• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Camera for the beach/water/pool

What do you use for pictures at the beach/pool/water park?

• Take your good camera and take your chances!

• Buy a cheap second camera that is water resistant just for those ocassions! Please recommend.

• Let the Disney folks take the pictures and not worry the camera issue at all

• Not even think of pictures to take home and do none of the above!

• Another option from what is above... please explain!

Results are only viewable after voting.
The underwater ones (while snorkeling) seemed a bit fuzzy, but it's hard to tell whether it was due to the cloudyness of the water, or not great picture taking. The ones we had taken onboard our snorkeling boat seemed clear.

I'll dig a few up and post them for you. Tomorrow, since I'll have to scan them in to post.

:cutie:

Thanks... I am interested.

$12 seems like a far better deal than $200+ for an infrequently used camera.

---Paul

I have a canon powershot that does a great job. (It's also perfect for inside the parks because of its size.) DH gave it to me for Christmas before our last cruise. We invested in the waterproof case. Whenever I head to the pool, beach or outdoors with a chance of rain, the case goes on.
My underwater pics were BEAUTIFUL!! so worth the price of the case IMHO. The case was a little pricey, but the peice of mind I've had has been worth every penny!

That being said DH gave me a canon rebel dslr for Christmas this year. Both will go on the upcoming cruise.

This past summer @ WDW I ended up traveling with 4 cameras (Video, the powershot, a sony mavica, and canon film camera.) I retired the mavica and rebel film due to the new rebel I got in Dec. I'll prob. leave the video home (due to the video option on the new camera). The powershot is a pretty good camera, but the quality of action pics I got on my old rebel and quality of night photo (fireworks/lights) on the mavica is so awesome I couldn't knowingly sacrifice :)
DH is excited about this trip because there will only be 1 camera bag,:woohoo: and no debates about having to leave cameras at home to reduce baggage since we're flying this go round...

I guess in my long winded way my advice is to go ahead a purchase (if possible) a decent waterproof camera or camera/waterproof case. There will be more vacations, parties, outdoor events when you'll be worried about protecting the really good camera. Having a 2nd one takes that stress off of you, and you'll have a camera to use in any situation (JMO).:goodvibes

Panasonic Lumix for near-water/underwater shots (up to 40ft) and a Nikon D7000 with the holy trinity in glass for everything else.

I use the Fuji disposable waterproof camera mentioned above. I think I paid $9.95 at Walmart and it has something like 18 shots on it. The downside is that it's film, not digital, so there's no review of your pics to know how well they are framed, etc. I just get around this by taking lots of pics of anything interesting and hope at least one is a good one. :rotfl:

I decided to go this route because, after reading many many reviews, I've determined that none of the "waterproof" cameras are truly waterproof (especially in saltwater. You can find sites online that explain how the waterproofing components of cameras are worn away over time, especially by saltwater) - they're more "splashproof." And I wanted something I could really take underwater pictures with for an extended period. For the price of one of the waterproof digital ones that might leak on first or second use, I'd just rather by the disposable ones. I'm sure others have had great luck with them, but my luck runs more along the lines of it leaking first use. :rotfl:

Also, when I get the disposables developed, I always select the option to get the pics on CD so I have them in digital format to put on my computer.

A few pics from a Fuji disposable underwater camera:

stingray.jpg

stingray2.jpg

starfish.jpg

ccfish.jpg

I use the Fuji disposable waterproof camera mentioned above. I think I paid $9.95 at Walmart and it has something like 18 shots on it. The downside is that it's film, not digital, so there's no review of your pics to know how well they are framed, etc. I just get around this by taking lots of pics of anything interesting and hope at least one is a good one. :rotfl:

I decided to go this route because, after reading many many reviews, I've determined that none of the "waterproof" cameras are truly waterproof (especially in saltwater. You can find sites online that explain how the waterproofing components of cameras are worn away over time, especially by saltwater) - they're more "splashproof." And I wanted something I could really take underwater pictures with for an extended period. For the price of one of the waterproof digital ones that might leak on first or second use, I'd just rather by the disposable ones. I'm sure others have had great luck with them, but my luck runs more along the lines of it leaking first use. :rotfl:

Also, when I get the disposables developed, I always select the option to get the pics on CD so I have them in digital format to put on my computer.

A few pics from a Fuji disposable underwater camera:

stingray.jpg

stingray2.jpg

starfish.jpg

ccfish.jpg

I am actually very impressed with the quality considering the price. Seems like $20 for a couple of these is a better investment than a couple hundred $ for something that will sit in a drawer most of the time. I really like my current digital camera and it goes everywhere.... especially because of the 35X optical zoom.... so I think I have found my answer.

This way each kid can have their own water camera for the trip and I don't have to worry about their regular cameras either!

Many thanks!

---Paul in Southern NJ

OK, I see someone else posted pictures. Here's a couple of mine:

These were on our MR cruise, a far away shot of the Wonder and an underwater shot. The underwater one is a bit dark because the snorkle area was on the shady side of the rock.

2ufetud.jpg

And a couple from Castaway Cay:

The family beach, and an underwater shot of a fish swiming by.

ndtnxv.jpg

OK, I see someone else posted pictures. Here's a couple of mine:

These were on our MR cruise, a far away shot of the Wonder and an underwater shot. The underwater one is a bit dark because the snorkle area was on the shady side of the rock.

2ufetud.jpg

And a couple from Castaway Cay:

The family beach, and an underwater shot of a fish swiming by.

ndtnxv.jpg

Nice shots but they are a bit hazy... have you tried Photoshop or equivalent to rebalance them? I think they have a good chance of being really good if the haze or fog is lifted.

---Paul

Nice shots but they are a bit hazy... have you tried Photoshop or equivalent to rebalance them? I think they have a good chance of being really good if the haze or fog is lifted.

---Paul

I think it's my scanner. :headache: It's pretty old.

I think that's a compelling argument for a waterproof digital camera ;)

Not so sure about that.

Firstly, if, as PrincessShmoo suggests, it is her scanner that made the photos hazy, that implies the photos and associated negatives are better. If so, then when they are processed a CD can be made direct from the negatives. If the negatives are good, so would the digital version. Not 11x16 blowups, but easily 4x6s.

Second, bang for the buck, $10/camera seems like a much better deal for a once in a blue moon need. $200+ for a backup camera that only gets occasional use seems a little much. $50, I could see it as a back up emergency wet camera, but $200?

I certainly appreciate everyone's input on this... I really do. I like to hear all points of view.

---Paul

Not so sure about that.

Firstly, if, as PrincessShmoo suggests, it is her scanner that made the photos hazy, that implies the photos and associated negatives are better. If so, then when they are processed a CD can be made direct from the negatives. If the negatives are good, so would the digital version. Not 11x16 blowups, but easily 4x6s.

Second, bang for the buck, $10/camera seems like a much better deal for a once in a blue moon need. $200+ for a backup camera that only gets occasional use seems a little much. $50, I could see it as a back up emergency wet camera, but $200?

I certainly appreciate everyone's input on this... I really do. I like to hear all points of view.

---Paul

Yes, the actual pictures are much clearer than what I posted. Especially the ones not underwater. The underwater ones in comparison to the not underwater ones may be a bit hazier, but, I feel, still good pictures.

There are sub $120 options and you get 100s of pictures with digital, higher quality images, less hassles, no development costs, no transfer to cd costs.
Taking cost out of the equation for a moment which is superior?
Then do the math. How many times would you use a digital camera in the next 5-8 years, maybe longer?
How many waterproof portables would you buy and what is total investment would you have in those years and would the pictures be as good?

Lots to think about.

There are sub $120 options and you get 100s of pictures with digital, higher quality images, less hassles, no development costs, no transfer to cd costs.
Then do the math. How many times would you use a digital camera in the next 5-8 years, maybe longer?
How many waterproof portables would you buy and what is total investment would you have in those years and would the pictures be as good?

Lots to think about.

Well, since we've started cruising in 2008 (so 4 years) we've bought 2 waterproof cameras. Only for the specific excursions we were concerned about. At this rate it'll be a number of years before we spend enough to justify a pricier digital. We have a "good" digital camera(actually 2) and a point-and-shoot digital camera that work great for all our other needs.

Lots to think about.

Well, I've been to WDW almost every year since 1986. when I wasn't there, I was either at DL or on the cruise. My last cruise was 2003. Since then, I haven't had a waterproof camera, just a really good digital.

Now that I am taking another cruise, I am interested in a water resistant camera.... but only because of the cruise. Otherwise I really haven't a need for a water resistant camera. So..... based on your calculations I would buy 2 or 3 of them, get them processed to disk and be done. I can get prints from digital for $0.08 each so prints certainly aren't much. If I spent $45 total I would be surprised.

So.... as infrequent water camera user I am convinced..... the waterproof Fuji is the way to go.

---Paul

Well, since we've started cruising in 2008 (so 4 years) we've bought 2 waterproof cameras. Only for the specific excursions we were concerned about. At this rate it'll be a number of years before we spend enough to justify a pricier digital. We have a "good" digital camera(actually 2) and a point-and-shoot digital camera that work great for all our other needs.

:thumbsup2

Would you consider buying a used underwater digital camera on ebay? No, I'm not selling a camera but I have been watching for good used ones for a couple of months now.

I've used the Fujifilm disposable cameras with mixed results AND you never really know which shots you "got" until you get home. I love my "good" digital camera but I just can't justify spending over $100 for a camera that I might not use again for a few years....

Just a thought.....

Would you consider buying a used underwater digital camera on ebay? No, I'm not selling a camera but I have been watching for good used ones for a couple of months now.

I've used the Fujifilm disposable cameras with mixed results AND you never really know which shots you "got" until you get home. I love my "good" digital camera but I just can't justify spending over $100 for a camera that I might not use again for a few years....

Just a thought.....

Buying on ebay is an option, but risky. Unless it is returnable I wouldn't get it. And then there is the issue of the seals.... unless you get it wet, how do you know it works... and if it doesn't, its now trash!

Lots to think about.

As I said in my previous post, I've yet to find a single one of the "waterproof" cameras on amazon that didn't have at least a couple of negative reviews about water leaking in and disabling the camera - sometimes on the first or second use. It does me no good to be on Castaway Cay with a camera that doesn't work. I'd rather take a couple of the disposables and be assured of getting some underwater pics.

And, as others have said, I don't snorkel every couple of weeks.. it's only on cruises. To invest in a camera that will sit in a drawer most of the time (and thus increasing its chances of other gaskets and seals getting dried out and cracking) just doesn't make sense.

I'm sure the digital underwater cameras make sense for some people. That doesn't mean they're the best choice for everyone.

Exactly. The pics I posted are from a photo CD that I loaded onto my computer. Every photo processing place offers a photo CD as an option now though I realize some people prefer paper prints. Especially the scrapbookers. :goodvibes

We take our good camera and put it in an aquapac. I can't post links on here yet, but if you google aquapac, you will find their website. We took our camera snorkeling and to the dolphin encounter on Blue Lagoon Island. We got amazing pictures. I did a lot of research to make sure the aquapac was reliable. I would recommend it to anyone!

You can also find the aquapac group on flickr to see some of the amazing pictures taken while using one of the cases.

Thanks for posting. I found a waterproof case for my iPad. :)

As for the post, I bring two cameras. I like my waterproof camera & when I'm riding Aquaduck, the small light-weight waterproof camera is better for me then having a huge DSLR camera. ;)

I would say to be careful when looking into waterproof cameras. My Olympus Tough has been on 3 Disney cruises, been to the beach & pool hundreds of times & has been great. However, my sister had a Fuji waterproof & it did not get through 2 minutes of snorkeling. Water filled the camera & it took her a while to view the photos she did take. I felt so bad.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter