Camera for the beach/water/pool

What do you use for pictures at the beach/pool/water park?

• Take your good camera and take your chances!

• Buy a cheap second camera that is water resistant just for those ocassions! Please recommend.

• Let the Disney folks take the pictures and not worry the camera issue at all

• Not even think of pictures to take home and do none of the above!

• Another option from what is above... please explain!

Results are only viewable after voting.

psimon

Will travel for turkey legs!
I am sure many of you have a nice camera that takes great pictures.... but you are afraid of it getting damaged at the beach, pool, water park, etc. I'm sort of debating whether to take the "good" camera to those places on the cruise.

What do you? Not take a camera and let the cruise folks take your pictures? Take your "good" camera and take a chance? Buy a cheap water resistant camera for the wet places?

If you do take a cheaper camera for the wet places, I am looking for suggestions.

Many thanks...

Paul

We always take our DSLR camera as well as our waterproof digital camera. That way we can use the nice camera around the ship when we want really good pics and use the waterproof camera for all the point & shoot type of situations that arise, whether we need the waterproof feature or not.

This is the waterproof camera that we have. It takes fantastic pictures outside (both in and out of water) or when inside with REALLY good lighting, but if the lighting is even slightly on the dim side, the pictures aren't quite so perfect with it.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Olympus...mera/2207078.p?id=1218314734563&skuId=2207078

HTHs! :thumbsup2

Both Ash (my co worker/co cruiser) and I use Nikon D80s as our primary cameras. I have a Kodak Playsport for videos, and it is also water resistant to three meters. It works well for both in and out of the water. Not sure if either of us is going to look into a waterproof still camera.

I take 2. I take the good camera for around the ship and on port stops. I take our waterproof Canon D10 (which I LOVE) to the pool and beach.

We always take our DSLR camera as well as our waterproof digital camera. That way we can use the nice camera around the ship when we want really good pics and use the waterproof camera for all the point & shoot type of situations that arise, whether we need the waterproof feature or not.

That is exactly what we do also. DH thinks I crazy to have so many cameras on vacation, but I always like to have a back up just in case.

My second camera isn't waterproof or water resistant, but it's cheap enough that I wouldn't be overly upset if it was ruined by a splash of water or sand or whatever....

I take my DSLR with me everywhere, but I also have a Cannon D10 Waterproof for when we are in the pool or in and area where I don't want to take my DSLR out.

I carry a Nikon D200 SLR with me everywhere I go, and I have a Panasonic Lumix that is water/weather-proof for areas that are wet and I'm afraid might ruin the SLR.

It takes really great pictures in auto mode, and I have to admit it's nice to have and not worry about constantly checking my settings on my SLR!

We take our good camera and put it in an aquapac. I can't post links on here yet, but if you google aquapac, you will find their website. We took our camera snorkeling and to the dolphin encounter on Blue Lagoon Island. We got amazing pictures. I did a lot of research to make sure the aquapac was reliable. I would recommend it to anyone!

You can also find the aquapac group on flickr to see some of the amazing pictures taken while using one of the cases.

For those times we had excursions that involved lots of water (snorkeling, sailing) we've purchased a waterproof camera from WalMart (Fuji).

:cutie:

I have the Sony TX5, around $285. It is such a great camera, it has replaced my good camera for all vacations. It takes great pictures in the water, out the water, whereever. It is freezeproof, shockproof and waterproof. Best purchase I have ever made!!

For those times we had excursions that involved lots of water (snorkeling, sailing) we've purchased a waterproof camera from WalMart (Fuji).

Is that digital or film? If digital, what is it?

thanks...

---Paul in Southern NJ

This is a wonderufl thread. I was just wondering the same thing.

For our trip this fall I think I have decided that I will pack my SLR cameras as well as Sony video camera. As far as a little protable camera I am hopeing to purchase the new Canon D20 that is scheduled to come out at the end of June. If I can't handle the price point, I may just purchase the Canon D10. I'm glad to hear that everyone has had such a positive experience with it. The D20 is supposed to have a CMOS censor like in the SLR cameras & also HD video capabilities. I don't know if I am a huge fan of the HD video as it will only take up more memory, but we will see this summer.

One can never pack too many camers. After all, when your trip is all over, all you have left are the wonderful memories. You have to capture those to treasure for a lifetime.

Canon 5D Mk-iii for the good stuff and a Sony TX10 for the wet stuff.

We take our Nikon D80 DSLR everywhere except to the pool when on the ship and on non-beach excursions.
Anyplace wet or sandy we take the Sony TX10 as it's waterproof, shock proof and dust proof. Wouldn't exactly call this a cheap waterproof camera though. A lot of shots rival the DSLR, and even surpasses it (low light).

What do you think of the photos? Crisp? In focus?

The underwater ones (while snorkeling) seemed a bit fuzzy, but it's hard to tell whether it was due to the cloudyness of the water, or not great picture taking. The ones we had taken onboard our snorkeling boat seemed clear.

I'll dig a few up and post them for you. Tomorrow, since I'll have to scan them in to post.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter