Can I get into Kona without an ADR?

ReneeA

DIS Veteran
How busy is Kona? Is it likely that I can call one night in advance and get an ADR for an early dinner?

I have 2 nights open without ADR's as my DH would like this trip to be a little more relaxing. However, I really want to try Kona and am concerned I won't ever get in. Do they serve lunch, or is it just breakfast and dinner?

I just tried to get Kona for the end of the Free Dining period and they only thing left was 8pm. You can always cancel them if you decide not to go.

I called yesterday and got Kona for 8/21 at 6:25pm. I was shocked that I got it!

We went to Kona on friday, we had ADRs, but there were people who got in without. They came just as the restaurant was opening, were told to wait and I guess a group off people were no shows for an ADR, so they were able to get in.

Since you will be going durring the free dinning time, I don't think that you will have that same luck!

I, myself, don't see what is relaxing about wondering where I am going to eat dinner! I find our day goes a lot smoother having my adrs planned ahead of time. For instance, we added an extra day to our recent trip, and cound't get ressies the morning of to any place we wanted to eat at...we ended up at Wolfgang Pucks, not bad, but not our first choice.

nickelsfamily said:
I, myself, don't see what is relaxing about wondering where I am going to eat dinner! I find our day goes a lot smoother having my adrs planned ahead of time. For instance, we added an extra day to our recent trip, and cound't get ressies the morning of to any place we wanted to eat at...we ended up at Wolfgang Pucks, not bad, but not our first choice.

I totally agree, which is why I have only 2 nights out of 8 free without an ADR. Unfortunately, I *barely* convinced DH that we should go again...and that was only with the promise that I would relax the plans up a bit.

If it were up to him, he would go without the dining plan and only come out of the pool/hot tub to order wings from the pool bar. The man would prefer never to step foot in a park or restaurant while there.

I guess I'll try to get an ADR and then cancel if it doesn't work for us that morning.

Thanks. :)

ReneeA said:
Do they serve lunch, or is it just breakfast and dinner?

They serve Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner. On our last trip, we walked up and got a table for breakfast at around 10am on a Friday. We also had dinner there the following night (we had an ADR). We were also able to call a day in advance and get an ADR there again the following Tuesday for dinner. Of course we went when there was no free dining (we paid for the DDP) so it may be harder to get a table but who knows. Kona Cafe is really a great place to eat - surprisingly excellent food.

We love Kona for any meal, but we prefer lunch over dinner. It doesn't seem as busy, and it's definitely less noisy since you don't have as many people in the lobby coming "home" from the parks and waiting to get into 'Ohana and the lounge.

I would make the ADR and then cancel if it doesn't work for your plans that day.

It's surprisingly busy considering it has almost no atmosphere (compared, at least, to other WDW restaurants). You could just as easily be in a Hyatt in Sacramento. Good food, though.

Kaycee said:
We love Kona for any meal, but we prefer lunch over dinner. It doesn't seem as busy, and it's definitely less noisy since you don't have as many people in the lobby coming "home" from the parks and waiting to get into 'Ohana and the lounge.

That's good news to me. I added Kona for lunch on our departure day. Looking forward to the Hawaiian plate lunch and chocolate macadmia nut dessert.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!