrible, meals took forever to come out.... I love Lady and the Tramp but I don't think I will ever go back there after that disaster of a meal.

We tried BOG for lunch same trip and I don't know what happened but our lunch took 35 minutes to come out. I had to ask several times what the hold up was because all around us everyone else was getting their food but us. We didn't have anything unusual, just soup, a cupcake, a glass of wine and a kid's meal. I swear they either lost our order or gave it to someone else because 35 minutes for quick service?!? I didn't think the french onion soup was very good either, def not worth the 35 minute wait for it.

Be our guest. Tried dinner and breakfast nothing to write home about. Dinner -Tiny table appetizers were served then less then 10 minutes later meals came but table for two in west wing was too small to fit everything so we gave up our appetizers. Steak was super under cooked and waitress was no where to be found. Gave another try for breakfast food was just ok and was so busy everything felt like a big rush.

Caseys -
People raved about it, so we tried it. Got 4 different meals and all 4 were pretty bad (to us).

We used to eat there every trip years ago. Since they have changed to bun, we will not be back. With a hot dog, you need the soft squishy white bun, IMO. Most people do not know this, but when you use a wheat flour, sugar needs to be added to make is softer. That changes the taste of the bread. Plus I do not like the feel of it. I know it is supposed to be healthier with the extra fiber, but you are also getting extra sugar when you eat wheat bread. The sugar is needed, otherwise the bread will be very course and not soft.

Reactions: TJA
Frontera Cocina: Granted this was 2 years ago and perhaps it's gotten better...To begin with they lost our reservation, but were able to seat us after about a 45 min. wait at the bar. Turns out this was the best part of the meal. The guacamole and margaritas were fantastic! Our entrees, and I can't remember what either of us got, were very ordinary. Certainly not as remarkable as I'd expect from such a big name chef. The dining room - to me - was almost cafeteria like, with the exception of the beautiful mural high on the wall. The worst was the table we were seated at. We were approx. 4 feet away from the chairs of people waiting for a table, with them staring directly at us. This might not bother some people, but I was quite uncomfortable. I wouldn't hesitate to go back to the bar for drinks and guacamole, but unless I hear of major improvements we won't be gong back for dinner any time soon.

Tiffins this December. It was our favorite meal in May - unusual and authentic food and wines. This trip was horrid - shrimp and grits, chicken and waffles - totally out of character for an African/Indo-Asian themed restaurant. While the meals were executed competently, they were no more special than Applebee’s or Bonefish Grill.
More and more we are finding the best meals to be at the non-Disney, or independent, restaurants in Disney Springs.

Ohana dinner. Our waitress was so uninterested in us. She never checked on us and did the most minimal amount. Other servers around us were great but not ours. I expect top notch service on a $150 meal.

Tiffins this December. It was our favorite meal in May - unusual and authentic food and wines. This trip was horrid - shrimp and grits, chicken and waffles - totally out of character for an African/Indo-Asian themed restaurant. While the meals were executed competently, they were no more special than Applebee’s or Bonefish Grill.
More and more we are finding the best meals to be at the non-Disney, or independent, restaurants in Disney Springs.

I blame the guests for that. People are so afraid to go out of their comfort zone and expect bland "Americanized" foods. It is almost comical how some people have over dramatic reactions to even the thought of other kinds of foods. Calling other foods "exotic" and acting as if all of it is a pile of bugs or something. Look at how many people, even on these boards, that complain about not having enough burger places at MK. Pecos Bill changed their burger to tex-mex and people freaked out that they just had to have burgers even though they have them at Cosmic Rays. All of the best food that we eat during our trips is non-American. Morocco has some of the best food, yet it is the least busy. Americans have some of the worst palates and the highest obesity rate. Yes, I am American but grew up with European parents and ate a variety of foods and was always encouraged to try new things.

I blame the guests for that. People are so afraid to go out of their comfort zone and expect bland "Americanized" foods.
So true. We used to have a dining group at our temple (well, they still have the group but we no longer participate). One time we went to an Indian restaurant. When the server comes over, a few of the women say, "We don't want anything spicy." Well then why the heck did you come out to an Indian restaurant. Indian food is spicy. If you didn't want spicy, you should have stayed home.

That said, I must admit that we went to Tiffins last month and my wife got the chicken and waffles. Neither of us really gave any thought to whether or not it fit the theme. It just sounded good, and she said it was delicious.

Certainly not as remarkable as I'd expect from such a big name chef.
The whole celebrity chef thing is such a farce. It's all marketing. I don't care whose name is on the sign. That person is not in the kitchen preparing your meal. Moriomoto, Guy Fieri, Wolfgang Puck, whoever. They were there for the grand opening and possibly haven't been back since. Maybe they came up with the recipe but it's likely not being made to the standards or with the quality of ingredients that they would use if they were doing it personally.

The whole celebrity chef thing is such a farce. It's all marketing. I don't care whose name is on the sign. That person is not in the kitchen preparing your meal. Moriomoto, Guy Fieri, Wolfgang Puck, whoever. They were there for the grand opening and possibly haven't been back since. Maybe they came up with the recipe but it's likely not being made to the standards or with the quality of ingredients that they would use if they were doing it personally.
I totally agree with what you said. I went to homecoming and everybody raved about it and I think it's the nastiest food I ever had on Disney property. I've had better counter-service food than that garbage. To me homecoming is the most overrated place at Disney. Waitress was totally not interested and it just really sucked. That's why I don't stress over going too many table services anymore. They are over priced.

Last edited:

That is not true of Morimoto. He is well known for checking in on all of his restaurants. He stayed much longer then the grand opening at Morimotos at Disney Springs. I went over a month after it opened and he was there watching everything going on in the kitchen. I am sure it is probably true for many of the chefs though.

Homecomin’. The deviled eggs were just plain awful, the fried chicken was dry, mashed potatoes were runny and tasted spoiled somehow and the service wasn’t great either. It was the restaurant I was most excited about on our last trip and then the one I ended up being the most disappointed in.

Homecomin’. The deviled eggs were just plain awful, the fried chicken was dry, mashed potatoes were runny and tasted spoiled somehow and the service wasn’t great either. It was the restaurant I was most excited about on our last trip and then the one I ended up being the most disappointed in.
Same thing happen to me as I said in a earlier post today. Chicken was like a rock. I have had better chicken at chick fil a. Homecomin=extremely overrated.

I haven't "hated" anything enough to never go back. DH however, will not go back to Yak and Yeti ( I am hoping to change this as it's one of my favorites) or Biergarten. Our experience there wasn't too positive. Our table mates were rude and we were practically ignored by the server. The traffic flow is set up all wrong for a buffet. It was just awkward.

Sci-fi Diner and Tusker House. The food at Sci-Fi was nothing special at all. My DS loved the cars but my DD was bothered by some of the movie clips and our waitress disappeared for the longest time. Three tables were all looking for her.

TH was awesome the first time we went. Fantastic. One of the things we loved about it was that the more adventurous eaters in our party had options and my meat and potatoes dad was able to eat as well. The two times we've been back they just don't seem to have as many unique options (even the soups and breads have been just typical options). Maybe I'm misremembering the options on our first trip in part because we had such a good experience but nothing since had lived up and it's off the rotation for the time being.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!