Camping with Toddlers

Jeannine

Earning My Ears
Hi everyone,
My family and I spent a wonderful week this past September staying in a Cabin and we LOVED IT...now my husband,who grew up camping, is trying to talk me into a camping vacation this coming September with our 2 kids who will be 5 and 2 by then....our now 18 month old is a climbing, running, getting into trouble fun-loving kid but is this a recipe for disaster????? I've never been camping nor have I driven that far with the kids????? Thanks for any help and Happy New Year
Jeannine

My son has been camping most of his life! He is a real "ruff & tumble" type too. Infact, we'd rather have the kids camping then in a hotel anyday! Camping gives them the outdoors for playing. Something about the fresh air makes my kids sleep better.
As far as the car trip, we travel alot, and have no major problems. Just stop when they've had enough, and pick up again when you are all rested.

Robin P.
FW 75-80,89
offsite 88,93,94,95,96,97,98
FW 99
Next Trip Dec.2000 FW

Both of my boys have always camped the oldest one now 16 has camped ever since he was 8months old.
My boy love to camp they won't stay at hotel when we go to FW!!.You should have no problems...

wdwfortwildernesslogo.gif

{Dreams Do Come True at Walts Place}
cmprmov4.gif

Im tammy, and I am also thinking about camping with my kids this october they will be 6 and 3 and I am also nervous. I am also from Pa, I have a lot of ideas for the trip down. one of them in car locked down tv vcr things, or new coloring books and crayons, things you can pull out as they get bored to surprise them or travel at night thats what my parents did. Hope they help

[]

Tammy

I appreciate all the tips. I wish my kids slept in the car but they don't. They just stay awake and are so unhappy. I think we're going to make at least one overnight stop, maybe two depending on how we're doing. The TV/VCR combo is great (I wonder how my parents did without?). I think I'm going to be reading these boards quite a bit to get camping tips since I'm the trip planner and know nothing about camping. Thanks again.

Hi Jeannine,
We have camped at FW several times since 1989, and wouldn't go any other way. Our 8 year old twins have been camping since they were 1 yr old, and our other children (in their 20's) have all camped since they were little. It is such a great way to vacation with kids. My only advice for you is to make sure you like camping before you go. We love to camp, and so camping is a double vacation so to speak, but I can imagine if you find after you get there that it doesn't work for you it could be a disaster. Don't get me wrong, as I said I wouldn't go any other way. Ther is a great opportunity for the kids to work off extra energy at the campsite, and always other kids for them to play with. It makes the off time much more enjoyable for Mom and Dad as the kids aren't cramped in a hotel room, or asking for money for the arcade. Hope you have a great time. Please e-mail me if you have any questions.
Val

FW is a great place for kids, so much to do. My niece and nephew love to play with / feed the wildlife. They do a great job of occupying their time.

While the trip down can cause boredom, once you arrive they will have a blast.

<Font Size=2><Font Color=blue>Scott</Font><Font
>
Co-Moderator Camping @ Disney Board

DisneyCampers@wdwinfo.com
<center><Font Color=ff0066><Font size=4>www.disneycampers.com
</Font></font></center>
<marquee>
wavey.GIF
</marquee>

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter