CAN WE HELP EACH OTHER WITH WAITLISTS?

Wendybird55

DIS Veteran
Hi,
Not sure if anyone ever discussed or tried this before or if it's a feasible idea, but I figure it don't hurt to ask so..
I'm coming home this DEC. I have SSR booked as that's what was available when I booked and am wait listing BWV because that's our favorite.

So I'm thinking could it be possible that someone has BWV booked that same week but is wait listing SSR? (this is just an example as I know there is still availability at SSR that week) and of course neither of us are giving up our rooms as we plan to go that week ..we're just hoping someone else might cancel so we get our waitlist.

So what if we knew that we each had the room the other wanted..could we release and book so we get each other's bookings? Is there a way we can post on these boards what we have booked for when and what we are wait listing so we can help each other get the bookings we want?

Does this make sense? Is it too difficult to try and set up? Is it already set up and I just didn'the see it? Again, just thinking as I hope all 1 bedroom garden or boardwalk view at BWV bechoes available Dec 1 -8.
Thanks for your thoughts...

Hi,
Not sure if anyone ever discussed or tried this before or if it's a feasible idea, but I figure it don't hurt to ask so..
I'm coming home this DEC. I have SSR booked as that's what was available when I booked and am wait listing BWV because that's our favorite.

So I'm thinking could it be possible that someone has BWV booked that same week but is wait listing SSR? (this is just an example as I know there is still availability at SSR that week) and of course neither of us are giving up our rooms as we plan to go that week ..we're just hoping someone else might cancel so we get our waitlist.

So what if we knew that we each had the room the other wanted..could we release and book so we get each other's bookings? Is there a way we can post on these boards what we have booked for when and what we are wait listing so we can help each other get the bookings we want?

Does this make sense? Is it too difficult to try and set up? Is it already set up and I just didn'the see it? Again, just thinking as I hope all 1 bedroom garden or boardwalk view at BWV bechoes available Dec 1 -8.
We've discussed this many times in terms of trading home resort reservations. IMO it's too specialized and too complicated to do so other than possibly between friends/family and the like.

The OP is not asking about actually trading reservations, but a coordinated cancel & rebook between 2 members. Honestly, I don't believe it would work as the wait list process might grab those rooms as soon as they are cancelled. DVC has (reportedly) updated their system to match every cancellation to the wait list before making that room available.

I am going to be honest... your problem is that most people that want SSR don't have a problem just booking it.

So the real audience for this would people trying to coordinate between two "hot" resorts. (BWV and VGF for example)

And as has been said, it easily might not work. Even if the rooms go to the inventory and not waitlist there's no way to stop a third person from just being online at exactly the right moment and grabbing the BWV room leaving someone with no reservation because they cancelled. I wouldn't risk it!

I think it is a good idea. If the 2 agreeing/trading parties could call Member Services together and make the switch then there would be a benefit for both. You might be an owner at a one of the more desired resorts but after going to the same place 4-5 times in a row, having the ability to trade with another owner would be a good thing to try a new resort.

I doubt MS would do it, though, as to use the proper amount of points for each booking they would have to cancel and rebook, and if there are waitlists, in theory they should be picked up and not able to be held by MS. If you were willing to eat the points on a switch from somewhere expensive to somewhere cheap, sure, you could just swap the names. But this really is a cancel-rebook, and it would be attempting to circumvent the waitlist queue.

I think it is a good idea. If the 2 agreeing/trading parties could call Member Services together and make the switch then there would be a benefit for both. You might be an owner at a one of the more desired resorts but after going to the same place 4-5 times in a row, having the ability to trade with another owner would be a good thing to try a new resort.
I imagine that there might be some people who would be willing to try that but asking MS to help isn't something I would expect to happen. You're basically asking them to enable two owners to bypass the waitlist system. I'd be very upset if members who don't own at my home resort were able to circumvent the waitlist system. There are people who own at BWV who had to waitlist for that week and their names should be ahead of the OP. JMHO.

Nope - any of the days could get lost once either of the reservations were cancelled if other people have waitlists set up for those days.

Way too risky. As others have mentioned, the waitlist could grab the released rooms, and MS would mostly likely not be willing to help. Nothing wrong with asking, though; MS has done lots of unexpected things for folks here. Another word of advice (based on experience): make sure MS doesn't do anything that might lose your reservations, and make sure everything is correct after they help you.

The OP is not asking about actually trading reservations, but a coordinated cancel & rebook between 2 members. Honestly, I don't believe it would work as the wait list process might grab those rooms as soon as they are cancelled. DVC has (reportedly) updated their system to match every cancellation to the wait list before making that room available.
But it's essentially the same thing. Plus it's likely to not work and to lose both reservations along the way. IF you find someone to team up with may as well just trade rather than this mess. In addition DVC appears to have gotten better at the wait list and every improvement there reduces the changes of this actually working that much less.

Hi,

As others have posted, the coordinated cancel & rebook is very risky. Chances are that at least one of you would lose the reservation. On top of that, it would be difficult to find someone else who has what you want and wants what you have.

If you do find someone, the best way to "trade" reservations would be for you each to change the names on the existing reservation to the other parties names. Yes, that means you don't have total control and there will need to be trust, but you both would be DVC members and able to see the reservation on MDE. You can then negotiate if one of you needs to compensate the other for a difference in points required or "relative value" of the points for the resorts involved.

The only way I think it could potentially work, but as mentioned, think it would be too risky, is to do a 3 way call with MS. Yesterday, I had to cancel my Memorial Day trip...so sad...which left me with holding points. My DD21 and I are going in July and a room at the Poly was still available. We had booked LV but SV was the only one for all nights, so the CM booked that with my holding points. The other Poly reservation was on my 2nd membership. As she went to cancel that, all of sudden, it dawned on me that maybe when she did, it would show up and she could re-book with holding points. Sure enough, it did and she was able to do that. Now, I don't know if there were any waitlists for that night and it's possible there were none and that is why it showed up. Not sure I would ever try this at a busy time because I had the SV room booked, and there were plenty of those so even had it not showed back up, I had something I wanted. But, in this case, a released room showed up right away and I was able to get it back with my holding points.

The only way I think it could potentially work, but as mentioned, think it would be too risky, is to do a 3 way call with MS. Yesterday, I had to cancel my Memorial Day trip...so sad...which left me with holding points. My DD21 and I are going in July and a room at the Poly was still available. We had booked LV but SV was the only one for all nights, so the CM booked that with my holding points. The other Poly reservation was on my 2nd membership. As she went to cancel that, all of sudden, it dawned on me that maybe when she did, it would show up and she could re-book with holding points. Sure enough, it did and she was able to do that. Now, I don't know if there were any waitlists for that night and it's possible there were none and that is why it showed up. Not sure I would ever try this at a busy time because I had the SV room booked, and there were plenty of those so even had it not showed back up, I had something I wanted. But, in this case, a released room showed up right away and I was able to get it back with my holding points.

With all the recent PVB inventory that showed up it's very likely there were no waitlists is what I'd think happened.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter