Calling all Princesses! (2014 Princess half marathon board)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Although the calendar says Spring...it's still very much winter here! I've been using an elliptical to condition until the weather breaks as my treadmill is now officially dead!

Am I getting the kind of conditioning I need with an elliptical? I've been holding off on investing in a new treadmill....

AimKo said:
Awesome!! Thanks for the info ladies!! :yay:

I am signing up for a local 10k in May so I can see how I'm doing...hopefully it will stop snowing in WNY before then!!

What is Disney's pace time for completion? I saw someone post that they had run 13.1 in 3:30, but that wasnt good enough for Disney? Is that right?...I just have this recurring thought of being swept up by the sweeps van for being too slow!! :headache:

Aimee

That is the same nightmare I've had before each race. I finished each time. The excitement kept me going till the end!

joanzie72 said:
I am really excited to do this race. Now that my running friend bailed out on me and decided to go in the fall instead, I will be running solo unless DH can convince his brother to come down with us so he can tend to the kiddos.

Anyone for WI/MN running? How about anyone going to Fargo,ND to do the 1/2 in May? Running that one solo too. :sad: hubby is doing the full marathon.

I've ran solo for two years and have such a blast!

joan4mickey: Thank You. :)

I'm trying to do some plans..

When is it best time to book hotel? It's gonna be quite many people there on the PHM weekend.

This will be also ours first visit to the USA, so.. I'm thinking about buying flights to NY and maybe renting a car. Would You recommend that, or is it cheaper/better idea to fly from NY to Orlando?

It will be ours birthday present (mine on March and husbend on April). So, hopeing some luxus but maybe it will be food related. Hotels looks kind of expensive.. some of them.

What do You think about Dining Plans? And.. Do You book only the room or package?

Thanks advance.

tuikkumuikku said:
joan4mickey: Thank You. :)

I'm trying to do some plans..

When is it best time to book hotel? It's gonna be quite many people there on the PHM weekend.

This will be also ours first visit to the USA, so.. I'm thinking about buying flights to NY and maybe renting a car. Would You recommend that, or is it cheaper/better idea to fly from NY to Orlando?

It will be ours birthday present (mine on March and husbend on April). So, hopeing some luxus but maybe it will be food related. Hotels looks kind of expensive.. some of them.

What do You think about Dining Plans? And.. Do You book only the room or package?

Thanks advance.

You might want to check out the cost to rent a car versus getting a flight to Orlando. Also keep in mind that's a long drive from NY to Orlando and then another long drive back to NY. Personally, I would fly. You might want to try Southwest or Jet Blue

I just did a Run for Luck today. I did a walk/run. I didn't follow any strict intervals. I just listened to my body and the hills. I walked up the hills and ran down them. My pace for 4 miles was 14.21. I was excited because this was my fastest pace so far.

It's a mix of reasons. Some people are under trained. Sure they run, but you can look through those blogs and see they've never gotten past 6-8 miles. Some think "Oh, it won't be that much worse." or have a list of excuses as to why they couldn't train more. I trained to 10 miles and I'll tell you, while I finished in pretty decent time, I still feel I was under trained. The last 2 miles or so were killer, I was mentally and physically drained. Weather conditions didn't help.
But that's certainly not the case for everyone who didn't finish. Many got injured, or came in injured. Things can happen right before the race, when it's too late to defer. I got hurt about 3-4 weeks out. I was in major pain during the half, I took quite a bit of OTC pain killers before and during the race(which was a huge no-no) and I was visibly limping across the finish. My injury wasn't serious though. For others it can be. Injuries also happen on the course. Plus, the weather was pretty rough and I saw many people along the way, overheated and on the ground, with the medics. This can happen especially because Feb is still winter, and people coming from up north are used to training in very cold weather, so their body isn't ready for that shock.
But to answer your question, 300+ days is more than enough time to train. But even if you give yourself time to train, you actually have to train. I saw people along the way saying they couldn't train because they worked, or had kids, or got sick, or life got in the way. Well I have 3 kids(who got sick this winter, as did I), I have a job, I run my house, I deal with life, and I made the decision to train like I should, so I succeeded. It just depends what kind of mental barriers you allow yourself to be stopped by.

Well said! I think there is always a reason why one can not go out. While I think there are legit reasons. (I missed a training day because I got food poisoning or SOMETHING and spend a day recovering from 12 hours of :sick: but I got back out the NEXT day) I am talking... snow...rain...heat...work...kids... You have to fit it in. Nike's slogan "just do it" ::yes:: exactly!! And believe me... I think we all wake in the morning and think... "seriously? I am going out now... in this? Maybe I could skip" DONT LISTEN TO THAT VOICE! It seems to haunt me (that voice) Even today, I was doing a 10k race... was near the finish by about 1/2 a mile and runkeeper had my pace below my goal. The last huge hill was before me and that stupid voice filled my brain "its okay if you have to walk up that hill.. you are under your goal pace" Well, good thing I didn't listen because runkeeper was off and my actual pace was more than I had hoped for. I came in just OVER my goal, not under :sad2:

I just did a Run for Luck today. I did a walk/run. I didn't follow any strict intervals. I just listened to my body and the hills. I walked up the hills and ran down them. My pace for 4 miles was 14.21. I was excited because this was my fastest pace so far.

:cool1: good job! :thumbsup2 Just think of where you will be by the time the phm comes around! AWESOME!!

I have a question for all you pro runners...how to you not get winded. I ran 5k yesterday and by the time I was finished I was so winded, but my legs felt like I could keep going. Please tell me the trick! Am I pushing too hard, not taking enough walk breaks? It's frustrating.

Thanks

I have a question for all you pro runners...how to you not get winded. I ran 5k yesterday and by the time I was finished I was so winded, but my legs felt like I could keep going. Please tell me the trick! Am I pushing too hard, not taking enough walk breaks? It's frustrating.

Thanks

Keep running! The more you run, or do other cardio work outs, the more you will boost your endurance. Add a day of cross-training or cardio machines to your regiment.

Ran a St Patrick's 10k yesterday and finished in 59:38 with a pace of 9:36 per a mile. Very pleased to have broken the hour mark, especially on a hilly course!

Ran a St Patrick's 10k yesterday and finished in 59:38 with a pace of 9:36 per a mile. Very pleased to have broken the hour mark, especially on a hilly course!

:thumbsup2 Good job! I must admit, I am a fair bit jealous. I too ran a 10k yesterday. I had the goal of breaking an hour mark. I had runkeeper going and I was just paying attention to what it had as my average pace so I thought I was good. (it had me at 9:14) Well, I finished with a time of 1:00:00. Ever so close to breaking that hour mark. I didn't even make it a second past! (the chip co. rep told me there was :18 nano second... so not exactly an hour.)

Overall... that little bit doesn't matter too much. Well, except there is a race I was thinking of registering for...and in order to be placed into a corral (instead of being at the very back) you have to submit a pace of 9:40 or better. I must say I laugh at this though... I cant imagine what would happen if Disney said nothing except a 9:40 or better would count. :rotfl:

Thanks

Yep, keep running. Also check your breathing while running.

:thumbsup2 Good job! I must admit, I am a fair bit jealous. I too ran a 10k yesterday. I had the goal of breaking an hour mark. I had runkeeper going and I was just paying attention to what it had as my average pace so I thought I was good. (it had me at 9:14) Well, I finished with a time of 1:00:00. Ever so close to breaking that hour mark. I didn't even make it a second past! (the chip co. rep told me there was :18 nano second... so not exactly an hour.)

Overall... that little bit doesn't matter too much. Well, except there is a race I was thinking of registering for...and in order to be placed into a corral (instead of being at the very back) you have to submit a pace of 9:40 or better. I must say I laugh at this though... I cant imagine what would happen if Disney said nothing except a 9:40 or better would count. :rotfl:

Breaking even is still a great feat! Either way, I'd say we're both in a great place if almost a year out from the Disney race we're running an hour/less. I'd be happy to submit that time, but I figure I'll have plenty of time to improve!

I'm sure they wouldn't be getting 25,000 runners for some of their races! Boy, that'd make a mess of the last corral, wouldn't it?!

Am I getting the kind of conditioning I need with an elliptical? I've been holding off on investing in a new treadmill....

I think the elliptical will definitely be helping with your cardio endurance, but since it's not a weight-bearing exercise it won't be equal to training by running, if that makes sense :scratchin

But you did say you're just doing this while it's winter, so of course any training will be MUCH better than hibernating! :thumbsup2 I'm sure when you are able to run in the nicer weather, you'll notice an improvement since you've been getting in some cardio over the winter, I just wouldn't expect to see one-to-one results (ie. if you can "run" 5miles on the elliptical, you might not be able to run 5miles outdoors)

I just got back from my best ever training run and had to share!! :goodvibes It's not super fantastic compared to the goal of 13.1miles but it IS super fantastic for me personally because I am very new to running and I've been doing well with intervals but unable to run without walking breaks....until now!
A few days ago, I bought a couple of long sleeve Lulu running shirts and tonight it was -8C outside so --perfect opportunity to test out my new gear!! The trail I've been training on is 4km and tonight for the first time ever I was able to run the whole thing with NO walking intervals!!! :cheer2::cheer2: Before tonight the farthest I had run was about 1km without walk breaks, and tonight all of a sudden I just had this amazing running energy out of nowhere!! The BEST part is I wasn't even tired by the end!! I could have kept running except it got reeeeally dark and most of the trail goes through a forest = SCARY in the dark!!! :scared:
Anyway I did not freeze to death (thank you new shirt!) and I am feeling one step closer to being a princess! AND my dad and I went to see Disney on Ice this morning so I'm thinking there might have been some pixie dust helping me run tonight!pixiedust:

I just got back from my best ever training run and had to share!! :goodvibes It's not super fantastic compared to the goal of 13.1miles but it IS super fantastic for me personally because I am very new to running and I've been doing well with intervals but unable to run without walking breaks....until now!
A few days ago, I bought a couple of long sleeve Lulu running shirts and tonight it was -8C outside so --perfect opportunity to test out my new gear!! The trail I've been training on is 4km and tonight for the first time ever I was able to run the whole thing with NO walking intervals!!! :cheer2::cheer2: Before tonight the farthest I had run was about 1km without walk breaks, and tonight all of a sudden I just had this amazing running energy out of nowhere!! The BEST part is I wasn't even tired by the end!! I could have kept running except it got reeeeally dark and most of the trail goes through a forest = SCARY in the dark!!! :scared:
Anyway I did not freeze to death (thank you new shirt!) and I am feeling one step closer to being a princess! AND my dad and I went to see Disney on Ice this morning so I'm thinking there might have been some pixie dust helping me run tonight!pixiedust:

That's AWESOME!

Almost three miles without stopping! Woohoo! Congrats!

Thanks

PHM 2013 was my first race and during training kept getting winded and thought just push through it...well...didn't get better, went to Doc and found out I have exercise induced asthma....so try and work through it but if it doesn't get better check with our Doc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter