• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

can you help with our Washington DC Planning

:confused:

I have never paid for a tour bus to see Arlington National Cemetery. We walk in, do the Women's Memorial thing, the tomb of the unknown, JFK grave, and the Arlington house, it is uphill, but not too bad. They have the tourmobile there, but unless you are physically incapable of walking up a hill, I don't see why you would have to take it... now, it would be quicker, so maybe worth it. Basically, you can just drive right in, park in the garage and enter the "Welcome Center" type area. You can purchase tickets for the tourmobile that runs just inside of the Cemetery and it will cart you around. Again, not needed, but would allow you to see more in less time.... unless there are a lot of people there that day... then you would just have to waste time standing in line for it. So, just make that judgment call when u get there.

Thanks a lot! So glad I asked. I think we can just walk it then. We'll go first thing when it opens and before it gets too hot. I'd rather not take a tour bus because we would probably spend a lot of tiem waiting around for that.

Thanks!:thumbsup2

If you see another lost family roaming Washington DC, it's probably going to be mine. We arrive the 3rd. I'm still trying to figure everything out.:scared1:

We arrive on the 3rd also. We'll be Adventures by Disney for most of the day, but the afternoons/evenings offer some free time. I have got to get busy trying to figure out a plan for those times! We'll be the small town people trying to figure out the big city. :sad2:;)

We are going to Washington DC for a long weekend 6/25-6/28. Has anyone used the DC Circulator for the National Mall area. You can buy a day pass for $3.00. Is it worth it or is it easier to walk?
Thanks!

Thanks for the tips. We arrive next Friday:woohoo: Still hoping for a white house tour my rep is in contact with me by email. :)

We will be flying in and renting a car lodging at National Harbor/Oxon Hills. So we can drive into DC on the weekend and use the Metro on week day????

That's my general rule of thumb :thumbsup2

UGH, I hate to tell you this, b/c the more people who know = less parking spots for me. :rolleyes1 BUT, just in case you didn't know... there is tons of parking near the mall, ie. directly in front of the Capitol building, on the small side street to the left of the Capitol (if you are facing it), directly in front of the Botanical gardens and the large lot that borders the tidal basin (where you rent out the paddle boats). They all have signs that say "Permit Parking Only"; Permit Parking spots are open to the public on weekends and holidays, it's just not advertised as such.... unless it says something like no parking at any time, or something like that...

Thanks Tiana, I will not tell anyone.:thumbsup2

If anyone is looking for a hotel then by all means AVOID the Doubletree near the White House. We had the worst customer service of any company ever. There are reviews on TripAdvisor of others having the same issues. We cancelled within our window and were charged for the rooms anyway 5 days later. The manager refuses to reverse the charges and my credit card dispute was denied. We are out $226 for nothing.

Doubletree Washington DC = NIGHTMARE.

We are going to Washington DC for a long weekend 6/25-6/28. Has anyone used the DC Circulator for the National Mall area. You can buy a day pass for $3.00. Is it worth it or is it easier to walk?
Thanks!

I have used the Circulator in Georgetown to Union Station, but not the Nat'l Mall route. I would say it would depend on how much you are walking. Because in the daytime you may be energized to walk from the Capitol all the way to the National Monument then to the WWII Memorial, but may be too tired to walk back ;) In which case, a one-way fare is $1.

I personally don't think it's a lot of walking but then again I walk around the Mall frequently--yesterday I walked to Independence & 12th from the Archives, which was about a 20-minute walk, but I took the leisurely route through the Sculpture Garden and that really pretty rose garden to get there.

We arrive on the 3rd also. We'll be Adventures by Disney for most of the day, but the afternoons/evenings offer some free time. I have got to get busy trying to figure out a plan for those times! We'll be the small town people trying to figure out the big city. :sad2:;)

The most important thing is... what food do you wanna eat?!

DC is known for chili half-smokes and Ethiopian food. We are not known for pizza--there are some good places but not as good as other cities. The current food trends are gourmet burgers, small plates, cupcakes, frozen yogurt, and food carts. If you have internet access you could track down the Fojol Brothers and get some tasty Indian grub from them.

When I was there, I stayed at the Marriott. It has an underground tunnel connecting you to the Metro which was very nice. There was always someone from the hotel standing in the tunnel which is well lit so it makes you feel safe. I was nervous about taking the Metro at first, but I can tell you that it is very nice and clean. Mostly business people going to and from work.

There are plenty of street vendors and shops where you can always stay hydrated although I stayed hydrated in a way you might not want to during July. :drinking1

Unless you are taking the cab everywhere, be prepared to walk so wear comfy shoes. The monuments are spread out.

If anyone is looking for a hotel then by all means AVOID the Doubletree near the White House. We had the worst customer service of any company ever. There are reviews on TripAdvisor of others having the same issues. We cancelled within our window and were charged for the rooms anyway 5 days later. The manager refuses to reverse the charges and my credit card dispute was denied. We are out $226 for nothing.

Doubletree Washington DC = NIGHTMARE.

I saw your post on another thread and immediately cancelled our ressies. They better not do that to us! We cancelled 2 weeks before our check-in date. I'm checking our credit card to be sure they don't charge it. I cannot believe your credit card company isn't willing to help. Would it help to report the hotel to the better business bureau?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter