Can’t modify resort online have to call

There has to be a benefit or advantage to Disney with this. Not sure what, but they have a reason.
I think they prefer folks book packages. The terms are much more restrictive with a package.

Maybe their hope is the waits are too long to cancel and you’re forced to keep the room lol
Nah, that isn't possible. People won't be forced to keep rooms they can't make trips to. They'll stay on the line to cancel as long as it takes. What it will do is send people to TA's. I have one that I'll start to use. My local friends with AP have been using her for years. She did the trip we all took for the Princess race in Feb and it went great. I'll be joining them going forward. Good for her, less trouble for me. I'll ask her to watch for X and X types of rooms to open, or X type of discount.

There has to be a benefit or advantage to Disney with this. Not sure what, but they have a reason.
Maybe it is so people use TA? I don't know what advantage Disney gets if you use a TA but I suppose there could be one
I know I'm going to use one. Let her deal with changes/cancellations instead of me

Most likely a glitch.

Seems like a bad time to increase calls to your already understaffed call center.

If WDW really wants to decrease multiple or unlikely bookings, there are a lot better ways to do it.

If you have an AP you can't book a package
True. But they don't seem all that interested in promoting AP's these days either.
Most people don't have an AP. The more restrictive package rules work in Disney's favor, I think.

If you have an AP you can't book a package

You can actually book a ticketless package, but you have to call. So more trouble than it’s worth.

Ex: I called to book a room with the Disney Visa discount before it was online. The CM knew I had an AP & didn’t need tickets. She was surprised I wanted a room only reservation & not a package. She said most people prefer to only pay the $200 deposit.

Last edited:

You can actually book a ticketless package, but you have to call. So more trouble than it’s worth.

I called to book a room with the Disney Visa discount before it was online. The CM knew I had an AP & didn’t need tickets. She was surprised I wanted a room only reservation & not a package. She said most people prefer to only pay the $200 deposit.
Ok, yes but who wants that. Besides if you are calling totally defeats the purpose of not having to call to cancel so for this subject, a moot point.

Most likely a glitch.

Seems like a bad time to increase calls to your already understaffed call center.

If WDW really wants to decrease multiple or unlikely bookings, there are a lot better ways to do it.
Not to mention this is increases multiple bookings. If you find what you want, with limited room inventory, you better book what you see and call to cancel the other later. If you wait to call to have them modify you'll likely loose the room you want.

I think they prefer folks book packages. The terms are much more restrictive with a package.
Which 100% doesn't work for people like me with an out of state AP. I'm not gonna book a package when I don't need a ticket. It was fine when they had dining packages and you could do a package with dining and no tickets if you had my situation, but you can't do that anymore. So I'm stuck here having to wait on hold, or wait for a call back, and risk having a horribly rude CM who treats me like I'm stupid when I say I used to be able to modify online. It really keeps me from wanting to book in the first place, and I spend way too much money at Disney so that's probably helpful for me, but I'm the kinda person they probably actually want being able to book with ease since it means I'll do it more. Now I'm like "eh......maybe I'll wait". I'm sure it has something to do with them not wanting people to book a room as a placeholder until discounts come out, then dropping the rack rate room for the discount. They probably just want us all to sit around and then try and grab rooms Hunger Games style, because that's exactly what would happen, we'd all frantically run to get rooms before they're all gone and we're left with only super expensive rooms (may the odds be ever in your favor).

Ex: I called to book a room with the Disney Visa discount before it was online. The CM knew I had an AP & didn’t need tickets. She was surprised I wanted a room only reservation & not a package. She said most people prefer to only pay the $200 deposit.
a ticketless package is just a room only, there is nothing else in the "package", and in order to book that you still have to call which doesn't make it any easier. I don't mind paying for one night upfront, I'll have to pay that amount anyway, AND I have up until 5 days before the trip to cancel with a full refund as opposed to a package. In times like now, when I could get sick right up to my trip, it's nice having that closer window to cancel.

a ticketless package is just a room only, there is nothing else in the "package", and in order to book that you still have to call which doesn't make it any easier. I don't mind paying for one night upfront, I'll have to pay that amount anyway, AND I have up until 5 days before the trip to cancel with a full refund as opposed to a package. In times like now, when I could get sick right up to my trip, it's nice having that closer window to cancel.

Oh I agree, which is why I never book a package. I was just making the point that APs can in fact book a package, which a PP said they couldn’t. There are “magical extras” with the package as the CM pointed out. But at this point, it’s a few limited discounts & a round of mini golf before 4pm. I ended up telling her my AP shopping & mini golf discounts are better than the few discount offers that come with the package, so I’m fine without them. But I agree, the 5 day cancellation is important to me too. And not having to hand over thousands of dollars a month before my trip.

In the same boat, so annoying!

Perhaps someone mentioned it, "googled" the issue and there are periodic threads going back to 2017 re: the modify/cancel logic being switched off.

Fingers crossed this is a temporary IT problem. Cannot figure out how this would benefit Disney in the slightest. In our experience, the inventory of rooms is almost always non-existent (all price ranges) whenever we try to visit (including with a few days notice).

I really hope that it’s a temporary glitch. I really want the option to modify and/or cancel online back.

I wonder if it was tied to the Halloween party tickets going on sale for resort guests first? Maybe they wanted to stop people from booking a room, getting a ticket, and easily canceling the room?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter