Can I sit here? A throwback 2019 Trip Report

Tatum20

Mouseketeer
Hello all, I am very new to these parts. I have spent the last few months reading everyone else's trip reports. We are in the early planning stages of a 2022 Spring break trip (my parents are coming and they want to wait until things settle down with Covid19, so if this is all very tentative), so I wrote down everything I could remember from our 2019 trip.

The When: January 31st- February 4th
the Where: Boardwalk Inn
the Who: Me (a financial analyst, extreme planner/researcher, loves vacations), Husband (hates traveling, hates crowds, yet does this with us year after year because I think he likes it a little more than he says he does), our two kids DD7(at the time) and DD3, and my nephew, age 11

I won't have a ton of pictures because husband doesn't like having his picture on anything, so I'll post ones that don't specifically identify anyone (I'll give everyone that wound up in my pictures the same measure of privacy, excluding DW entertainment).

Last edited:
(This is just the background of planning the trip, no actual travel included in this post, so feel to skip unless you really enjoy knowing the background of every decision made).

How the trip came to be...
My coworker had gone to Disney for a week during spring break 2018, and she is a planner like me so I was able to use a lot of the information she provided through her research. I had originally wanted to do all four Disney parks and Islands of Adventure as well as Universal Studios, but as I got closer it seemed like we were going to have to pick one area and stick with it, so I chose Disney. We did a long weekend as Husband was not willing to go during Spring Break (too crowded and too close to his busy time at work); I was not willing to go during Christmas break (too busy and I live in a very cold climate and the last thing I want is to return home in early Jan and staring down 2 months of subzero temperatures) and we cannot travel in the summer due to Husband's work schedule. So our choices are generally MLKJr. Day weekend or President's Day weekend, and add on a day or two as to limit the amount of school my daughter misses. My general max is two days of missed school. However, because this trip was going to be SO short, I really did not want to wait in lines any longer than I had to so I nixed both holiday weekends (although in my limited experience MLK day isn't generally too bad for crowds and airfare and hotels aren't jacked up either like they are President's Day). We settled on Thursday, Jan 31st (evening flight), coming home on a late afternoon flight the following Monday, so daughter would only have to miss Friday and Monday. I probably made and cancelled over a 100 reservations for hotels, dining, etc. as I desperately reworked the trip for a more advantageous stay.

Choosing the hotel:
In October 2018, I settled on the Boardwalk Inn, a hotel I had never really considered (in 2018 I seriously considered a trip to Caribbean Beach resort with my sister in law's family but the trip never panned out, and I've always thought the Polynesian was cool), but I liked that it was close to two parks. However, because our flight was getting in so late Thursday night, and the per evening price was, although not peak season, still more than I had ever paid before, I decided to rent a car at MCO and drive to a Country Inn and Suites near the airport. I knew about the Magical Express (my coworker had taken it and told me about it), but I liked the idea of having my own car and I was still thinking maybe we would somehow magically find a few hours to drive to Cocoa Beach (very dumb). I used miles to rent the car, but even if I hadn't, I still think I would have come out ahead financially paying for a rental car but using a discounted hotel the first night.

Choosing the Flight:
Next, I booked airfare. I'm a Delta kind of girl (well not really, but we live in Minneapolis so that's our main airline) but this time I booked Sun Country since it was so much less expensive and the times worked out a little better (Delta was not offering a flight between the 6-7 pm window that I wanted on the way out and a 4-6 pm window on the way back, and Sun Country was). I had flown Sun Country lots of times in the past and never had an issue with them. Now, I had heard they were changing their policies in 2017-2018 to become more like Spirit, but even after I paid extra for a checked bag and chose our seats, I was still coming out ahead financially by quite a bit. But...I somehow did not get the memo that Sun Country had also undergone new management and everyone had a horror story about Sun Country Airlines. I went on Trip Advisor and read poor review after poor review and just about had a heart attack. I could live with "broken/spotty streaming" and "bad/no snacks" but then I read "lost luggage and they did not answer my 16 calls following up" or "I paid $x for upgraded seat and they did not honor that" to "they cancelled my flight because of maintenance issues and couldn't get me on a replacement flight for 3 days". Oh my god. I was terrified. My husband and kids do not do well with this kind of thing. When we travel, I basically research and plan for every possible contingency. (Spoiler alert, we were fine). I sweated bullets for three months before our trip wondering what kind of shenanigans we were in for.

Making the ADR part 1:
That said, I had a trip to plan. I booked the Disney Dining Plan and immediately got to work researching where we should go. Most of the places were out as the prices were not high enough to match what I had already prepaid. I was also wary of having dinner at a park or a hotel that was not within walking distance of our hotel because with kids, you just never know and you needed to cancel reservations 24 hours in advance. The last thing I wanted was a situation where everyone was tired and just wanted to leave the parks but we had to hang around for our 6 pm reservation. Looking at things from a price perspective, it seemed that one credit character meals (which were usually buffets) was going to be where we needed to go. I definitely wanted Ohana for breakfast, the Rapunzel Bon Voyage breakfast, and Coral Reef as a nod to Danny Tanner proposing to Vicky.

Here is a screenshot of my email inbox with all the dining reservations I made and subsequently cancelled:

disney dining.png

The Fast Pass Selection:
Around Christmas we were visiting family and ended up inviting my nephew to come along! To back up a bit, early Dec my FP window opened and I immediately booked Expedition Everest, Navi River, and Kilimanjaro Safaris for Friday, Feb 1. I could have gotten an FOP fast pass, but it would have been in the evening, I didn't know if we'd last that long, and my son was too young to ride it, Husband doesn't like thrill rides, and daughter is kind of nervous about thrill rides. So, I made someone's day and left that one on the table. For 2/2, I booked Epcot fast passes for Soaring/Test Track/Frozen Ever After (not all at once, obviously, but at some point I had one of the three booked, due to the tiered rules), Spaceship Earth, and I don't remember the last one. I figured I'd watch each day and see which Tier 1 ride had the longest waits and then switch, and hope to rope drop the other two, since Epcot had the most flexible of FP times (by that I mean you could book an FP even 30 days out and still get your first choice). For 2/3, I picked Snow White Mine Train, Space Mountain, and Peter Pan's Flight. I don't remember if I even planned on going to Hollywood Studios on 2/4 because we were flying home that day and I wasn't too interested in HS. I feel like I did not pick them right at the 60 day window because I know SDD was not an option but at some point I did pick up FPs for Aerosmith and Tower of Terror.

On 12/14, I had decided I wanted to pop for Toy Story Extra Morning Magic, despite it being expensive. But I figured hey, why not? When are we going to be here again?

The (happy) Wrinkle...
OK, so this brings us to family Christmas. For reasons I'll not get into, nephew (who's 11) was looking at needing a babysitter for the exact same long weekend we were going to be out of town. Seriously, what are the odds? I spent most of Christmas on the phone with both Disney and Sun Country seeing what it would take to add an 11 year old to our reservation. Luckily, the room I had booked at Boardwalk already slept 5. Unluckily for me, ALL our dining reservations except Toy Story had to get cancelled because they could not add a 5th to our table. Also, most of the FPs were still available except for Snow White, and we had to move our late morning Peter Pan FP to early evening. The nice CM told me on the phone I could prob plead my case at the park and get an FP for Snow White for him so don't immediately cancel our FPs. But a week later, I decided, in for a penny, in for a pound, and booked the Fantasyland early morning magic as well for that Sunday morning. I don’t remember if I left the PP and SWMT FPs or released them. I did release them at some point but I don’t know if it was prior to our trip.

So, as of early Jan our trip looked like this:

Thursday, 1/31- arrive late at MCO, get bags, rental car, drive 1.5 miles to Country Inn and Suites and call it a night
Friday 2/1- wake early, eat hotel breakfast, stop at store on way to get bottled water and snacks, be at AK right at 9 am (or earlier). Rope drop Avatar if possible (since now my nephew was there and would be interested), use our FPs, then go to Epcot (I had 4 day park hopper) for dinner at Coral Reef and see if we could get on any rides with minimal waits
Saturday 2/2- Breakfast at Cape May with Mickey and Minnie, go to Epcot, use FPs, go to Magic Kingdom once bored with Epcot. Late dinner reservation at Park Fare
Sunday 2/3- Early Morning Fantasyland! Lunch reservation at Be Our Guest, use FPs, head out to T Rex for dinner (this would be paid out of pocket)
Sunday 2/4- Early Morning Toy Story! use FPs, leave park around 1-2 pm, return rental car and fly home

A few tweaks were made before our trip: I decided to swap out Coral Reef for Biergarten as I just didn't think any of the food would appeal to my kids, and I thought Biergarten would be more fun, and an early morning Bon Voyage Rapunzel opened up 2/2 so I swapped that for Cape May.

Cue the Pre-Trip Freak Out...
So, mid Jan, we had our magic bands, we had time taken off, we had everything ready and then...the polar vortex of early 2019 happened. Dangerously cold temperatures. I spent the week leading up to my trip sure the extreme cold was going to mess with my flight. I emailed them nonstop...but what if this happens? What about this? They answered me the first few times and then I think they just figured I was a headcase.

Last edited:
So...we get to flight day! My father in law dropped off my nephew a few days early. But remember how I was worried about my daughter missing school? She missed over a WEEK due to extreme temperatures. She was set to go back...Friday, after we left. I felt like such a failure.

Husband is a nervous traveler so he and I were snipping at each other a bit as we were packing up the car to drive to airport. Travel day for us always is...not fun. You know how you always see people in the airport restaurants and bars, whooping it up, ready to kickstart their vacation? I wish I was one of them. Between the kids and very irritable husband, flight day involves no whooping it up. We get through security and sit down at the gate, and husband goes to get Subway for everyone. Daughter felt very grown up because she and my nephew sat together across the aisle from us. The seat next to them (it was 3 seats on each side) was empty the whole flight so that was a nice bonus.

Sun Country (2).jpg

Here is Ms. Big Shot herself!

So, we land, we get off, we're waiting for our luggage, and I just feel this great sense of relief. We are here. No matter what happens, we made it to Florida and nothing can take that away from me...until husband pulls up the weather report for Orlando on his phone, sees there is a chance for rain nearly every day we will be there, and says to me, ‘FYI, if it starts pouring, I am not putting on those rain ponchos you brought. We're leaving if that happens’.

I could have slugged him right then and there. I get it, he thought that argument might end up happening, and he wanted to have it while we were not standing in pouring rain, but really? I had been stressed for weeks about missing the flight, a cancelled flight, lost luggage- you name it, and I’ve just taken my first sigh of relief in weeks, and you want to immediately plan for our early flight from the parks? I told him we would have to wait and see what happens, and he was still like, I’m just saying, I’m not getting wet, and I turned away to get our carseats off the belt.

Well, that sure put a damper on the rest of the night. I sulked while we gathered our luggage (all accounted for), scowled as we made our way over to Enterprise to pick up our rental, glared as I directed him from the parking lot to our hotel, and stomped into the hotel to check in. I requested a rollaway bed from the front desk, which arrived quickly but the hotel was being remodeled and our room was tiny- we jammed that thing in where we could find room but we had to crawl over the beds to get there. Anyways, our flight got in around 9:30 pm ET, so it was probably closer to 10:30 ET when we got to the hotel room. I was still salty at DH for ruining my vacation buzz so we all decided to just change into pajamas and call it a night.

Animal Kingdom Day:

The next morning my kids and DH and I were all up around 7 am, but my nephew was still sleeping. I had heard that he was a late sleeper and a nightowl, and unfortunately for him we are all early risers. We really bonded with him on this trip, but at the beginning we honestly did not know him very well, and I didn’t want his impression of us to be that of drill sergeants. We decided to go down and get breakfast and let him sleep awhile longer. However, at 8 we were all getting pretty antsy and wanted to leave, so I woke up my nephew. Poor kid not only got woken up, but he had to slam his breakfast while the 4 of us stared at him.

I had wanted to stop and get bottled water and some snacks, but at that point it was around 8:30 and the park was a 20 min drive away. We decided to just worry about that later (dumb) and head for Animal Kingdom.

We got there right as the tram was taking people to the park, and entered the gates with no problem. And there, we came screeching to a halt. We had somehow managed to bypass every single map offering at the entrance of the park, and had no idea where we were going. The park had probably been open at that point about 5-10 min and I had figured we missed our window to rope drop Avatar FOP, so we weren’t sure what else to do first. DH was crabby because he didn’t have any caffeine yet (I’d had coffee at the hotel, but DH prefers energy drinks). We found something that would work at the gift shop and then I think we went to Dinoland and bummed around there for a bit.

I took some cute pics of DD7 dancing with some other kids but I couldn't find a pic that showed no one's faces so I won't post them.

We did Triceratop spin:

AK Face Edit 2.jpg

and then my nephew and I did Primeval Whirl. I completely forgot about the existence of Dinosaur so we did not visit that one at all. We headed over to the Jungle Trek and also walked through all the bird exhibits.

AK Face edit.jpg

(I know these stickers over faces is silly. It's NOT ME mandating this:) )

It was a really nice day. We did the Kilimanjaro Safaris next:AK 2019.jpg

We had an FP for this which was good because by 10-11 am the lines were already LONG.

I believe I had set up back to back FPs so I think Navi River Journey was next, around 11ish.

I liked it, and I think DS3 liked it, but everyone else was underwhelmed.

DH looked at the FOP standby line once we were done with NRJ, and I think it was around 150 min. The cast member nearby said there usually was a lunchtime lull around 1 pm (the lull being 90-120 min instead of 150-180). I assumed we’d just give up on that since DH is pretty impatient and I wasn’t sure my daughter would be into it. However, DH seemed intrigued and said he wanted to come back around 1 p.m.

We decided to break for lunch and came across our next snafu- our dining plan wasn’t showing up on our magicbands. We found this out as we tried to buy pizza for DS3 at Pizzafari. So we had to walk to the front for guest relations, and it turns out that since we had not checked into our room, our dining plan had not been activated. The cast member called Boardwalk (and told me my room number!) and got everything squared away. Then we walked over to Flame Tree BBQ, but DD7 wanted a cheeseburger and DS3 had his heart set on pizza. Because we were on vacation, DD7 and I walked back to Dinoland where she got a cheeseburger and fries combo in one of those little sand pails, which was so cute. I dropped her off with DH and ran back to Pizzafari to get pizza for DS3 (who was also waiting with DH). This isn’t as crazy as it sounds because it was nice walking by myself. I think I got a pizza for myself as well.

After lunch we saw that EE was down, which was during our FP window. It came back up after our window expired, which was fine because we were still allowed to use the FP line, but the FP line was pretty long. DH and DS3 went off to get popcorn while I waited in line with nephew and DD7. DD7 had told me she wanted to ride with nephew, but she chickened out and rode with me, while nephew rode with a teenage girl on the single rider line and I think nephew was pretty pleased with that. DD7 got a little scared but nephew and I LOVED it.

After the ride we met back up with DH and DS3 and went to see Festival of the Lion King. The kids and I loved it, but DH was a little bored with it. It was getting hot out at that point, and really crowded. After the show, DS3 was fading fast. He didn’t take daily naps at this point but he did sometimes need them still.

DD7, Nephew, and DH decided they were down to wait at the FOP standby line. It was probably about 3 pm at that point. We had 6:20 reservations at Biergarten so this was probably going to be the last thing they did at the park. I was thinking we’d probably be back to Animal Kingdom at some point over the visit but we ran out of time. We decided DS3 and I would check into the hotel using the buses to get over there, and would make our way back in a couple hours. This was not the most brilliant plan on my part because all our bags were still in the rental car trunk and DH had the keys, so DS3 and I couldn’t really do anything that required our bags. Nonetheless, DS3 and I found our right bus and made it to the hotel and checked in. Our hotel room was a “garden view” and was in the little building behind the large outdoor staircase of the main building. We were also really close to the quiet pool. We took a walk around the grounds, but DS3 was tired and a little crabby. At this point, it was probably about 4:30. I figured the rest of our group probably had another hour to wait in line so I decided we would just head back to the park. We got on the bus and DS3 curled up in my lap and immediately fell asleep. I decided just to keep riding the bus on a loop until he either woke up or DH called me. This might sound boring, but it was actually extremely pleasant. The window was open with a nice breeze, and I really enjoyed looking at all the hotels. I think I was on the bus about 30-40 min before we approached the park and I figured I had better get off. I thought I could possibly just carry him into the park and he might still sleep, however, he woke up when the bus stopped.

Just as I was getting off the bus, DH texted that he and the kids were done with the ride. I just said I would meet them at the rental car. DH was not very excited about going to another park for dinner but the older kids were pretty excited.

Next up, dinner at Biergarten!

Last edited:

Following!
What a great week of babysitting for your nephew - I would have been over the moon to go get a bonus Disney trip!!
Looking forward to the rest of your adventures!

Following!
What a great week of babysitting for your nephew - I would have been over the moon to go get a bonus Disney trip!!
Looking forward to the rest of your adventures!
Thanks for reading! (I was starting to feel like the new kid no one wants to sit with at lunch). Yes, it really worked out well and my kids LOVED having him along- my daughter always wanted an older brother. He was very gracious the whole time.

Dinner at Biergarten/Bon Voyage Breakfast:

We left the park and drove to the hotel, brought our bags in, and then headed out to Epcot via the boat. We got to Biergarten a little before our reservation, and it seemed like it took a long time to get seated. It was probably closer to 7 when we got seated and told we could visit the buffet. We ended up having a great time though- we got the large beer steins and listened to the music and made friends with the group sitting at our table, who were drinking really dark beers. We told the server we were newbies and to bring us something light.

Biergarten.jpg

Biegarten Face.jpg

The food was pretty much eh, but the overall vibe was lots of fun. I doubt we'd ever come back, but it was fun to experience once.

I think it was about 8 or 8:30 when we finished up, and I really wanted to stay and close down the park. The Frozen ride was 35 min standby which in early 2019 was pretty miraculous, plus I wanted to watch the fireworks. I think my nephew would have powered through but the younger kids and DH were done. I reluctantly agreed to go back and every firework that I could hear from our room was like taunting me. It seemed too mean though to send DH back to the hotel with the two younger ones (I am the family navigator) so I agreed. I reminded myself we had two more nights and lots to do over the next 3 days so we should get to sleep. I also warned Nephew (playfully) that there would be no more sleeping in for the rest of the trip- we had early morning plans every day.

The next morning was the Bon Voyage breakfast! Our reservation was at 7:35 am and I had been looking forward to it for almost a year. We got up and dressed (dragging poor nephew out of bed again) and walked to the restaurant. We had to sit and wait for probably about 10 min and then they did the announcement for our family which honestly I think embarrassed all of us over the age of 10.

Rapunzel Breakfast Face.jpg

rapunzel breakfast face 2.jpg

(Ariel and Eric were a bit boring, but Rapunzel and Flynn were awesome! We teased him about his man purse, and then Rapunzel came over and laughed at him).

DD7 at the parade:

Rapunzel Breakfast.jpg

The younger kids got the little Pasqual clip on light up things to put on their drinks. Nephew was offered one and demurred. The restaurant had stopped including the fruit parfaits as part of the prie fix meal but our server was really nice and said he would bring some out. I think we all thought the bread basket was a nice touch but none of us really ate much of that.

I don’t remember what any of us ordered, although I am fairly certain either my nephew or husband got the King Triton meal, or perhaps both did. It was a crazy stupid amount of food. I like a full hot breakfast at 7:30 am (unlike some people who don’t really get hungry right away) and I even I thought that was a bit much. We left a ton of food behind which seemed really wasteful.

I really enjoyed the breakfast but definitely one and done for this. No dis to the restaurant, it just isn't something I feel the need to do again. It was probably a little over $200 for the five of us, and to me the character interaction just isn't worth that markup, even at top form.

I'll most likely never get the dining plan again, but if I do, it'll be the quick service option. When I think counter service, I think burgers and fries, hot dogs, chicken fingers, and pizza, but Disney has really stepped up their game in terms of counter service. My only real incentive for table service was to get away from the “Mcfood” standard fare, and now that Disney has really provided such solid options, I don’t know that we will ever do table service again. Maybe at Disney Springs or the hotels.

Up next, Epcot!

Last edited:

EPCOT/Dinner at Park Fare

Anyways, after we ate we paid and walked over to Epcot. So, everyone was whining that Epcot was “boring”- before we even got there- that at some point I cancelled all our fast passes and reset them for evening hours at Magic Kingdom. These were all last min, so I think it was the Haunted Mansion and Pirates, possibly Astro Orbiters. I had decided we were going to rope drop Frozen and hope for the best for Soaring and Test Track.

We got to the back entrance of Epcot about 8:45 am. I had hoped they’d let us in early but no such luck. At 9 am, we race walked to Frozen and had maybe a 5 min wait. I LOVED this ride! It was a little too mild for my nephew, but my daughter liked it. My son thought it was too scary with the giant snowman.

And here is where I screwed up- we decided to wait to meet Anna and Elsa. We probably could have had near walk on time to Test Track at this point, or maybe 15-20 min wait, and we waited in line to meet Anna and Elsa, gave up about 15 valuable minutes waiting, before leaving the line. At that point, Soarin was about 15-20 min and Test Track was at about 45 min. So we split up, and Husband took the older kids to Soarin and Test Track (Soarin first), while my son and I rode Nemo, waited in line to meet Joy from Inside Out, and got coffee/donuts.

Joy Epcot.jpg

By then things were getting CROWDED. All the boys were bored with the park. I insisted on riding Spaceship Earth together and then Husband was going to take the boys back to the hotel while my daughter and I rode Soarin and got lunch. Husband said he just wanted to get burgers at the hotel, so off they went. I don’t remember where my daughter and I ate lunch but I think it was also a burger place at Epcot. I was a bit salty at this point because I thought all the guys were being too negative and Epcot is NOT a boring park. I would have liked to do more with the World Showcase- and my daughter was being pretty go with the flow- but it was so crowded and I knew everyone really wanted to get to Magic Kingdom.

So, I think about 1-2 we said goodbye to the park and decided to check out the creepy clown pool at Boardwalk. Sidenote- I find the layout of Boardwalk EXTREMELY awkward. Unless there’s some passageway I missed, you have to access the main pool by walking by the front entrance of the Boardwalk, where all the shops and restaurants are. That was something I wasn’t super stoked to do while in swimwear. I mean, yeah, I had a coverup, but the whole thing just felt weird and awkward. Anyways, we liked the pool, but it was starting to cloud up by then, and without the sun beating down it got a little cold. The water was heated but not really that warm. I think it was probably about 70 at that point, which felt warm when you’re out walking but not when you’re swimming. My kids gave up pretty quickly pretty and headed back to the room with their dad, so just nephew and I were there. I really wanted to get a drink at the pool bar- I love pool bars!- but I didn’t have my ID on me and I wasn’t sure they’d serve me without it. I finally told my nephew we had to get out around 3:30 if we were going to have time to go on rides before our dinner reservation at 1900 Park Fare.

We headed to the bus stop and a Minnie Driver came over to us and said he would take us there for free because he was bored. That was nice, but we still tipped him and I think honestly we would have just been fine with the bus. No matter. We walked in and it was crowded, but also around 4:30 pm, so I think people had started leaving or going to dinner. I think we might have headed towards Haunted Mansion then. I feel like we only had time for the one ride. We walked back out of the park and headed for the resort monorail, which took forever and I was getting stressed we were going to miss our reservation. We were a few min late but they sat us without any issue.

Park Fare 2.jpg

Park Fare.jpg

And guys, I have to say this: I now hate 1900 Park Fare. Our server was great, but as I said in another post, the whole thing smacked of a Golden Corral. The food was eh at best (I mean, there was a variety, but none of it looked particularly good), and the room was pretty boring. This was our last table service meal and it ended on a bit of a sour note for us. The interaction with the evil Stepmother and stepsisters was good, but not worth the money. I had picked it because it was the most expensive 1 credit table service meal I could find, which was a bit of a false economy, since none of us liked it. We will never be back.

Up next, closing down Magic Kingdom!

I’m amazed that your bus ended up back at AK on your first day, they sometimes get routed to other parks :)

Last edited:
We headed back to Magic Kingdom, and at that point, I was honestly feeling a little gloomy. Magic Kingdom 2019 night.jpg

We only had one full day left, it was starting to rain, and rain was in the forecast for the next day. My son was dragging already, and I was starting to doubt he was up for another 2 days in the parks. We headed for the carousel and my normally easygoing daughter had her first meltdown- she wanted to pick her own horse, and we made her ride the “ugly” one closest to us. But we needed to keep everyone together so we beelined over to an empty cluster. She pouted and I started to wonder why we were even still there.

carousel.jpg

(My daughter contemplating her awful, unfair life).

However, the night perked up when we headed for Astro Orbiters, which everyone liked.

Astro.jpg

By then people were jockeying for positions to watch the fireworks, and I decided I was going to insist we stay. We ended up near the Plaza, pushed up against the wall because it was still misting out. And guys- the fireworks were SPECTACULAR. It made the whole trip seem worth it, and we loved it. After that we headed back to the buses.

And next, Fantasyland Early Morning Magic and my absolute epic failure at basic planning.

And guys, here comes my EPIC screw up. I can’t believe my Type A, must plan for every contingency failed me here...

So, we had Early Morning Magic at Fantasyland, starting at 7:45. As per the expert advice I obtained, I wanted to drive there instead of relying on the buses. We got away a little later than I had planned, about 7:15-7:20. No problem, right? We are a 5 min drive. We can park and be in the gates by 7:30, right? That’s about how long it took us to enter Animal Kingdom.

I FORGOT YOU DON’T DIRECTLY PARK AT MAGIC KINGDOM AND YOU HAVE TO TAKE ADDITIONAL TRANSPORTATION THERE.

I don’t know how I forgot that, but we are entering the Transportation Center right at 7:35. AND THE SECURITY LINES FOR BAGS WERE MASSIVE. Oh my word, so massive. Some of these people had loaded up their strollers like they were going on the Oregon Trail or something. Diaper bags, backpacks, shopping bags, rolled up blankets- all hanging off the handles and EACH NEEDED TO BE CHECKED INDIVIDUALLY. If I wasn’t such a psycho about my purse I would have just chucked it and held my phone and wallet all day.

We finally get through the line and it’s now about 7:45-7:50. Fine, we just have to hop the monorail and we’re there, right? I’m only going to miss 5 min. Oh wait, it’s too early for the regular monorail, we have to ride the RESORT MONORAIL AND PICK UP PEOPLE FROM ALL THREE RESORTS. Tears may have been shed at that point, and not by anyone under the age of 30. Okay, it was me.

We had one hour and 15 min to ride the rides ahead of the regular ticket holders and each moment was passing me by and I was SO MAD at myself.

Finally we get there, and I pretty much pick up my son and tell the rest, run if you want, I’m going to the Mine Ride. We booked it to Fantasyland and waited about 5 min in line for the Mine Ride. Son was not at all a fan, Nephew thought it was a little lame, and Daughter LOVED it.

Mine ride.jpg

(Nephew is a good sport and throws his arms up every ride)

We rode it twice while Husband took son to IASW. I am not sure of the exact order but we managed to ride Peter Pan twice and meet Rapunzel. I think at this point it was about a few min to nine and we jumped on the Mine Train one more time while the rope droppers were waiting in a different line.

Right at nine we decide to head over to Thunder Mountain, and see if we can beat the rope droppers headed in that direction. We didn’t beat them, but we got there pretty quickly and the line was relatively short. No one was a particular fan of that one. We skipped Splash Mountain because it was a little cold that morning.

stocks.jpg

Largely empty around 9 am...

At this point, it was about 9:30 and we decided we better eat the breakfast provided with the EMM tickets. I hated to waste the low park wait times at everywhere but Fantasyland, but they were only serving until 10. We had a late lunch ADR at Be Our Guest.

Well, here things went a teeny bit sideways again. Son had had enough of the parks. It was around 10 am and we had to at least last until our 2 pm ADR. We had a 1 pm FP for Space Mountain and the park was growing more and more crowded by the minute.

So, we had 3 hours to kill and no one really felt all that excited to be there. I was still mad at myself for screwing up and not making everyone leave our hotel room early enough to experience all of Fantasyland (we had to forgo Ariel and Winnie the Pooh), Husband and son were bored with the park, it was misting again, and it was CROWDED. People were being so rude, walking 10 people abreast, stopping abruptly to have a conversation and blocking walkways, looking at their phones and not paying attention to where they were walking- it did not feel magical.

Daughter and Nephew decided they wanted to go on Splash Mountain, which already had a pretty long line by then. I brought up just going back to the hotel until 2 pm for our reservation, but Husband didn’t want to walk all the way out and then come back. We waited for the kiddos with DD3 and just people watched, I think between the line and the ride it was about 45 min.

After Splash Mountain we headed for Pirates, and did that and Jungle Cruise, which we all liked. Then we were going to ride Aladdin since it was right there and only had a 30 min posted wait time, but ended up being an hour long line as some kid threw up while on the ride.

My daughter and I split up to go on the tea cups, while Husband took the boys back to Astro Orbiter, since the posted wait time was short.

teacups.jpg

At this point, it just kind of felt more like we were just killing time then really have any fun. The older kids and I went to Space Mountain at 1 and we all liked it, but we caused a bit of a ruckus because Nephew left his phone in the car and we had to have them stop the ride to retrieve it.

It was probably about 1:30 and we decided just to go wait by Belle’s castle for our reservation, since it was about the only area of the park that wasn’t wall to wall people. Husband felt kind of bad for me since he could tell I was really disappointed over how the day was going and he had our daughter take some pictures of just us which was sweet. We used the app to put in our order ahead of time. They finally let us in and we went straight to the table since we’d already ordered. We found coveted seating in the West Wing with lightning and the ripped portrait of the prince which all the kids LOVED.

Be Our Guest.jpg

be our guest 2.jpg

That was a nice turning point of the day- I really liked what I ordered and so did everyone else- but by that point I was super glum, especially since my husband said he wanted to cancel our ADR at T-Rex and just order a pizza or something. We were paying for T-Rex out of pocket and also had made our reservation directly through them and not the Disney app, so there was no penalty for the late cancellation.

We trudged through the park after lunch and headed out, and I was pretty quiet on the way to the hotel. We got to the room and I locked myself in the bathroom to cry. I was dreading our vacation being over the next day, I didn’t want another EMM fiasco, and I just felt like I had planned this trip so carefully yet our Magic Kingdom day felt like a total bust. Reading this now, this sounds SO spoiled! We got to ride every ride we wanted, we got to eat at a popular place and sit where we wanted- yes, we missed about 25 min of an event for which I had paid the equivalent of a moderate monthly car payment to attend, and that was unfortunate, but the only real consequence was missing Winnie the Pooh and Ariel, which no one was that stoked for anyways. We maybe could have squeezed in more pass on the Mine Ride, but how many times do you really need to ride that? But I was just emotional about our trip being nearly over, a trip I had spent 6 months organizing and refining.

Everyone was kind of lounging around at that point, and the Superbowl was going to be airing soon. We ended up ordering a pizza at a window near the hotel, and then at some point I said I was going to use up some snack credits getting some soft pretzels and other stuff to go with the pizza. Mostly I drank a few beers and wandered around the boardwalk area and enjoyed the quiet. It was a pleasant night, but admittedly tinged with some sadness.

Boardwalk 2019.jpg

Up next, our final day and Toy Story Early Morning Magic...

I am so sorry your MK day didn’t turn out like you were expecting... it is so disappointing when things don’t go as planned - especially when you spent so much time planning and daydreaming about the perfect trip!
I can only imagine how frustrated you must have been when you realized you had to go through TTC and the monorail... in the moment it must have felt terrible!
But afterwards, we look back and it doesn’t seem so bad!

I loved Bon voyage breakfast the last time we qent
I agree about the dining plan - I feel like it’s too much pressure to have to plan one sit down meal and maximize DDP credits... since I enjoy split stays, I think we will always get it for just one half of the trip and squeeze in more sit down meals in that part of the trip, and enjoy more unplanned time for the rest of the trip.

i hope the last days of your trip will make it up for that disappointing day!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter