Can you "drive stick"?

Yes learned on an old blue Falcon and then always had VW ‘s.and Jeep.
I find myself thinking they should manufacture cars that do not drive so fast!

Not when you're as frugal as my BIL, LOL. He special-ordered the most stripped-down Fury I model possible: manual 3, no power steering, no power brakes, no right-side rearview mirror, no retractors on the lap-only seatbelts, and no A/C (in coastal Louisiana! And it was black.) He bought it under protest, after having kids (and the Nader report!) forced him to give up his beloved '60 Corvair. By the time I got my time in it, it was 12 years old, and showing every minute of it.

It was a beast to drive. Power steering/brakes were an absolute game-changer after that.
My parents had some friends who ordered a new 1970 Oldsmobile Cutlass station wagon without power steering. I think Power Steering was standard, but they special ordered it without. Dealer thought they were nuts. The man had a condition where his hands shook, and he had issues with lifting a styrofoam cup, but no issues with a heavy coffee mug. Power steering didn't offer enough resistance. They did get a V-8 engine, automatic transmission and AM radio. That's it. No power tailgate window. That was interesting because I don't think Oldsmobile thought anyone would not order a power tailgate window. There wasn't any clearance between the Oldsmobile logo on the tailgate and the handle, so you could only turn the handle one turn, it would hit the emblem, you would lift the handle over the emblem, then turn another turn, then repeat until the window was down.

First car was a '63 VW Beetle bought with borrowed $$$ from my Grandmother. Got in the car, never drove stick, tried to back up and all it did was move forward. Salesman got in and ALSO had an issue UNTIL a mechanic told him DOWN and OVER --- DOH. My last *STICK* car was my 1968 GT350 SHELBY.

Yes, learned on a manual. Taught my wife how to drive a manual. Last one we had was in 1993. Tore up both knees and had to switch to automatics. My daughter was born in 94 and I regret not having one available to teach her. Oh well, besides sports cars there aren't many left. (New ones anyway).

I taught our DD in my 1955 Ford Customline with 3 on the TREE and 8 cylinders so she could use it for H.S. and transportation to Boca Grande to baby sit.

1653783994098.png
My last "stick"

Last edited:

Yep, still do. They’re harder to find now, but it was a requirement when I was looking for my most recent car

Yes. We don't have any now but I used to drive a 2001 Ford Escape 5 speed manual. We also had my grandfather's 1980 Datsun 210b wagon after he passed away for a few years.

I do occasionally drive my dad's 1975 Triumph TR6 as well, just for short joy rides.

Yes. Yes, learned three on the tree and the last three cars I have purchased were manual. Paid more for a manual on my latest car than the automatic cost. Required both of my daughters who are 20 learn how to drive it. Ever wonder why cheap, compact cars get the spot at valet right by the door? I found this out when staying at a hotel and none of the valet could drive it. They gave me the premier spot. I told my daughters if they are ever desperate for a job to apply as a valet.

Yes -- learned on one and drove a manual transmission through most of my 20s. Hadn't in a few years, but I was still able to when we rented a car in Scotland a few years ago -- just like riding a bike - skills were rusty but still there.

Yes. Old BF taught me.
I also had a three on the tree Pacer.
And, when it comes to hills I loved driving stick in San Francisco!
It became a dance between the brake & the clutch at every light/stop sign.
I can also pop the clutch 8-).

Sure. My experience "learning" was more or less taking test drives. Nobody taught me formally, like a driving instructor or even anything like hours behind the wheel with a licensed driver like I did before my driver's test. But those sales guys were more than willing to let me take them on the freeway, although once it was up to speed it was way easier than from a light or stop sign. I bought one for my first car and limped it home where I stalled a bunch of times, but was otherwise fairly safe. I'd roll my windows down and yell that I was pretty new to driving a stick and most people were fairly forgiving.

Yes. Grew up and learned to drive in the UK where everyone learns and takes their test on a manual car, because if you take your test with an automatic your license is restricted so that you are only ever allowed to drive an automatic. Which is why the majority of UK residents drive a manual car, because they tend to stick (no pun intended) with the type of car they learned on.

Same here in France and Germany for the driving license. However I can see much more automatic cars here in Germany than I ever saw in France. I believe we (French) tend to buy and drive more compact and manual shift cars than Germans who looooove their fast&huge&fancy&automatic cars.

I did learn how to and have driven manual cars, but I am guessing it has been around 30 years since I last did.

Yes My dad made me learn . Plus, we always had manual transmission cars. Had one up until my last car.
Good Gas mileage
Never any worries about having car stolen!
Could drive shift on the column or floor Miss it most days when driving.
Never had to replace a transmission.

Our whole family drives stick (both kids have/are learning). Its a fun skill to have and we enjoy not having to upgrade rental cars when driving in other countries. Shifting with the other hand isn't what mixes me up in cars where you drive from the right, its the windshield wipers vs. turn signals🤣

Yes. My first car out of college was a manual. Hadn’t driven one since I sold that until we bought our younger son one last year (his choice). Once he goes away to college next year, I’ll drive his car from time to time. Fun car - a “hot hatch”, as they call it (Mazda Speed3).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter