Came across this article from an average guest

For my family nothing was available in DHS and MK during March and July day of. During free dining events places get tough to find.

I just looked right now for today. 5 restaurants in HS with availability at 5pm and fantastic packages available.

September not the busiest time but then again neither is March.

I'm not gonna argue bit I totally disagree I've been watching it most of this year and very little is unavailable day of. Even BOG is frequently open same day.

I don't know if it changes since they charge for no shows but I do know this year most things have been open day of.

So all the folks here on the Disboards posting that they had trouble getting decent reservations are wrong or somehow missing the wide open availability that you see? That would seem rather unlikely?

There is definitely a disconnect. Arguing about it doesn't make it true at every time of year.

So all the folks here on the Disboards posting that they had trouble getting decent reservations are wrong or somehow missing the wide open availability that you see? That would seem rather unlikely?

No but there is a perception being given to people that have never been that you will not get anywhere to eat at WDW if you don't book at midnight at 180 days which just ins't true and it is putting people off going.

I think the frantic we have to plan plan plan you will have an awful holiday of you don't isn't strictly true isn't helpful and is a bit overwhelming for people who haven't been.

No but there is a perception being given to people that have never been that you will not get anywhere to eat at WDW if you don't book at midnight at 180 days which just ins't true and it is putting people off going.

I think the frantic we have to plan plan plan you will have an awful holiday of you don't isn't strictly true isn't helpful and is a bit overwhelming for people who haven't been.

..... so the obvious solution is to post the exact opposite, perhaps leaving people with the mistaken impression that there is lots of same day availability at numerous restaurants just waiting for them to fill?

I am not arguing i am saying I have been watching it all year and it has been true for the most part of this year.
It's funny there's a whole other thread about how stupid people are if they try to go without a plan and expect to do anything. Obviously there is a pretty strong feeling (especially among people here) that the Clark Griswald method of 30 seconds then move on to keep your schedule is the way to go. Sadly Disney has pretty much made this the only way to get to do certain things. Some people win the lottery but most don't so while it's possible someone will get BOG or 7dmt when they log in that morning the odds are against you.

ADR availability depends on a lot of things - and time of year is one of them. Discounts is another. For ex, I would be very hesitant to give anyone the impression that they could take a trip during free dining (whether they had free dining themselves or not) and realistically expect that they would be able to get walk ups at a multitude of table service restaurants. This time of year is very low season for Disney, because of school just starting for so many across the country. March's crowds very much depend on when Easter is. Since Easter is in late March this year, I would expect that crowds will be a bit heavier during the month than they are when Easter falls in late April. It's important to keep a large array of variables in mind. Even in mid December - when it was *empty* at all of the parks, there were no walk ups for Mama Melrose's in DHS. We watched the hostess have to turn some people away while we waited to be seated for our ADR. And that was a few years ago now.

I'm not gonna argue bit I totally disagree I've been watching it most of this year and very little is unavailable day of. Even BOG is frequently open same day.

It is not a mistaken impression

Believing that very little is unavailable "day of" during most of the year sounds suspiciously similar to a mistaken impression. Most of the year covers a lot of ground.

It is not a mistaken impression

Then, as an experiment on your next trip, please refrain from booking CRT, BOG, Ohana's, Chef Mickey's, Le Celier at the max time. Please call the morning of when you would like to dine at these fine establishments and then report back your success rate.

I don't know if it changes since they charge for no shows but I do know this year most things have been open day of.

Does anyone else think this is because people are double-booking at 180 days (for instance, BOG on two different mornings) then refining their schedule and canceling the one they don't need just before the 24–hour deadline so as not to be charged?

If that's the case, it would explain why some people are seeing no availability at 170 days and others are seeing availability on the morning of.

Does anyone else think this is because people are double-booking at 180 days (for instance, BOG on two different mornings) then refining their schedule and canceling the one they don't need just before the 24–hour deadline so as not to be charged?

If that's the case, it would explain why some people are seeing no availability at 170 days and others are seeing availability on the morning of.
I absolutely think that's the case. But it isn't something I'd rely on as a strategy overall.

I think it all depends on your definition of "decent". Some people look at the available options, see nothing they want, and conclude there's nothing available. Other people look at the same options and are all, "hurray!"

I wouldn't say availability is wide open, but if you're flexible enough to eat anywhere and reasonably accommodating about when, guest services can almost always set you up with a same day ADR for a table service meal, regardless of the time of year.

I think it all depends on your definition of "decent". Some people look at the available options, see nothing they want, and conclude there's nothing available. Other people look at the same options and are all, "hurray!"

I wouldn't say availability is wide open, but if you're flexible enough to eat anywhere and reasonably accommodating about when, guest services can almost always set you up with a same day ADR for a table service meal, regardless of the time of year.

Even if you will be required to pay a premium price for parboiled goose gizzards at La Croix du Luptis Bistro, overlooking
the scenic WDW towel and sheet laundry (paid admission required.)

Talk about all, "hurray!"

Last edited:

I agree this is likely a huge piece of the puzzle. I have not done this in the past, but would probably do so now if I was planning a trip more than 60 days out (to build in some flexibility on park days in case I couldn't get the FPs I wanted on our preferred days). I'm surely not the first person considering this.

I also think an issue that's new is the advent of the ADR sniping sites. I think that's changed the calculus of finding cancelled ADRs that come up.

This is exactly what it is. In Disney's rush to take as much of your money as possible they've created two lock in programs that hit at different times and may conflict with each other. Why not hedge your bets with BOG to see when you can get 7dmt or A&E. If you take one BOG and it's not on the day you can get either hot ticket items at MK then where does that leave you. Add in the fact that other companies have realized they can profit off the system and the end result is a major loss for the guest.

Even if you will be required to pay a premium price for parboiled goose gizzards at La Croix du Luptis Bistro, overlooking
the scenic WDW towel and sheet laundry (paid admission required.)

Talk about all, "hurray!"
Don't hype that too much or that will be the next premium dinner package that allows you to get a glimpse of the backstage magic! Throw in a cupcake and it can be yours for the low price of $199 a person.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter