Cam & Howard's Vow Renewal PJ -1/12/09 - WP&WH--p.98: TRIP REPORT BEGINS

My cake topper weighs 2.5lbs... so I'll let you know how it turns out!

Kristen - I can't wait to hear how Disney Bakers make that work out! :goodvibes

-----------------------------------------
As everyone knows, we planned our first meeting with DFTW for this past Tuesday, while we were in WDW for marathon weekend (BTW, Howard did the half marathon on Saturday and the Full marathon on Sunday and is officially “GOOFY” for the second year in a row! :thumbsup2 I am SO PROUD of him! And I earned my second Mickey medal for the full marathon. :goodvibes: )

There is so much to tell about how things went, but let me start by saying that Joe DeMattei is just the kindest, most attentive person you could ever meet. He remembered so many details about who we are, what we are doing, and our preferences. That is why I know it was really hard for him to break what was devastating news to me. But, let me start at the beginning. . . .

Our friend Kathy very kindly invited Jenn to spend Tuesday morning with her at AK, and Howard and I looked forward to our time alone with Joe. So, when we were leaving the villa that morning, I left Jenn some cash and a water bottle and her room key and good wishes. We drove to GF for our meeting, arriving about 20 minutes early. It was freezing cold out, but we still took a few minutes to walk around the grounds a bit and take some pictures. Soon, we headed into Franck’s where we ran into a DISer who we’d met the night before (Lisa) and her DH, who were doing a tasting session for their April VR. Small world! :) I immediately thanked Joe for his wonderful and prompt email communications with me and he said he hoped he wouldn’t disappoint me if he was ever delayed in responding. I told him he could never disappoint me. Later, he remembered he’d said that and apologized because he knew we were disappointed about how the session went. Okay, I’ll get back to that. ;)

We’d no sooner sat down with Joe than my phone rang and Jenn told me we’d forgotten to leave her park ticket. Howard drove back to BCV to pick it up and took it to her at AK. While he was gone, Joe had to break the news to me. . .

GF event space was all booked for the weekend before and week of our VR and it wasn’t looking good for us being able to do anything there other than the VR at the WP at 10 am and photos around GF.

I cannot express how crushed I was. While I guess I’d considered the possibility that we might not like the Whitehall Room and Patio, it never occurred to me that (1) we wouldn’t even have that option; (2) that we wouldn’t be able to do our WISHes dessert party Sunday night at GF; or (3) that there was absolutely NO alternative space at GF for cocktail hour and the reception. Joe and I spent the rest of the time before Howard got back looking at slides of alternative venues, including space at Boardwalk and Yacht Club. I told Joe I really didn’t want to seem unreasonable but that Howard and I had a vision for this event and if we were going to “settle” on the venues, we just really had to re-think whether it was meant to be for 2009. Howard was literally heart-set on the GF and was only willing to consider other venues for my sake and to remain open-minded. I told Joe I thought Howard would be as disappointed as I was.

Howard arrived back by 9:35 and I told Joe he had to break the news to Howard. Howard said later he looked at my face and knew something was really wrong. When Joe told him there was no space at GF, Howard grabbed my hand under the table and squeezed it, either in sympathy or reassurance, I’m not sure. We went to look at the Whitehall Room and Patio, which we LOVED in case it became available. We also saw the space at Boardwalk which seemed “okay” and Yacht Club, which we didn’t like at all. While we were driving around, I remembered to ask Joe about a couple of ideas we had which are likely Wedding Planner issues, but at the very next traffic light, he took the time to make notes. He was also in touch with the sales manager the whole time we were together, shooting emails to her and reading them, trying to get a handle on when the huge convention group would decide whether they needed all of the GF event space. It looked like the earliest Joe would hear anything would be Friday, 1/18, but he definitely did not want us to get our hopes up.

In the car on the way back to Franck’s, Howard said “We had one chance to do it right the first time and didn’t get to do it. This time we aren’t going to settle for anything that isn’t really what we want, and if we have to re-think this or postpone it in order to have our dream event, that’s what we will do.” So, while I was disappointed, I was glad that Howard didn’t think I was being unreasonable and that he felt strongly as well about making our dream vision a reality. I just couldn’t bear the thought of NOT doing our WISHES dessert party to tie into our “All of Our Wishes Have Come True” theme. I also couldn’t bear to think about “working with” the colors or decor of a venue that didn’t work with our color scheme or our tastes. The idea of postponing the VR was unpalatable, but so was spending money to have a reception in a place that could just as well have been the most elegant ballroom in all of the tri-state area or the Swan or Dolphin. (I hope I haven’t offended anyone by saying that. It’s just that we’ve always dreamed of a wedding and reception at the Grand Floridian with those gorgeous grounds and vistas of the MK.) At some point, Joe looked at me and said "I'm really sorry you are disappointed. I can tell you are really upset, and you told me when you first got here that I couldn't disappoint you, and yet, you are. I'm sorry." I give him a lot of credit -- he NEVER tried to talk us into alternative space. He just wanted us to know we had options while we were there and able to look at the space. I told him I am typically the kind of person who can "get over it" and make the best of the circumstances presented, but that I was going to need some time to get my head around something other than what we'd been dreaming of. He seemed to understand and didn't seem upset or like we were wasting his time.

So, when we got back to Franck’s, we didn’t really take things any further. I just couldn't. We told Joe we’d wait to hear from him once he’d heard about the convention, and we’d think about whether we were going forward with a non-GF location.

Whew. .... that was long. Sorry!

Back soon with more, but remember that Walt Disney World is Where Dreams Come True. And if anyone can make a DFTW dream come true, I’m putting my money on Joe!

Okay, back to the saga (I'm sorry it's so long!)

Howard was golfing that afternoon with our friend Kevin so he dropped me off at T&T and went on his way, assuring me that everything would be okay, that we’d wait to hear from Joe about the convention and then decide what we were going to do.

I went to EPCOT to ride Spaceship Earth but was, for the first time ever, depressed at Disneyworld. More than anything, I was upset with myself for being so selfish and closed-minded. I was trying to talk myself into being upbeat and positive that either the space would open up or that we’d plan a lovely event at the Boardwalk space. I had some lunch and heard from Kathy that she and Jenn were willing to join me at EPCOT for the afternoon. I told her what was going on and I was standing in EPCOT crying. UGH! How silly! I told her I NEEDED some retail therapy and wanted to go to World of Disney for Minnie Bride ears so that I could pretend that everything was going to be fine. She and Jenn came to EPCOT and we rode SE together and then went to DTD. First order of business – find Minnie bride ears. I put some on my head and a CM came over and said “Someone’s getting married!” Jenn said “Yep. My Mom is. She’s marrying my Dad. I mean she’s marrying my Dad again. I mean my Mom and my Dad are doing a vow renewal.” LOL!!! The CM said “well, then you need to be pixie-dusted!” She put a shield over my face and went wild with some kind of glitter stuff all over my head and forehead!!!! Right then, my phone rang and I said “Excuse me, I have to get this.” Here is how that call went, essentially:

Me: Hello?
Joe: Hi, Cam, it’s Joe DeMattei from Disney Fairy Tale Weddings.
Me: Hi, Joe. How are you?
Joe: Good, good. How is your day going? Are you and Howard having a nice day?
Me: Well, Howard is golfing and I’m sure he’s having fun. I am at World of Disney shopping for Minnie bride ears on and you caught me just as I put them on.
Joe: Well, good. See, we have a secret camera at that location so that we can see when our brides are trying on Minnie bride ears and we can call them. (Man, does he have a QUICK sense of humor!)
Me: (laughing!) Well, your timing is perfect. The camera obviously works!
Joe: I have what I hope will be good news for you. It looks like that convention group may be pulling out of the GF completely and going to a different resort.
Me: (weak-kneed) Oh, my God! You have got to be joking. You wouldn’t joke with me about that, would you, Joe?
Joe: No, and I’m not certain that is going to happen. It’s a possibility and as soon as I found that out, I debated whether to call you, in case it didn’t work out. But I really wanted you to know I am working on this. And I wanted to give you . . .
Me: “HOPE?” You wanted to give me hope?
Joe: Yes, I wanted you to have hope that everything will work out the way you and Howard want.
Me: Joe, you aren’t going to believe this. As I was trying on bride ears, a cast member pixiedusted me and then my phone rang and it was you. My friend Kathy is standing here taking pictures of me talking to you on the phone and crying. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Joe went on to say that he’d keep me posted and to enjoy the rest of my day.

The tears were just streaming down my face at that point. How silly of me! In the meantime, Kathy ran to find the CM who’d pixiedusted me to let her know it worked! She and her 2 buddies came back and shared my happiness and we even took a picture together for good measure. Her name was Rose (my middle name).

We bought Minnie ears and the Mickey top hat ears, which I am pleased to say both made it back to DE without being crushed! I didn’t get to tell Howard the news until later that evening, but he was thrilled too!

So, then it was just a matter of waiting for final word, but I was definitely feeling more optimistic.

oh man cam! that stinks. pixie dust for some good news tomorrow! stupid conventions!

congrats to both you and howard for finishing the marathon! he did TWO races in one weekend? bless him, i'd still be sleeping!

Joe left a message for me on our last day in WDW -- "Hi, Cam, this is Joe from Disney Weddings. I wanted to let you know that I have the Whitehall Room and Patio reserved for you. I have also reserved Sago Cay Pointe for your dessert party. If you prefer the marina let me know." He went on to wish us safe travels home and said the next thing we'll be doing is looking at creating a room block for our non-DVC friends. He also apologized for throwing a curveball at us at the site inspection (as if it were his fault, silly man!) I am so excited!!!!

And I've saved the BEST news for last. I couldn't mention our fondest WISH earlier in this journal because we hadn't yet had the opportunity to talk to the involved parties in person, but we were able to do that this weekend, and now one of the most important aspects of this event is ironed out.

We wanted to ask our very dear friend Kevin to officiate at the vow renewal. However, he is presently in the U.S.Army, stationed in Iraq, so we couldn't ask him in person before now. Fortunately, he was stateside for a mid-tour R&R and with his wonderful wife Kristen and their family, was in WDW for marathon weekend. We asked Kevin and Kristen to meet us for ice cream at Beaches & Cream Friday night for a quiet opportunity to chat. Other friends ended up coming along, so it wasn't looking like we'd get the opportunity to ask Kevin and Kristen privately. Fortunately, Howard, Kevin & I happened to be in line together at the take-out line surrounded only by strangers and we asked Kevin there. He actually got choked up and said HE was honored to be asked. :cloud9: In fact, we are so blessed by the friendship we share with both of them. They have a very strong faith and their relationship is like ours in so many ways, truly a wonderful partnership. Having Kevin do the vow renewal when he understands what impact our faith has on this union is so important to us. :lovestruc Once we were able to encourage everyone else to leave after dessert, we told Kristen that we'd asked Kevin, and since it would impact on their family's vacation, we were really asking both of them. Kristen seems really excited about being a part of our celebration, and now I feel like the most important details are in place. :cloud9:

OMG!! I am going to be a Disney :bride: !!!!!!

My heart dropped when I first read about you not being able to get to have your VR at the GF!! I am so glad there is a happy ending! I hope to have our VR at the WP and reception at the White Hall room and patio and I will be so disappointed if that doesn't happen. I had tears in my eyes reading how you got that call while trying on the bride ears!! Pixie Dust really does work.;) Oh, and Congrats on your Mickey medal!!

Thank you, Nikki! I really appreciate that everyone here understands and doesnt think I was crazy for being upset.

I am so ready to get on with the planning now! :banana:

cam, i'm so happy that you and howard are going to get the wedding/vr that you really want! i'm so excited for you!

THank you, everyone!
We received confirmation today that our venues are reserved (though we can't sign contracts until May!! :eek: ).

Sunday, January 11, 2009
7:30 - 8:30 Sago Cay Pointe (backup in GF Convention Center)
Dessert Party (Estimating Wishes to be at 8:00 p.m.)
If we go over an hour with the food set-up, the menu will be at a higher per person cost. Right now the space is held until 11:00 just in case WISHES starts later than 8.

Monday, January 12, 2009
6:00 a.m. Magic Kingdom Portrait Session
10:00 - 11:00 Wedding Pavilion - Vow Renewal Ceremony
11:00 - 12:00 Whitehall Patio - Pre-Reception
12:00 - 4:00 Whitehall Room - Reception (could end earlier if we prefer; I'll have to see what the cost impact is of going until 4, instead of 3, besides extending the guest transportation an extra hour)

Did I mention that we LOVED the Whitehall Room and Patio? It was gorgeous! The only problem is that with a dance floor, it will really only seat 40. I am hoping that won't be a problem, but we'll see how that all plays out.

Also, we know that the next step is creating a room block, so hopefully we can do that soon.

Now what? I feel like I need to be doing something. Perhaps the next thing I should be thinking about is a save the date letter for all likely guests, to go out about the same time as Disney sends the save the date cards or even earlier. Very fun prospect! :)

aww...it sounds like everything is coming together for you both. That's so exciting! Do you have anything in mind for the save-the-dates?

Time until Monday, January 12, 2009 at 10:00:00 AM
356 days
8,555 hours
513,344 minutes
30,800,694 seconds

:cloud9: :love: :lovestruc :hug:

Well, thanks to some very generous brides on the wedding favors thread who posted a link to a fabulous wedding favors vendor, we are now the soon-to-be-proud-owners of clear pens w/a "crystal" star at the top and these really cute pearlized white, cut & embossed in pink placecards/favor tags that say "Wishes Do Come True". Perfect for our (as of now) pink & gold "All of Our Wishes Have Come True"-themed VR. :cloud9: I just couldn't resist and my darling, darling DH said he wants me to "enjoy the "H E double toothpicks" out of the planning process". Isn't he the best? :love: I think we'll be seeing all sorts of packages arriving on our doorstep over the next 11 months! :cutie:

47b8df02b3127cceb46bbfdb49d200000046100Ibt3DRs2cMT

47b8df02b3127cceb46bbfc749ce00000025100Ibt3DRs2cMT

I think the pens will look so nice with those tags attached by a gold organza ribbon.

Oh, and I also found these and ordered some. I think they are so beautiful:
47b8df02b3127cceb46bede1c8f100000026100Ibt3DRs2cMT

The tags will be personalized with our names and the VR date.

I bought something else today! :cutie: I just couldn't help myself. :rolleyes1

I saw the cutest little white paper chairs where the bottom of the chair (from the seat to the "floor") is a box. There is a vellum sheet that gets inserted into the chair back that you can write the guest name & table number on. They were so pretty and I thought it would be so much fun to fill them with white disney mints & to wrap the box with alternating pink & gold bows that would tie on the "seat" of the chair. Wouldn't that be so pretty? We can insert the vellum name cards last so that we can have the placecard holders set out on the table, alternating pink & gold ribbon and THEN insert the namecards in alphabetical order.

So, it looks like the wine bottle stoppers are probably for welcome bags, pens with shooting star/"wishes do come true" tags will be for the Dessert Party guests, and these little chair/mint box placecards will be for the reception. I really dont' want to do any kind of favor that people will have to pack since many may leave for the airport from the reception. I figured this is something they can eat and dispose of, if they'd like. And I saw where someone was able to find those mints in bulk, so it shouldn't cost much to do 40 little boxes of them.

I am particularly excited that I am going to start receiving these items and can start to organize them and get SOMETHING done while I am waiting to do everything else. I tend to be a bit :yay: and a bit edgy if I'm not making progress toward a goal.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter