Can we talk about TIPFLATION for a minute?

Even professional settings are starting - I am NOT going to tip my vet. Grooming is one thing. Paying out the wazoo for medical services is another.
I am a DVM, and I understand the complaints about increases in fees. There are two reasons for this: 1) medication and medical supply costs have skyrocketed.

2) Also because for years, vets have been expected to work as much or more hours than a human medical doctor, for about 1/3 the salary. That's changing recently due to the corporate takeover of veterinary medicine , and also the newer generation just doesn't want to work so hard for so little. As one of the older generation of vets, the newer idea of better work/life balance in our industry is long overdue.

Having said that, I have gotten 2 tips in my 19 year career, and only accepted one of them because she wouldn't let me give it back. We would never ask for tips for professional services.

I was at Crumbl Cookie last week and when the tip screen came up the 3 options were
25% - 30% - 35%

They did have a custom tip option, that wasn't exactly easy to find, and I left 10%
Yes. I am fine/eager to pay 18-20% for good service. But the other day at a fast-casual restaurant, they were using iPads to pay, and the only options to tip were 22%, 24%, 26% and 28%. It's getting out of hand.

My tip story is when we went last summer to buy my daughters wedding dress. We were there for an hour max. My daughter only tried on 4 dresses she just knew she found the one the instant she tried it on. The helper was lovely mind you. This is our first daughter to get married and I did not know the protocol. Imagine my surprise when I paid the deposit and was handed one of the hand held machine, and it asked for a 10 15 or 20 % tip of the total. As my daughters future mother in law was with us I didn't want to say anything I panicked and hit 10%. I wouldn't have minded to put in a $50 or even $100 for her time but 10% of wedding dress was a chunk as you can imagine. Especially since I am sure she made a commission also. Lesson learned for next daughter (whenever that is in the future)

Yes. I am fine/eager to pay 18-20% for good service. But the other day at a fast-casual restaurant, they were using iPads to pay, and the only options to tip were 22%, 24%, 26% and 28%. It's getting out of hand.
There has to have been an "other" or "custom" button. I would have asked.

I am a DVM, and I understand the complaints about increases in fees. There are two reasons for this: 1) medication and medical supply costs have skyrocketed.

2) Also because for years, vets have been expected to work as much or more hours than a human medical doctor, for about 1/3 the salary. That's changing recently due to the corporate takeover of veterinary medicine , and also the newer generation just doesn't want to work so hard for so little. As one of the older generation of vets, the newer idea of better work/life balance in our industry is long overdue.
You're in the business of saving animals, of providing routine care and for caring for someone's pet in a crisis or in the unfortunate way when they are having to say goodbye to them.

A tip at a vet's office is very unethical same as it would be for other medical offices, doesn't matter how any one person tries to spin it.

And to top it off, a lot of them calculate it incorrectly. Tips are supposed to be based on the price of the food/beverage/product before taxes and fees. If you look at the "courtesy" calculations, they are more times than not based on the total after the tax and fees. Big No No.
I’ve definitely noticed places basing “suggested” tip amounts based on a total including tax…..The other night I went to pick up a carry out order at a local Italian Restaurant and got a shock when I went to slide my credit card and I saw a charge for using a credit card as well as a ”liquor” charge and I didn’t have any liquor or drinks of any kind! I asked for these charges to be removed and I would pay cash minus the liquor tax. The informed me they couldn’t remove the liquor tax so I told them I wasn’t paying for something I didn’t purchase and I left the bag of food sitting on their counter. I’ve noticed in many places the person behind the counter doesn’t have anything to do with your order other than handing it to you but still expects a tip. your order appears on a counter behind them already prepared and packed. i recently asked if the tips in jar went to workers who prepared the food and was told no.

And to top it off, a lot of them calculate it incorrectly. Tips are supposed to be based on the price of the food/beverage/product before taxes and fees. If you look at the "courtesy" calculations, they are more times than not based on the total after the tax and fees. Big No No.
I agree with this. When I see that, I give a lower tip (I usually tip 20%, but will select the 15% amount).

I’ve definitely noticed places basing “suggested” tip amounts based on a total including tax…..The other night I went to pick up a carry out order at a local Italian Restaurant and got a shock when I went to slide my credit card and I saw a charge for using a credit card as well as a ”liquor” charge and I didn’t have any liquor or drinks of any kind! I asked for these charges to be removed and I would pay cash minus the liquor tax. The informed me they couldn’t remove the liquor tax so I told them I wasn’t paying for something I didn’t purchase and I left the bag of food sitting on their counter. I’ve noticed in many places the person behind the counter doesn’t have anything to do with your order other than handing it to you but still expects a tip. your order appears on a counter behind them already prepared and packed. i recently asked if the tips in jar went to workers who prepared the food and was told no.
Many places here charge a credit card fee. As for cashiers, why o wood think they expect tips?

Fast food places don’t usually make the mobile orders until you check in, so the food is exactly the same as what you’d get if you ordered it in person.
That is way different than here. They usually have an area where they have the bags of the food waiting for mobile order customers to pick up.

For decades it's been a custom to tip people that handle or help you with your bags. Please keep doing so.

It's all the other tipping that's gotten out of control. I went to a self-serve yogurt store and I got the tip prompt.

I will tip at restaurants where I'm served, food delivery drivers, bellhops, taxis, uber, and Lyft drivers. For everything else, I have no trouble or guilt in selecting the no-tip button.
Oh I agree. It’s just that they are young so I wanted them to have the cash ready and to be aware that it’s appropriate to tip them.

That is way different than here. They usually have an area where they have the bags of the food waiting for mobile order customers to pick up.
Depends on the restaurant. McDonald's doesn't start making your order until you're there and check in. I think Dunkin is the same. Moe's you can select a pickup time hours in advance.

Depends on the restaurant. McDonald's doesn't start making your order until you're there and check in. I think Dunkin is the same. Moe's you can select a pickup time hours in advance.
Well, this is the only McDonalds I have been in for quite some time and they had the bags lined up with the online orders.

I really wish we'd migrate to a tipless system or with tips automatically built into price... like how Disney added 18% for TIW discounts... or where I am in Chicago, the Alinea restaurant group adds in 20% for the dinner tickets (they sell tickets like a theater vs reservations for prix fixe meals). The whole sub-minimum wage needs to go away, restaurant owners should be paying living wages and the prices should reflect that... Isn't this how they do it in a lot of the world?

Well, this is the only McDonalds I have been in for quite some time and they had the bags lined up with the online orders.
I think those are for the meal delivery services (UberEats, DoorDash, etc). All of the McDonalds we've gone to w/mobile ordering don't start making your order until you say "I've arrived" via the app.

I think those are for the meal delivery services (UberEats, DoorDash, etc). All of the McDonalds we've gone to w/mobile ordering don't start making your order until you say "I've arrived" via the app.
Okay, I consider those online orders too.

McDonalds and Chick-Fil-A are the main ones I mobile order from and they don't start your food until you get there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter