Can someone please explain the appeal of sting rays??

A ray stabbed Steve Irwin, The crocodile hunter, mutliple times, including in the heart. Your fears are justified.

Edited because after checking I realized I remembered it incorrectly.

From a science perspective, I think they are fascinating. However, I also find feeding and petting them a tad bit creepy.

I figure swimming with them is, for some people, like skydiving. It's a pretty safe way to take risks and get that adrenaline rush.

I can't stand snakes, but some people love having them as pets. Now that's an animal I wouldn't want to feed!

They creep you out. So you are not missing anything. I agree with others, that for me it was a chance to interact with a creature I may never have the opportunity to interact with again.

To each their own. Perhaps, there are things that you like that might creep others out. Makes for an interesting world.

P. S. I enjoy your posts

I think stingrays are beautiful, elegant creatures; the way they glide through the water.

On the other hand, some people think spiders are beautiful. They freak ME out.

Maybe some people view them as 'birds of the sea' and that's their appeal. They are very dangerous and not to be messed with. As someone pointed out, it was one that killed Steve Irwin, and he was used to being around them. From what I understand the ones at Castaway Cay have been debarbed so that danger is at least removed.

I'm not creeped out by them, but I have no desire to pay money to feed or pet them. I wouldn't freak out if one passed me while in the ocean. Not a fan of dolphins either, other than watching them jump while we're pulling out of port. Plus I heard that they smell bad. My thing is sea turtles! Love them even though they could bite. To each their own!

Maybe some people view them as 'birds of the sea' and that's their appeal. They are very dangerous and not to be messed with. As someone pointed out, it was one that killed Steve Irwin, and he was used to being around them. From what I understand the ones at Castaway Cay have been debarbed so that danger is at least removed.

I'm sorry, but this isn't true. The kind of ray that killed Irwin was about 10x the size of the ones you'll find at Sting Ray City. Apparently there have only been a handful of fatal attacks similar to his ever recorded. It is well known that his was a freak occurrence (apparently he was swimming above this massive creature). Also, the barbs on the tails of the one that killed Irwin are completely different. I don't think boatloads of tourists every day would be returning to Sting Ray City if people were getting stabbed/killed by the rays. Apparently the only injuries common are when people accidentally step on them. That i can see happening, since you just stand there in calf deep.water, and they swim up to you .

The stingrays at CC have been de-stingered (if that is a word), so no danger there. We did it with our three granddaughters. Oldest eats almost everything at dinner and loves sushi. She would not come within a mile of the rays. Middle Gdaughter is a super picky eater (mac/cheese then grilled cheese sandwich, repeat). She loves turtles, frogs, lizards, insects and will hold any of the above. She raced into the water to pet/feed the rays. Youngest is somewhere in between with food, but was not so keen about getting close to the rays...certainly not willing to do the "stingray shuffle." Everyone to their own taste and you are on vacation...enjoy what gives you pleasure while the meter is running. If your friends or family are pushing you a bit to meet a ray, get the drink of the day or two before said encounter. At CCay there are a slew of other exclusions you can do.

I've been in the water with rays many times. Stingrays are one of my most favorite animals. One time we went to stingray city on a trip where my older daughter and husband did a scuba dive with them while I stayed on the boat with our 5 year old. The person tending the boat had us get in the water and feed them, they were so soft, magnificent and playful that she giggled with joy throughout the experience. Another time I was so enamored with the rays that I did not even notice a very large moray eel swim between my legs. The youngest now dives and still loves her stingrays. Love to watch them in the open ocean as the lay on the sandy ocean to bury themselves. I'd live in the water with them I could.

I signed up for the excursion for my children but I will have to put my big girl pants on that day because I find it a little bit creepy. Add this to the list of creepy things I have done for my boys including having a bug-themed party at a museum where the kids got to touch various bugs and a tarantula, and taking the kids fishing where I had to put worms on fishing hooks. Gross!

Just be aware that the ones located at Serenity Bay on Castaway Cay are not debarbed like the ones on the family beach side. I have encountered and photographed/ filmed stingrays numerous times at Serenity Bay. If you approach close enough you can actually see the barbs. I have found them already buried in the sand and also followed them swimming and watched them bury down in the sand. Many times between the beach area and the sandbar. So if wading there do the foot shuffle not steps.

DH and DD really want to do this excursion. Can I pay but just stay on the boat and watch? They creep me out big time, there is no way I am getting in the water with them.

DH and DD really want to do this excursion. Can I pay but just stay on the boat and watch? They creep me out big time, there is no way I am getting in the water with them.
Send me $220 and I'll send you some GoPro video.....j/k

Where are you cruising? Grand Caymen has StingRay City and you can get there pretty easy/cheap and do alot of observing there rather than paing for an interactive excursion and not interacting.

Visited an interactive aquarium for my Daughters 10th Birthday. At first she was scared to feed the Stingrays. After a while she warmed up to them and I had to beg her to move on to the next exhibit.

We all loved feeding and petting them and I'm definitely booking the excursion on CC. I'm going to TRY posting a photo and short video of the feeding.

IMG_4511.JPG
IMG_4511_zpspcyl8jwp.jpg

I think ur either Into it or not.

We LOVED being in the water with them.. getting to touch and Interact.
Having said that... we didn't know till later that the boats came out several hours earlier to chum up the waters.. to feed the sharks. Who then Leave the area... and then we crazy humans get in the water to interact with Rays.

So don't think I'd do again... but def enjoyed the Caribbean Experience!

They creep me out and I cannot imagine paying money to have them all around me - but everyone seems gaga over them.

What am I missing?

I'll explain the appeal of stingrays if you explain the appeal of getting gussied up for dinner on your cruise and eating with strangers. ;)

I get that they are "in their natural habitat" but they are CREEPY!!! I don't mind LOOKING at them - but the idea of those things all around me... No!!!

I love animals, but I'm not seeking out snakes or alligators and such to play with them either. EW!!!!

Oh well... Anyone on a cruise with me can rest assured I will NOT be fighting anyone for a spot with those things.

I like to see stingrays while snorkeling, heck I even feed them at the Tampa Bay Rays game where they have a tank, but to pay specifically to get in the water and swim with them? I just don't see the draw. BTW, I feel the same way about dolphins. They are very cool to see in the wild, I just don't want to pay to swim with them in an artificial setting.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter