Can you return paint to the store??

PrincessMommy2

Mouseketeer
I want to know what you all think about this.....I bought paint at Sears for my bedroom. After I painted one wall and it dried, I decided I don't like the color. I mentioned to my sister that I have to buy more paint because I did not like the way the first color looked. She asked me if I was returning the gallon of the first color. I told her no, I did not think you could return mixed paint and besides I already used some of it. She asked me where I thought the "oops" paint in Home Depot, Lowes, etc. came from??? I never thought about it. I think I would be too embarassed to return an opened gallon of paint. What would you do??

Let just say certain Home Depot have very liberal paint returns

Sears does not

Once I accidentally chose the wrong color-too light(the code was under the color on the swatch & I cose the top code). So I brought it back and she added more pigment and got the color I wanted.

I can't imagine any store taking back an opened,partially used can of paint.

I can't imagine they would take it back, either. I thought oops paint was when the store mixed it incorrectly.

Good luck. I hope you find something you like. Maybe remixing it would be a good possibility.

Denae

I think the oops cans come from mistakes made when mixing the colors or when someone buys several gallons of a color and then returns the unopened cans. I don't think they'll take back one that's been partially used.

I had a color mixed at Home Depot. They mixed it perfectly to what the paint swatch depicted; however, when I put the color up in my room it just didn't look good. I guess my lighting was a lot different. It was a red and when it got up on the wall it looked more cranberry. I took the paint back to see if they could "do" anything to it. They added another pigment in to to make it warmer and more earthy and I was completely satisfied with it. They did not offer to take the paint back though. I, too, thought the "oops" paint was the store's mistake.

Home Depot WILL take back partially used cans and refund it ALL just because you didn't like the color once it was on the wall. Not only that, but they'll work with you to get the color right, even if it means making a custom color. They may not make money on some sales because of that policy, but they sure found a loyal paint customer in me.

Edited to clarify: In my case there was nothing they could do to the existing can to "fix" it. They started over from scratch and left the red pigment out of Behr's Monet Lily to make it more blue/less violet. They still gave me a full refund on the partially used Monet Lily.

I have no idea what Sears' policy is, but it's worth a try.

Oops paint is when the store makes a mistake.

If they mixed the paint correctly but you don't like the color I would assume you're stuck with it. I have a friend who always buys a quart first to make sure it's the right color.

I'd take it back to sears and have them darken it (if you want to go a darker shade). Don't think they'll take it back though. Next time, buy your paint at Home Depot. They take back paint and resell it as "oops" paint!

I work in returns at Home Depot, and they're very liberal on the paint return policy. You say it was the wrong color, back it comes. If the can is empty you may only get an exchange on a new can though. And oops paint is when either the store mixes it wrong or someone returns the paint. If a customer returns it, however, a little color is added to it to change it. This way, you cannot return the paint for $20 and buy it again for $5.

krissy3483,

I would have never even thought that someone return paint and try to buy it again on the opps table. What a great idea of Home Depot to add more color to it so one cannot do this!!

I have never returned paint, but I am all for buying it off the oops table. If the color works in a room I am painting that is!!

Just one more thing. When DH and I painted our bedroom a dark red color, it was taking forever. We used the red primer and then painted 3 coats of dark red. We were still seeing lines. I called Behr Paint Co. and talked to a really great guy. He said that generally red is the hardest color to work with. He felt that 3 coats plus a primer should have covered, but a forth ot fifth might be needed. He comped us 2 gallons of paint. Not nessecary, but very nice none the less. It did take 5 coats on one wall, but the other walls covered with the 4th caot. I will stick with Behr paints forever. A company that stands behind it's product like they do is a company I will stick with!

ckmommy- you would be amazed at what some people think of. Every day, I find myself shaking my head at the creativity and stupidity of some people. And oops paint is great, nothing like Ralph Lauren paint for $5 (or $1 for the small cans). And for the record, Home Depot actually owns Behr (as well as Hampton Bay and a few other brands). Well, that's oversimplifying it, I'm sure, but you get the idea. :D

When we did dd's room this spring, in the Disney Lizzie McGuire colors, we bought 2 gallons of dark purple and 1 gallon of dark pink. We were going to paint 3 walls purple and 1 pink. After doing 1 wall in each color, we decided that the purple on 3 walls would be too dark. I ended up returning the full unused gallon of purple (would not have even tried if it had been used) and much to my surprise, got a full refund, no questions asked. I did buy a second gallon of pink, but they did not know that at the return counter.

Erika

I would call your local Sears and ask what their policy is, that way you will know before you go to the store.

:) Thanks for everyone's answer....I never heard of returning paint, but my sister is the type who will return anything if she's not satisfied! I'll be keeping the paint, I just wouldn't feel right trying to return it even if Sears would take it back. Good idea about buying the quart first to see if I like the color. It's so hard to judge by those paint chips!!

I have never returned used paint, but I did take back a gallon of paint to Benjamin Moore because I wasn't happy with the color. They were able to get it to the shade I wanted, so I don't know if they would have accepted it as a return.

Sears pledge to its customers~"Satisfaction Guaranteed or Your Money Back". It doesn't hurt to ask.

BTW, the contractor that did our bathroom recommended that we use Benjamin Moore paint or Sears paint.

BTW if you're unsuccessful in returning the paint, donate to a local Habitat for Humanity type store.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter