Calling all Princesses! (2014 Princess half marathon board)

Status
Not open for further replies.
:rotfl: Have to laugh because that's exactly how I got sucked back in, too! I was firmly one-and-done with PHM last Feb. :rolleyes:

2013 was your first Princess?
It had the best shirt, but the worst expo and hottest, most HUMID weather. The amount of people, runners and spectators, was too much for me. I'm going to do all three races. :confused3

I really must learn to never say "I am not doing that again." I said that after my first kid, I have four. I said that after my first (2012) marathon and now have done another this year. Any on many more occasions...I just need to stop saying never again.

:rotfl: Have to laugh because that's exactly how I got sucked back in, too! I was firmly one-and-done with PHM last Feb. :rolleyes:

It had the best shirt, but the worst expo and hottest, most HUMID weather. The amount of people, runners and spectators, was too much for me. I'm going to do all three races. :confused3

I really must learn to never say "I am not doing that again." I said that after my first kid, I have four. I said that after my first (2012) marathon and now have done another this year. Any on many more occasions...I just need to stop saying never again.

::yes::

It had the best shirt, but the worst expo and hottest, most HUMID weather.
LOVE the shirt, totally agree on the expo situation, but... the weather was absolutely ideal for me! :duck: It was a warm winter down here and I was in no way acclimated to cold; I lived in fear of temps like in 2010. And dry air kills my lungs, so yeah - I was a very happy Princess, lol!

The crowds and drama, though... I'll admit that I swore off ALL female-centric races after PHM this year, and was close to swearing off rD in general. It was all too much for me. But I think I've got a better handle on how to avoid the silly, melodramatic stuff and make my race weekend work for me this time. :thumbsup2

I'll admit that I swore off ALL female-centric races after PHM this year, and was close to swearing off rD in general. It was all too much for me. But I think I've got a better handle on how to avoid the silly, melodramatic stuff and make my race weekend work for me this time. :thumbsup2

Ok this caught my interest and makes me a little nervous. What type of negative and dramatic things happen at this race? All of the other halfs I've run (not at Disney) have been really happy and supportive atmospheres and I'm hoping this would be the same! So any tips to avoid the bad stuff would be appreciated :)

Ok this caught my interest and makes me a little nervous. What type of negative and dramatic things happen at this race? All of the other halfs I've run (not at Disney) have been really happy and supportive atmospheres and I'm hoping this would be the same! So any tips to avoid the bad stuff would be appreciated :)

Just "girl stuff" that I'm particularly sensitive to and irritated by, lol! Snarkiness and competitiveness in running groups, Facebook pages, some threads here, clique-y stuff pre- and post-race. Added to the rD merchandise feeding frenzy that was the expo (which is NOT the norm; things went terribly awry because they moved it to a much smaller space at CSR), it just set a really negative atmosphere for me. I'm avoiding the drama and focusing on ME this year, so I expect a very different experience. ;)

No discounts for Princess. RunDisney seems to be phasing all these discounts out since the races have all become so popular/well-subscribed.

It seems as though even Disney isn't clear about this either. When we were considering registering I called to see what sort of discounts were available. I called the Run Disney line and spoke to two different people before someone said no discount this year. They transferred me to the regular Disney reservation line and I spoke to two different people before being transferred back to the Run Disney line because they insisted there was a discount. After about 40 minutes on the phone and speaking to 4-5 different people I was finally told for sure, no discount.

Just "girl stuff" that I'm particularly sensitive to and irritated by, lol! Snarkiness and competitiveness in running groups, Facebook pages, some threads here, clique-y stuff pre- and post-race. Added to the rD merchandise feeding frenzy that was the expo (which is NOT the norm; things went terribly awry because they moved it to a much smaller space at CSR), it just set a really negative atmosphere for me. I'm avoiding the drama and focusing on ME this year, so I expect a very different experience. ;)

This catches my interest too- hadn't thought of this sort of aspect to a female-centric race!

What is an average time spent at the expo, and is it best to get there early on the first day?

PrincessV said:

Oh boy! I hadn't thought of that aspect either. Girl drama drives me crazy!!! Well, I'm running this alone, ill be at the race retreat alone and I don't have a "clique" or am part of a Facebook group. And i am mainly doing this for the medal and so i can go to disney on vacation! So hopefully I can avoid some drama stuff too.

Have you ever run wine and dine? Might be an interesting change of pace for you. It's so fun!

I hope people don't get too potentially stressed by "girl drama". As an introvert, and "lone runner" type, I totally understand that there might be an intimidation/irritation factor to some of the race build-up and experience. But please don't let that put you off. I have found at the Disney races that I have done that the difference between "drama" and "fun" can sometimes be as simple as saying hello to new people. Because once you get to know someone, you can share the experience.

It was not easy for me to walk up to a group of strangers at my first Disney race, but once I did, I met some truly nice people. So when Princess rolls around, please come and say hello at the pre-race gathering, or on race day. It will make a difference.

Maura

I hope people don't get too potentially stressed by "girl drama". As an introvert, and "lone runner" type, I totally understand that there might be an intimidation/irritation factor to some of the race build-up and experience. But please don't let that put you off. I have found at the Disney races that I have done that the difference between "drama" and "fun" can sometimes be as simple as saying hello to new people. Because once you get to know someone, you can share the experience.

It was not easy for me to walk up to a group of strangers at my first Disney race, but once I did, I met some truly nice people. So when Princess rolls around, please come and say hello at the pre-race gathering, or on race day. It will make a difference.

Maura

I'm definitely a lone runner-- for one thing, I'm much too slow to run with anyone else! I'm also pretty much of an introvert, although I'm surface friendly. I'm a little nervous because I'm going down alone; these are my first rD races-- I'm doing all three. And also my first 10k and half, although I'm up to 9 miles now for my "long" run.

I'm just nervous about not knowing what to do or where to go, being in the wrong place or, of course, looking like an idiot lol.

And about staying at Pop--boy, I got blasted for that on another thread! But we're DVC owners(out of points) and the values are a completely new experience for me.

How can you even get onto Facebook groups or other groups to get to know people?

appleorchard said:
I'm definitely a lone runner-- for one thing, I'm much too slow to run with anyone else! I'm also pretty much of an introvert, although I'm surface friendly. I'm a little nervous because I'm going down alone; these are my first rD races-- I'm doing all three. And also my first 10k and half, although I'm up to 9 miles now for my "long" run.

I'm just nervous about not knowing what to do or where to go, being in the wrong place or, of course, looking like an idiot lol.

And about staying at Pop--boy, I got blasted for that on another thread! But we're DVC owners(out of points) and the values are a completely new experience for me.

How can you even get onto Facebook groups or other groups to get to know people?

Why would u get blasted for staying at pop?

RunDisney is very much like all things Disney, friendly people random talking on buses and in line. You will be ok. Everything is well marked. But it is understandable to be nervous. About the race and being alone. Actually that's one of the reasons I love running, because I can do it alone, and on my own terms. It's a very individual sport, everyone does it just a little different. But at the same time, I've found very friendly people in the running community.

Just enjoy the surreal feeling of running in the magical world of Disney and the amazement of what you've trained to accomplish.....

There is a WISH FB group...."Disboards WISH Team". Open to all WISHers. If you PM me your email I will send an invite. It just happens to be setup as a closed group, but that is just an administrative thing.

And ask away re: any questions. There are no dumb ones. All of us were new runners at one point and needed help.

I actually have grown fond of Pop as a place to stay when money is an issue (although when isn't it at Disney!) During marathon weekend, the WISH meet-up has been at Pop for the last few years. I'm a Princess newbie, so don't know where the meet-up has been.

We ( my running friend and I) will be staying at Pop. It's just us for a 3 night trip no reason to spend the extra money that we can use for eating :)

Fellow cold weather runners - what do you do about hydrating on cold runs? I needed to get 8 miles in this weekend. I'm in Massachusetts, so we are getting a big storm tonight. Tomorrow was a bad option, expecting a foot of snow. Went today, 11 degrees, -2 with the windchill. It wasn't fun, but I got it done. My biggest problem? My fluids froze by mile 4, about 40 minutes in. I am a very heavy sweater, so anything over 4 miles I use a sports drink. It was a lovely slushy by the time I got home.

Anyone have any hints or suggestions?

Fellow cold weather runners - what do you do about hydrating on cold runs? I needed to get 8 miles in this weekend. I'm in Massachusetts, so we are getting a big storm tonight. Tomorrow was a bad option, expecting a foot of snow. Went today, 11 degrees, -2 with the windchill. It wasn't fun, but I got it done. My biggest problem? My fluids froze by mile 4, about 40 minutes in. I am a very heavy sweater, so anything over 4 miles I use a sports drink. It was a lovely slushy by the time I got home. Anyone have any hints or suggestions?

You can use hot water to mix your sports drink just before you go out on cold days. If you buy a premixed sports drink, you can pour it into a Pyrex measuring cup and heat it a microwave like you would a cup of tea or coffee. Then pour it into your fuel bottles and head out.

I also wear one of my DH's windbreakers as my top layer - that way I can wear my fuel belt under that layer, it is still easy to get to it and it has a little bit of protection from the wind. I find this works really well for me.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

Please, don't anyone take my comments about drama deter you! Like I said, much of what I dealt with was specific to *my* circumstances. In retrospect, I'd have been much happier sticking to what I know is best for me, rather than trying to be part of a group-thing.

I do think the takeaway is worth sharing though - make your race your own. If you need lots of quiet, alone time before and after - make that happen. If you thrive on social interaction and excitement all through the weekend, indulge and enjoy. I learned my lesson and I think I'll strike a much better balance for myself this time around :)

Who has volunteered for the Princess Half? I am running all three races so I can't help then, but I was hoping to do the expo. My flight arrives at noon Thursday and could possibly do the the 2:30-7:30 time or the afternoon slot on Friday or Saturday, but I fear being on my feet all afternoon and then having to run the following day. Has anyone had any experience on what one does when "working" the expo? I could just cheer at the finish line of the three races after I run.
Please share your volunteer experience. TIA.

Just finished my 15th half marathon today! Which just amazes me because less then 2 years ago I had never really ran before. Just wanted to share that I've been trying to pass a kidney stone for the last couple days so was unsure what today would bring. I had a cruddy race, cruddy finishing time, walked way more then normal....but it still amazes me that Bad *** feeling you get, no matter how slow you are, when you cross that finish line. It might not have been a PR, but everytime I look at that medal I will remember my Kidney Stone Half Marathon!! Just remember, some races are good and some aren't, but they all are part of the entire experience.... Hope all of your training is going well!

Dig Deep!

Just finished my 15th half marathon today! Which just amazes me because less then 2 years ago I had never really ran before. Just wanted to share that I've been trying to pass a kidney stone for the last couple days so was unsure what today would bring. I had a cruddy race, cruddy finishing time, walked way more then normal....but it still amazes me that Bad *** feeling you get, no matter how slow you are, when you cross that finish line. It might not have been a PR, but everytime I look at that medal I will remember my Kidney Stone Half Marathon!! Just remember, some races are good and some aren't, but they all are part of the entire experience.... Hope all of your training is going well!

Dig Deep!

Don't know how you did that. :worship::worship:
I still remember my kidney stone...20 years ago...no way I could have run, the pain was so bad it made me physically ill..don't want to be too graphic. And a couple months before I passed it they put me in the hospital to monitor to see if I had gone into early labor and I said NO this is much worse.

Glad you finished and hope you pass that thing before the Princess or better yet the New Year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter