Calling all teachers! I need advice please

Status
Not open for further replies.
Businesses need to stop treating their employees like impetuous children and instead treat them with respect and as adults.

The pandemic showed very clearly that if you are sick you should stay home. You staying home is best way to reduce the spread of whatever it is you have.

Yet companies quickly fell back into their old ways of punishing people for calling in sick or making the whole process an ordeal.

Mandatory sick days should be legislated but the business lobby is way to rich and powerful to allow such legislation to pass and take the power away from the employer.
Well, we have mandatory sick days here in California. But like at my daughter's work, with most folks still having ability to work remotely, why would you burn up sick time when you can work remotely while sick? They had a covid outbreak the week before Christmas when they were already short staffed due to vacations so they had to allow remote work and the fewest bodies in the building, because if it spread, they would have been up the creek with nobody working.
California's additional mandatory additional 10 days covid sick time law expired on December 31st, 2022. One of my daughter's coworkers tested positive for covid on December 30th, but because he tested positive before the law expired, they have to give him the full 10 days with pay without taking any of his sick time away. And he tested positive well past the expected 5 days.

Businesses need to stop treating their employees like impetuous children and instead treat them with respect and as adults.

The pandemic showed very clearly that if you are sick you should stay home. You staying home is best way to reduce the spread of whatever it is you have.

Yet companies quickly fell back into their old ways of punishing people for calling in sick or making the whole process an ordeal.

Mandatory sick days should be legislated but the business lobby is way to rich and powerful to allow such legislation to pass and take the power away from the employer.
Would those be unpaid mandatory sick days
Or who would pay the employees that have used all there sick time….

Actually, most employers are moving away from “sick time” altogether due to the problems is causes and there are just giving PTO whatever you want to use it for.

You would think so. From these boards, however, I have learned, a lot of lesson planning is far less structured that I would assume it is, and to be honest, shocked it isn't. I mean, I remember in public school, if a teacher was out sick, the substitute just taught from the lesson plan book. Of course, I never knew how far in advance those lesson plan books were assembled for.
My kids were in one of the 180 or so Nobel Learning Community schools (private, for profit schools) and the teacher was provided with a lesson plan, day by day, for the entire year. Every student in the same grade was learning the same thing, on the same day in all 180ish campuses. But they marketed heavily to parents who had jobs that had frequent location transfers. Their children left their old school on Friday, moved 3,000 miles away, and Monday started at a new campus with the exact same lesson they would have gotten that day if they hadn't moved.

Honestly, while I can see the appeal for frequent movers, I never liked a scripted curriculum myself. I think it hampers a teacher's flexibility to take off on tangents based on his/her individual students' interests and questions. - And following those moments is the best way I know to foster curiosity and lifelong learning! Having to stick to the schedule / not being able to push something off until tomorrow means a lot of missed opportunities.

Honestly, while I can see the appeal for frequent movers, I never liked a scripted curriculum myself. I think it hampers a teacher's flexibility to take off on tangents based on his/her individual students' interests and questions. - And following those moments is the best way I know to foster curiosity and lifelong learning! Having to stick to the schedule / not being able to push something off until tomorrow means a lot of missed opportunities.
That reminds me of the whole "teach to test" thing. I thing we've loosened up a bit on that especially with the pandemic but I know exactly what you mean by being too rigid in lesson planning. There's got to be a core lesson going on and you sure don't want the entire class to be taken up by something other than the lesson for too many days but some really interesting things can pop up in a natural setting if there's more freedom to be flexible. Plus sometimes a class as a whole is needing additional time on a concept and other times they don't.

I grew up on the more rigid school schedule but I do remember there being times where some flexing happened. I distinctly remember in grade school learning about ancient Egypt and the whole class took to learning the game Senet more avidly than the lesson planned for but the teacher allowed us an extra day in class where half the day was just spent playing that game with each other in a more tournament style.

Not aware of that being an issue. But their school day is an hour longer than the public schools, so they have some time to get off track.

Aren‘t most lesson plans at this point “canned” online. I know my son graduated two years ago, but most if not all of his classes were available digitally in one form or another.
Nope!

There are some math programs that are "canned" online lessons, but those are meant to supplement a lesson, not replace.

Students learn differently and at different paces therefore lessons should take into account the students the lessons are planned for.

In the district I taught at before I retired, we basically did individual lesson plans for every student. A math class may have 5 or 6 groups of students working on different concepts. A Lit class will have different reading groups within the class period, all with different plans. My DH still teaches History in the district. He will have some students who are typical 8th grade aged, but in different levels of his subject. In one class he may have some students working on standards they should have mastered in 6th grade and a student two desks away working on assignments for 11th grade History class.

Because the students are all working on different standards, they do get their assignments from the program the district created about 10 years ago. There is still face-to-face lessons each period with the whole group then the smaller groups, and concluding with whole group again, but students do their assignments either in the in-house program, text books with worksheets, or other various ways a student can show knowledge.

The only programs that I can think of that are 100% planned are the various IB programs.

Not aware of that being an issue. But their school day is an hour longer than the public schools, so they have some time to get off track.
Of course, if they "get off track" and don't finish lesson A on Monday, do they have enough information to start lesson B on Tuesday? Or do you finish A on Tuesday, try to get through B, and have B carry over to Wednesday...

I get the idea, and I thought that was what "Common Core" was supposed to help solve. Granted, it wasn't down to the day, but to make sure what is taught by the end of the year at each grade level.

Of course, if they "get off track" and don't finish lesson A on Monday, do they have enough information to start lesson B on Tuesday? Or do you finish A on Tuesday, try to get through B, and have B carry over to Wednesday...

I get the idea, and I thought that was what "Common Core" was supposed to help solve. Granted, it wasn't down to the day, but to make sure what is taught by the end of the year at each grade level.
They stay on track so not an issue. Common core didn't come around until 2010, my kids were in/or out of College by then.

Really, 30 years ago I would go to the mimeograph machine and print copies of the next weeks work….. I would get the masters from a big three ring binders for each class…..

I personally can’t believe that the informations is not more readily available in 2023…..

not saying you are wrong, just say’n I don’t believe we have gone backwards

Teachers don't teach off worksheets so much anymore. The plans are more varied than that. They use multiple types of media to teach lessons and do a lot more group work in the classroom to help with understanding of concepts. My kids are in high school now, but I haven't seen a "worksheet" since like kindergarten.

Teachers don't teach off worksheets so much anymore. The plans are more varied than that. They use multiple types of media to teach lessons and do a lot more group work in the classroom to help with understanding of concepts. My kids are in high school now, but I haven't seen a "worksheet" since like kindergarten.
Sorry, but i help all three of my step kids do their homework from canned worksheets. grade 7,5,2

spelling work follows the same format each week, same form, same requirement, different words….. 100 percent rote learning…. Nothing individualized about.

That reminds me of the whole "teach to test" thing. I thing we've loosened up a bit on that especially with the pandemic but I know exactly what you mean by being too rigid in lesson planning. There's got to be a core lesson going on and you sure don't want the entire class to be taken up by something other than the lesson for too many days but some really interesting things can pop up in a natural setting if there's more freedom to be flexible. Plus sometimes a class as a whole is needing additional time on a concept and other times they don't.

I grew up on the more rigid school schedule but I do remember there being times where some flexing happened. I distinctly remember in grade school learning about ancient Egypt and the whole class took to learning the game Senet more avidly than the lesson planned for but the teacher allowed us an extra day in class where half the day was just spent playing that game with each other in a more tournament style.
Some classes are purely project based. One example is an outdoor education class where student survey an outdoor area. They collect data about all the plants and animals over a semester, and then compile all the data. They also collect water samples and test for water quality over time.

Another course had students creating actual movies. They had to do everything from writing the script, to sound editing, acting, costuming, etc. They later did another film project that was animated, using classic cartooning techniques, as many classic WDW and Bugs Bunny cartoons use. They could also use stop motion technique, as Claymation movies use.

A main purpose of both courses was teaching the students how to work cooperatively in a team. There is a timeline for the project steps to be completed, but that can be adjusted as necessary.

I mean, I remember in public school, if a teacher was out sick, the substitute just taught from the lesson plan book.
My wife and daughter have to have a set of substitute lessons ready. It is not what would be taught if they were in the classroom but instead an alternate lesson plan that can be used as a sort of baby sitting day.

You can't have lessons planned out very far in advance because the pacing must be tied to the progress of the individual class. If you made out lesson plans more than a few days in advance you run the risk of covering material the kids are not ready for or covering the material so slowly they are bored to death.

Sorry, but i help all three of my step kids do their homework from canned worksheets. grade 7,5,2

spelling work follows the same format each week, same form, same requirement, different words….. 100 percent rote learning…. Nothing individualized about.

You are helping your kids with homework. You aren't there to see what they do in class. I very much doubt they sit there and do worksheets for 6 hours a day. We are talking about the missed work when a kid is gone for several days. It's much more than doing a couple of worksheets.

I will also point out, quality of education varies drastically around this country. What you are describing is not what homework looked like for my kids, at all. It was not ever just rote learning. Kids here are expected to do all the rote memorization on their own time. The worksheets sent home for homework had actual problems to solve and vocabulary words to look up.

You are helping your kids with homework. You aren't there to see what they do in class. I very much doubt they sit there and do worksheets for 6 hours a day. We are talking about the missed work when a kid is gone for several days. It's much more than doing a couple of worksheets.

I will also point out, quality of education varies drastically around this country. What you are describing is not what homework looked like for my kids, at all. It was not ever just rote learning. Kids here are expected to do all the rote memorization on their own time. The worksheets sent home for homework had actual problems to solve and vocabulary words to look up.
This is true, I don’t see the when when they are handed the reprinted canned paperwork in the class. That having been said, I do see it when it comes home graded….. Somi can’t prove what was handed to them in class but I can prove what they came home with after the teacher graded it….

and when we go away the teachers put the class work work sheets into the kids baskets to be completed when they return….. some label class work, some label home work….

Our November trip is how I learned based 10 math….. what a waste of time that was…. Should have just taught my step daughter to play cribbage ….. it would at-least have been a life skill she could use someday.

Massachusetts teaches to pass the MCAS…..
‘Btw looking up vocabulary word and reciting them and there meaning IS Rote learning….

Some classes are purely project based. One example is an outdoor education class where student survey an outdoor area. They collect data about all the plants and animals over a semester, and then compile all the data. They also collect water samples and test for water quality over time.

Another course had students creating actual movies. They had to do everything from writing the script, to sound editing, acting, costuming, etc. They later did another film project that was animated, using classic cartooning techniques, as many classic WDW and Bugs Bunny cartoons use. They could also use stop motion technique, as Claymation movies use.

A main purpose of both courses was teaching the students how to work cooperatively in a team. There is a timeline for the project steps to be completed, but that can be adjusted as necessary.
What grades are they doing all this in? That sounds like HS to me, but that's based on *MY* education from 30+ years ago.

How far in advance do you like to be notified of a student absence? I have a 3rd and 6th grader if that helps. Almost all of the 6th graders stuff is done on his Ipad and probably 75% of the 3rd graders work is as well if that influences your answer. They will be out 3 days at the end of this month and a week at the end of March, but I will make them do all the school work while we are gone. I'm friends with one of the 6th grade teachers at the school and she said by the end of March they are just reviewing concepts for state testing, not learning new things so I'm not really worried about them missing out on in person instruction. I just want to be considerate when speaking to them about the schoolwork for those days and recognize that their time is valuable and I don't want to throw it at them 2 days prior and expect them to get stuff ready in a rush. But now with everything on google classrooms or whatever, I don't lnow if its more or less difficult for them.
Sorry this thread has veered so far off-topic.

Since she is your friend, I'd start there and do it soon. If she is not able to provide materials, like if the absence would be considered unexcused, she could also discuss that with you. If so, you'd have time to consider your options and maybe discuss them with your children.

What grades are they doing all this in? That sounds like HS to me, but that's based on *MY* education from 30+ years ago.
Those two specific examples were both from middle school, but the project-based learning started in elementary school.

An example of an elementary level project was having students read a biography, then work with a professional artist to each create a painting depicting what they felt was important about that person. (Walt Disney's face maybe, and/or characters and/or images of Disneyland, and/or a train.)

Another project involved setting up an aquarium/terrarium combo and watching it over time. Each group made one, then set them up around the classroom so they got differing amounts of light.

In this day and age, electronic cheating is SO easy when classic worksheets are assigned. Projects are one way to discourage that.

With options like Photomath, cheating is easy if math is just worksheets. Kids just take a photo w/their phone and the program solves it step by step. Photomath is just one of many options.

I totally forgot about all of those group projects and movie creations. My kids also went to a stream in elementary where they they tested water levels and did a wildlife count. The group activities drove me a bit crazy because of the organization involved but it was good training for university where so much of my kid's curriculum now, is group-based

As soon as we know we tell the teacher. I told my son's he would be missing the first 2 days after spring break back in November because he was talking to her about me running the Boston marathon. IT turns out she will be at the marathon too and he will have a sub those 2 days anyway.

Last edited:
The bolded is the key. I personally don't like taking kids out of school for vacation. If someone wants to, go ahead, but simply accept whatever consequences there are. Don't make the argument that going on vacation is "educational" and should be allowed. LIFE is "educational".
No horse in the race, as I don't have kids and I'm not a teacher. But the very exclusive prep school I attended would disagree with you. Kids were regularly pulled for travel, which could be as long as a month's safari in Africa. Not to mention ALL the school-sponsored travel opportunities throughout the year, each of which was a week or two at a time. They considered travel to be a vital part of education. And the professor for the Harvard course I took entitled "Saving Our Schools" strongly believed that the only reason travel isn't usually excused in public schools is that funding is tied to butts in seats.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter