Calling all Princesses! (2014 Princess half marathon board)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh boy! I hadn't thought of that aspect either. Girl drama drives me crazy!!! Well, I'm running this alone, ill be at the race retreat alone and I don't have a "clique" or am part of a Facebook group. And i am mainly doing this for the medal and so i can go to disney on vacation! So hopefully I can avoid some drama stuff too.

Have you ever run wine and dine? Might be an interesting change of pace for you. It's so fun!

Just wanted to say hi as I'm a fellow Pittsburgher! What part of town are you in? We're in the South Hills. Very excited about my first Disney race, but getting frustrated with this weather! I don't ever remember it being this cold/snowy so early in the year - really screwing up my training schedule :headache:

Just wanted to say hi as I'm a fellow Pittsburgher! What part of town are you in? We're in the South Hills. Very excited about my first Disney race, but getting frustrated with this weather! I don't ever remember it being this cold/snowy so early in the year - really screwing up my training schedule :headache:

hi! :thumbsup2
I'm in the west suburbs area... near the airport. And yes, I'm totally frustrated with the weather too. I would not mind running in cold temps, or even on flat snow-covered roads, but HILLS + ICE = treadmill.... I asked santa for some "YakTrax" for my shoes for Christmas, so maybe then I can at least go out on the trail. Even the warmer days (35+ degrees) it seems to rain. yuck!

Disney races are AWESOME! You're going to have a blast!

I'm definitely a lone runner-- for one thing, I'm much too slow to run with anyone else! I'm also pretty much of an introvert, although I'm surface friendly. I'm a little nervous because I'm going down alone; these are my first rD races-- I'm doing all three. And also my first 10k and half, although I'm up to 9 miles now for my "long" run.

I'm just nervous about not knowing what to do or where to go, being in the wrong place or, of course, looking like an idiot lol.

And about staying at Pop--boy, I got blasted for that on another thread! But we're DVC owners(out of points) and the values are a completely new experience for me.

How can you even get onto Facebook groups or other groups to get to know people?

Looks like I will possibly running all 3 by myself too. I don't know if DH really wants to go with me now so then the kids can't go.

If you look like an idiot out there you won't be alone!! I will be right there with you! :rotfl2:
This is my first 1/2 and some days I feel like I have no business being out there because I am sooo clueless about running. I know a little about races but always from a spectators point of view watching my boys run.

Don't know how you did that. :worship::worship: I still remember my kidney stone...20 years ago...no way I could have run, the pain was so bad it made me physically ill..don't want to be too graphic. And a couple months before I passed it they put me in the hospital to monitor to see if I had gone into early labor and I said NO this is much worse. Glad you finished and hope you pass that thing before the Princess or better yet the New Year.

It's funny, my left arch was hurting really bad and I just concentrated on that pain instead of my back, as weird as that sounds. Again sounds weird but it was like 38 and drizzly so I was really cold and I kind of went numb! Never been so thankful to be so cold! This is my third bout with stones, and man these things suck....

I am a 44 y/o new runner who started training in June. I ran a 10K at the end of September, averaging about 12.5 min/mile. I have not been running the past few weeks, as the weather has been very cold/snowy and I have not been feeling well. I just had surgery Friday 12/13. Had an intestinal blockage and needed a small bowel resection. I had 5 inches removed and half of my c-section scar was opened. I am entered in the Glass Slipper Challenge. Obviously, I am not going to be able to train for a few weeks. I may only have a month to train. I may have to power walk most of the race - is this do-able? Any advice/suggestions? Thanks!

I am a 44 y/o new runner who started training in June. I ran a 10K at the end of September, averaging about 12.5 min/mile. I have not been running the past few weeks, as the weather has been very cold/snowy and I have not been feeling well. I just had surgery Friday 12/13. Had an intestinal blockage and needed a small bowel resection. I had 5 inches removed and half of my c-section scar was opened. I am entered in the Glass Slipper Challenge. Obviously, I am not going to be able to train for a few weeks. I may only have a month to train. I may have to power walk most of the race - is this do-able? Any advice/suggestions? Thanks!

congratulations on starting up and your 10k! 12.5 m/m for a newbie is great.

were you able to submit your 10k for proof of time? if so, you should not be in the last corral, and thus have some wiggle room with maintaining the 16 m/m requirement.

rest, as you need to, and pick up slowly when you can. there's nothing wrong with power walking if you're able to sustain it. be safe and know your limits.

Could someone explain to me how it works for the 16 mm. I submitted a time of 1:17:32 for my 10K. I was a very new runner and my time is a lot faster now. I keep reading about these balloon ladies. Do we just need to stay ahead of them? Do they start after the last corral? How do you know if you are too slow? As you can tell, I'm super nervous about running a half. Thanks!

Could someone explain to me how it works for the 16 mm. I submitted a time of 1:17:32 for my 10K. I was a very new runner and my time is a lot faster now. I keep reading about these balloon ladies. Do we just need to stay ahead of them? Do they start after the last corral? How do you know if you are too slow? As you can tell, I'm super nervous about running a half. Thanks!

The ballon ladies are last to cross the start line...behind the last corral, after the last runner. Anyone starting right in front of the ballon ladies will need to keep up a16mm pace, but if you start in an earlier corral then you gain a cushion. An "a" corral start could start an hour before the last corral....that will remain to be seen as I understand there will be more corrals this year.

congratulations on starting up and your 10k! 12.5 m/m for a newbie is great.

were you able to submit your 10k for proof of time? if so, you should not be in the last corral, and thus have some wiggle room with maintaining the 16 m/m requirement.

rest, as you need to, and pick up slowly when you can. there's nothing wrong with power walking if you're able to sustain it. be safe and know your limits.

Yes, I did submit my time in October and RunDisney confirmed it. I just checked and my pace was 12min 13 sec/mile. Thanks for the advice! I guess I need to just stay ahead of the balloon ladies. Anyone know how corral placement is assigned?

Yes, I did submit my time in October and RunDisney confirmed it. I just checked and my pace was 12min 13 sec/mile. Thanks for the advice! I guess I need to just stay ahead of the balloon ladies. Anyone know how corral placement is assigned?

You should have NO problem staying well ahead of the Balloon Ladies. Think of it this way: even if you started the race right next to them, by 6 miles you'd be 12 minutes ahead of them if you maintained even a 14:00/mile pace.

I think we've got a better idea of how PHM corrals will work now that corrals for the WDW Half are out. They haven't posted a full spectrum of corresponding times, but I can tell you that my proof of time was a 1:16:23 10K and I'm in J for the WDW Half. Generally speaking, PHM is a slower race overall, so I wouldn't be surprised if the same proof of time corresponds to an H or I for that one.

hi! :thumbsup2
I'm in the west suburbs area... near the airport. And yes, I'm totally frustrated with the weather too. I would not mind running in cold temps, or even on flat snow-covered roads, but HILLS + ICE = treadmill.... I asked santa for some "YakTrax" for my shoes for Christmas, so maybe then I can at least go out on the trail. Even the warmer days (35+ degrees) it seems to rain. yuck!

Disney races are AWESOME! You're going to have a blast!

Cool, my husband grew up in Kennedy Twp.

Yep, I was snowed out again today. I fell on ice about 5 years ago and broke my kneecap - I've been very tentative about running on snowy, or even wet, roads ever since. Never heard of YakTrax - if Santa comes through, let us know how you like them :)

I have limited access to an indoor track, so I've been using that - 8 laps is a mile, so it gets a bit boring, but it's better than nothing! Treadmills and I don't really get along :rolleyes1

I love my YakTrax-- they kept me running outside through a typical (read snowy) Thanksgiving in Michigan and through the two snow storms we've had so far in New Jersey! I really don't notice them on my feet until snow gets caught in the coils. I think they do slow me down a little though.

Question for you ladies- what do you find the best way to wear your hair while running? I've got a long pony tail and I get sick of it stuck to the back of my neck while I'm running. I have a hard time getting it to stay in a bun because the weight plus the bouncing of running pulls it out. Thoughts? Tips? Tricks?

Question for you ladies- what do you find the best way to wear your hair while running? I've got a long pony tail and I get sick of it stuck to the back of my neck while I'm running. I have a hard time getting it to stay in a bun because the weight plus the bouncing of running pulls it out. Thoughts? Tips? Tricks?

I don't know how long your hair is, mine is a little past shoulder length. During the warmer months (or anything not super cold, basically!) I have it in a ponytail, but I also use a headband (I use one I got at Lucy with silicone dots on it to keep it in place, but I know everyone has their favorite headband).

The hat I bought for winter running has an opening at the back so I can still put a ponytail through it, but most of the time I don't bother with it. I can use the extra insulation of my hair on my neck, plus if it's cold enough for a hat, I'm either wearing a turtleneck or using a neck gaiter, so it wouldn't stick then anyway.

I have also had problems getting a bun to stay in!

Maybe put it in a high ponytail, braid it, then tuck the tail in the high hair band. So you have a loop. Not sure if that would bounce enough to annoy you but that's what I did when it was longer. Now it's just short enough to skim my collar when it's in a high ponytail.

I always wear a hat while running - put the ponytail through the back so it is out of the way and flyaways don't get in my face, keeps the sun off my face, and keeps the sweat out of my eyes.

I have an Adidas hat that is sweat-wicking; it was like $10 from running warehouse.

i do two braided pigtails when racing, but for training runs i usually make a high ponytail, secure it, then twist the tail into a bun and put another elastic on it. sometimes adding extra bobby pins.

I know exactly what you mean! I have long hair, and I just wrap the elastic around it twice like I'm putting it in a pony tail, but then on the third wrap around, I don't pull my hair all the way through. It makes sort of a loop in the back and then the ends just fall down around the loop to one side. It stays really secure and avoids the pony tail bouncing and hitting the back of my neck. I know this is a really horrible description, so I'll think about how to describe it better! Then I wear a headband when it's warm and an earwarmer and/or hat when it's cold.

I know exactly what you mean! I have long hair, and I just wrap the elastic around it twice like I'm putting it in a pony tail, but then on the third wrap around, I don't pull my hair all the way through. It makes sort of a loop in the back and then the ends just fall down around the loop to one side. It stays really secure and avoids the pony tail bouncing and hitting the back of my neck. I know this is a really horrible description, so I'll think about how to describe it better! Then I wear a headband when it's warm and an earwarmer and/or hat when it's cold.

I know exactly what you mean! Makes sense to me! I wear my hair this way too, only I have lots of layers, so I have to add a headband and clips.

Hey fellow Princesses! I have a question for those using the Galloway training plan. I'm currently doing a 30/30 run/walk ratio. I'd like to do the Magic Mile to get a good estimate of how I'll do during the Half, but I'm confused - for the one mile hard run, am I forgetting my 30/30 split and just going for an all-out run? Or incorporating the run/walk split and just going as fast as I can in the run section? I know this is probably much simpler than I'm thinking, but I'd appreciate the advice! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter