Can DCL ships split king beds?

warrenz1963

Mouseketeer
I'm in the preliminary stages of planning a cruise on the Fantasy. My sister and I will be traveling together, sharing one room. I've looked for the answer elsewhere but cannot find any information. Can the double/king beds be split to make two singles, or will one of us have to sleep on the sofa?

No. The rooms have a minimum of a queen bed and the couch where the back folds down to reveal a twin bed. The queen does not split. Some of the "family" rooms have a murphy bed.
I suspected this was the case. We're both "of a certain age" and neither one if us is thrilled with the idea of sleeping on the pulldown. We may just go ahead and book adjoining rooms, one for each of us... that's if we win the lottery!

I suspected this was the case. We're both "of a certain age" and neither one if us is thrilled with the idea of sleeping on the pulldown. We may just go ahead and book adjoining rooms, one for each of us... that's if we win the lottery!
It's not a pull down. The couch makes into a twin bed and according to my granddaughter it is very comfortable as it has a regular mattress. It is not a "hide a bed"

I’m 58, 5’9” and 235 lbs and sleeping 5x on the couch. I always give up the bed to my parents. I’m saying it’s fine, comfortable even. Only issue might be height.
Also ask to have head by Queen Bed electric outlets in case you want to charge phone while using in bed.

I’m 58, 5’9” and 235 lbs and sleeping 5x on the couch. I always give up the bed to my parents. I’m saying it’s fine, comfortable even. Only issue might be height.
Also ask to have head by Queen Bed electric outlets in case you want to charge phone while using in bed.
You and I are nearly identical in size and age, I appreciate your input!

You might ask your room attendant to change sheets halfway through the cruise and switch places, so each of you gets the big bed for almost half the time. I assume it's a 7nt cruise...so 1 person gets 3 nts the other 4.

I'm 5'7" and a healthy weight, and would not choose to sleep on a converted couch during my vacation, at least not on a vacation I paid for. The bed is important imo. I like that DCL has real queen beds instead of stitched-together twins, because a real queen bed is more comfortable, and comfort is important on vacation.

You might ask your room attendant to change sheets halfway through the cruise and switch places, so each of you gets the big bed for almost half the time. I assume it's a 7nt cruise...so 1 person gets 3 nts the other 4.
I like this idea a lot, I thought about this too. :)

I'm 5'7" and a healthy weight, and would not choose to sleep on a converted couch during my vacation, at least not on a vacation I paid for. The bed is important imo. I like that DCL has real queen beds instead of stitched-together twins, because a real queen bed is more comfortable, and comfort is important on vacation.
I was laying down with my daughter the first time I fell asleep on the bed-couch. It was so comfortable I didn’t even realize except near morning when I was looking for space and bumping into my daughter. I do pay for the room and sleep on the couch. Way better than when we slept in Italy in those awful twin/twin rooms. I’ll take a Disney couch anytime over that air mattress/“bed” they had there! Exactly like my daughters dorm bed, maybe to avoid bed bugs.

I was laying down with my daughter the first time I fell asleep on the bed-couch. It was so comfortable I didn’t even realize except near morning when I was looking for space and bumping into my daughter.
You shared the convertible couch with another person? Is your daughter an adult? We're talking about the coach that folds down into a single bed, right?

You shared the convertible couch with another person? Is your daughter an adult? We're talking about the coach that folds down into a single bed, right?
At the time she was 11 so not too big then. She’s 22 now. Yes that bed in the back of the couch is really nice, but the Murphy bed that folds down I don’t have as much love for. I’ve only been on that one once for a week. I recommend people who are more evenly distributed with their weight.

I realize this might have changed, and be totally out of date now, but on my first cruise on the Wonder, back over 15 years ago (?), they did in fact split the King bed into two twin beds. The nightstands on the two sides were put into the middle. I don't even think the nightstands are movable anymore.

Note: I was also on the cruise as part of a conference being held onboard(!), sharing a room with a colleague. I don't think Disney runs conferences onboard anymore, either (since the conference facilities have been removed - they used to be on the 2nd floor, I think it was, then that became the Edge, and I think now it's more staterooms or something). So, the split King might be something they used to allow, but don't anymore...

You are correct. They big beds did split at one time. They eventually switched all the ships over to the new, higher beds with storage for luggage underneath. With that change the ability to split the beds was gone.

MJ

I remember when they used to split. Seems like they could still offer that in a few cabins? Also wanted to mention that the fold out bed that's a couch is more of a fold OVER couch. The back of the couch folds over (easy to do by yourself) and the mattress is probably 8 inches thick? No springs or anything. It's pretty comfy! And there's a nice heavy curtain that can split the room in half for a little privacy - so someone could read at night and not keep the other person up. I took a Carnival Cruise (bad move on my part) and the beds did split but the distance between them was maybe 10 inches, if that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter