Can someone please explain the appeal of sting rays??

Dug720

See the line where the sky meets the sea?
They creep me out and I cannot imagine paying money to have them all around me - but everyone seems gaga over them.

What am I missing?

They creep me out and I cannot imagine paying money to have them all around me - but everyone seems gaga over them.

What am I missing?

They're living sea creatures that are extremely interactive and accessible in their natural habitat in an otherwise inaccessible world most of us live in. We've sailed to Sting Ray City twice with no crowds and were able to feed and swim with them, truly a once in a lifetime experience. If you have a love for animals, maybe you could think of it as going to a farm or petting zoo when you normally aren't able to access animals in your everyday life. They're more friendly and interactive than turtles for example. Most of us probably wish they were dolphins or manatees but that kind of encounter isn't going to happen in the wild (where we travel at least). Just my view point. It's educational and fun and from what I understand from our tour operator, it's done responsibly at Grand Cayman at least.

I get that they are "in their natural habitat" but they are CREEPY!!! I don't mind LOOKING at them - but the idea of those things all around me... No!!!

I love animals, but I'm not seeking out snakes or alligators and such to play with them either. EW!!!!

Oh well... Anyone on a cruise with me can rest assured I will NOT be fighting anyone for a spot with those things.

I get that they are "in their natural habitat" but they are CREEPY!!! I don't mind LOOKING at them - but the idea of those things all around me... No!!!

I love animals, but I'm not seeking out snakes or alligators and such to play with them either. EW!!!!

Oh well... Anyone on a cruise with me can rest assured I will NOT be fighting anyone for a spot with those things.

I don't think they're creepy at all, we find them fascinating. They don't bite nor would they try to eat you (like your gator or snake example). Some people might think turtles are ugly, I guess it's in the eye of the beholder. They are rubbery and slippery but I think dolphins are too. I grew up with a true love of the ocean and its inhabitants; when I heard about sting ray city and being able to swim with them, there was no way I was going to pass up the opportunity, esp since we don't agree with the dolphin encounters we've seen offered. One of our daughters shares your opinion, btw, and chose to relax back on the boat instead! Luckily for her, our excursion also included awesome snorkeling!

I don't think they're creepy at all, we find them fascinating. They don't bite nor would they try to eat you (like your gator or snake example). Some people might think turtles are ugly, I guess it's in the eye of the beholder. They are rubbery and slippery but I think dolphins are too. I grew up with a true love of the ocean and its inhabitants; when I heard about sting ray city and being able to swim with them, there was no way I was going to pass up the opportunity, esp since we don't agree with the dolphin encounters we've seen offered. One of our daughters shares your opinion, btw, and chose to relax back on the boat instead! Luckily for her, our excursion also included awesome snorkeling!

I DO love the ocean and its inhabitants. Stayed up until 3am once to watch a nest of loggerhead turtles boil. :) I just don't get the appeal of getting in the water with flappy things with whips coming out of their butts swimming all around you. LOL.

As a friend said ones "That's why god made chocolate and vanilla. We can all like different things."

We've gone to the Ray touch tanks at a couple of aquariums, DD12 LOVES it and could spend all day there. DD17 just observes us and had no desire to stick her hand in the water. I did it to try it out...and got freaked out by one ray in the Vancouver Aquarium...because my hand didn't reach it, it turned around to come back to me. I was not expecting that. If we ever make it to Castaway Cay my younger daughter would LOVE the ray excursion...and I guess 1 parent will go with her...think it'll have to be her Dad though as I think I'd shriek if they touched me while we're in the water together.

What am I missing?

I am with you, I don't get it!!

My daughter signed us up to swim with manatees before our cruise, don't get that either!
I would be happy to just look from afar!

They are one of the few large sea creatures that you can pretty safely and reliably interact with. While in Tahiti, we went out near the reef and fed them. You stand in waist/chest deep water, hold raw fish in your hand palm up, and the ray will glide over it and suck it up. They don't have teeth, so can't really hurt you. We were told not to grab or startle them, so as not to make then thrash their tail. Occasionally they'd get enthusiastic and glide up onto your chest. It reminded me of overexcited petting zoo goats who'd try to start eating your clothes.

If you have issues with rays, you would NOT like this activity, LOL. My dh did have a large issue with the small black tip sharks at the same location.

What am I missing?

Same for me + they can sting... I fear them.

Also, most animals in their natural habitat aren't friendly with humans and that's how it's supposed to be.

No it wouldn't be my thing. Either would swimming with Dolphins. I don't like to see Dolphins kept in captivity for profit. To each their own.

I DO love the ocean and its inhabitants. Stayed up until 3am once to watch a nest of loggerhead turtles boil. :) I just don't get the appeal of getting in the water with flappy things with whips coming out of their butts swimming all around you. LOL.

Had an ex feel the same about dogs. Different strokes for different folks

Why do people like mushrooms? I think they're disgusting

I was a little creeped out by them, yet fascinated at the same time. The idea of interacting with sea life in their natural habitat really is cool. I was surprised to see how friendly they are. They rub against your legs like a cat, and I like that they aren't in captivity. I totally respect that it's not your thing, I wasn't sure it was my thing, and was not sure I wanted them to touch me, but found it to be a cool experience:) I'm like that with snorkeling too, I love to SEE and swim near the fish, but I don't want them to touch me.

I love stingrays. But I find their capacity for learning and interaction fascinating. I wouldn't try to convince you to like it because I completely understand that once something creeps you out it's game over.

I love stingrays. But I find their capacity for learning and interaction fascinating. I wouldn't try to convince you to like it because I completely understand that once something creeps you out it's game over.

Thank you!

Yeah...I was genuinely curious. :)

I have a photo of my 6 year old petting a baby ray once. I came up to him, he ran his hand over the soft top and the ray wrapped his wing around my son's arm, just for a second. It was like a little hand hug. I know I'm anthropomorphizing, but it was so cute and such a nice moment for a kid.

They don't harm intentionally (avoid the stingers in the wild, but I think they are filed off in captivity) and if you look at their underside, they look like they're smiling. They get huge as adults, as well.

My list of "creepy" animals pretty much begins with cockroaches and ends with earwigs. Anything else is fascinating and lovely. But hey, my DH is creeped out by the stingrays in GC, too. He literally ran back onto the boat. As someone else here said, different strokes.

We went to stingray city once and loved it. For me it was great to watch something so large glide effortlessly along the ocean floor and watch them flap like a flag in the gentle breeze as they glided along. Then to have them come to you (because of the food really) unafraid and willing to let you so close. They are such a different creature than we ordinarily encounter and it really made me appreciate even more the diversity of our planet.

I really don't understand people being creeped out by stingrays much the way you don't understand how others might enjoy them. It's like monsters under the bed. There is nothing to be afraid of but what is in your own imagination.

I was wading at Castaway Cay and saw one floating by in the shallow water. That's what they love most. The shallow water, which makes them more accessible. Something so different without having to get dive gear.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter