Can I split direct points and still be considered “direct member”?

Mia Kylie and Co

Earning My Ears
Apologies if this has been asked before. But if I purchase the minimum points (75) direct from Disney but would like to split those direct points into 3 separate smaller contracts. Would we still be considered DVC direct members to receive any offered benefits? We would like to eventually pass the small contracts down to one of each of our daughters. Thanks!

Yes, but each of those separate 25 point contracts would not be good for member benefits once they moved on to new owners and were no longer linked together as 75 total.

I don't think they will let you break it down that small initially. I think you r "master" has to meet minimum point requirements as a new member. If you're an existing member, yes. You can add on 3 25s and get direct benefits.

Exactly. The key words DVD uses in the incidental benefits document are accumulate and maintain.

Agree 100%. This is the common sense reading, but Member Administration told me it had to be one contract right after the change was made. You should confirm with Member Administration to see whether this has been officially clarified.

I don't think they will let you break it down that small initially. I think you r "master" has to meet minimum point requirements as a new member. If you're an existing member, yes. You can add on 3 25s and get direct benefits.
Thanks for the info! We actually are currently “direct” owners with 50 points direct and additional points through resale. However, we were thinking we may want to purchase an additional 75 direct and then sale our 50 points. So, this definitely adds to my scenario. I’ll contact DVC to get confirmation, as I wouldn’t keep our original direct points after we close on the 75. Hopefully this makes some sense.

I wouldn't bother structuring contracts around how you might want to leave them to your children. They may not want DVC, they may be unable to pay the dues, they may not like Disney as adults. Heck, you might decide to sell before that point even comes if your financial situation changes.

I wouldn't bother structuring contracts around how you might want to leave them to your children. They may not want DVC, they may be unable to pay the dues, they may not like Disney as adults. Heck, you might decide to sell before that point even comes if your financial situation changes.

Great advice. Also, I think you pay closing costs for each 25 point contract versus one. Not a huge deal, but if it’s similar to BLT that’s around $200-$400 more.

One thing to think about is that leaving 25 point contracts is somewhat worthless. I bought a separate 25 point contract at BCV and as of 2020, I can only book 3 or 4 days every three years.

And I’ll end up with stranded points as well.

It sounds nice to split them up, but the headache might not be worth the hassle.

Historically they have been willing to, I'm not sure after the change to 75 points minimum for services. Even if they did, I believe they'll require 3 closings. I don't see any real reason to do this at this point.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!