California Dreamin' - I'm back & TR started - UPDATED 14TH OCT

Day 4 - September 4th - Disney's California Adventure

My eyes opened to the sparkling ring beside me (as I couldn't wear it, putting it on the bedside table like an allnament (bad spelling i know) had to do :pgig) i still couldn't believe I had it and how gorgeous it was. I looked at the time and it had just gone 10 abit of a lay in compaired to yesterdays early morning but we both still could of slept in for longer, i forgot to mention this before but the beds here had to be one of the comfiest I have ever slept in, in my life. We seriously had difficulty dragging ourselves ourt of them, but hey we were in California I wasn't going to be letting us waste our time sleeping.
So we soon got up and were ready to go get some breakfast around 11.30, we decided to head to Denny's today and had a all American grand slam for Darren and a build your own slam for me plus 2 cokes, were we finished about 12 and payed the $20 bill and then headed back to the hotel for a few relxing hours by the poll before we headed to Disney's California Adventure.
We headed up just before 3 to freshen up and grab everything we needed, after a shower i noticed my chest was quite red and blotchy I was hoping it was just the ehat and would go down once it started to cool down and as i was out of the sun for a bit so didn't bother wasting time going to the chemist to get anything for it. Once ready we made our way downstairs to the front entrance of the hotel and caught the 3.30 shuttle to the parks, the shuttles from the Sheraton is a private one and just runs between them and the park and was really good. Always on time, it left the hotel on the hour and half past the hour and left the parks 15 & 45mins past the hour and the last one from the parks was a hour and half after park closing.
We arrived at the parks quickly and once through bag search we had to take our pictures by one or two of the big California letters outside the park

Holiday2009197.jpg

Holiday2009198.jpg

Holiday2009195.jpg

Photos taken we headed into the park, where there was a photopass lady taken pictures with the bridge in the background, a couple of pictures taken and we carried on towards Monsters Inc, about a 5 minute que so we headed on that. Once done we spotted a smoothie place so decided to grab a couple of drinks Mango smoothie for Darren & pineapple juice for me, it was just gone 4pm by now and I really wanted to watch the 4.15 showing of Alladin as it was the last one for the day so we headed to the theatre for that, with a few pictures along the way and a quick meeting with Goofy.

Holiday2009200.jpg

Holiday2009202.jpg

Holiday2009204.jpg

We got to the theatre and were told no food or drinks allowed, so drinks quickly consummed we headed in and it was packed. We looked around for 2 seats but couldn't find any, a CM pointed us to 2 free seats near the front so we took those and settled for the show. I didn't really know what to expect with this show but I read it was fantastic and that the Gennie was hilarious and as I love the Alladin film i really wanted to see it. Well I was not dissapointed, it really was a great show and the Genie had us laughing most of the way through. I reallyw ish we had a camcorder with us so we could have recorded it, as i'd love to watch it back at home. So if you are headed to Disneyland don't miss it.

Holiday2009206.jpg

Holiday2009208.jpg

Once the show was finished and we were out of the theatre, we had a slow walk around the park and headed to Paradise pier, and grab a couple of fastpasses for Soarin' along the way. I was quite surprised with the crowd levels, it was now the friday evening of Labor day weekend and I really expected bigger crowds than this.

Holiday2009216.jpg

Holiday2009219.jpg

Holiday2009222.jpg

Once at Paradise pier we sat down for an Ice cream in the shade and Darren noticed my blotchy chest was now very much a bad rash and very red, it was really starting to itch but hey i'm in Disneyland and i'm not going to worry about it now i'll worry and get something for it later when we leave, while eating our Ice creams we watched California Screamin coaster a few times and I was certain as soon as I finished I was going to join the que for that. Knowing there was NO chance of Darren joining me, i headed to the entrance for a single rider ticket so I didn't have to wait in the 20minute que. I was on the ride within about 5 minutes and have to say I loved it, was deffiently one of my favourite rides of the whole trip. We walked down to see how long the que was for Toy story but it was 35 minutes and neither of us love queing so we decided to skip that and we headed to Bugs Land.

Holiday2009225.jpg

Holiday2009228.jpg

Holiday2009222.jpg

Holiday2009229.jpg

Holiday2009230.jpg

Holiday2009231.jpg

Holiday2009247.jpg

Holiday2009249.jpg

We did a few of the rides there and watched 'It's tough to be a bug' which was really good fun and worth seeing. It was gone 6.30pm by now and we hadn't had anything but our ice creams since breakfast so both were feeling rather hungry so headed to Pilots grill for some dinner. Cheeseburger meal & coke for Darren & a BBQ chicken burger meal & coke for me and we shared a side of onion rings which came to $28 both satisfied and stuffed we headed towards the Animation academy, there was about a 10minute wait till the next draw a character was starting so we decided to wait for that, and once in sat down with our pencil & paper we were told we'd be drawing Grumpy, this is a really fun thing to do and we had a laugh trying our best and not being half as good as the CM who's drawing was wonderful. Once done we decided that we had a laugh in there so waited for the next one to start which was Pluto, this gave us even more laughs as mine looked like he hadn't eaten in months and Darrens had two extra cheeks :pgig:

Holiday2009261.jpg

Holiday2009259.jpg

Holiday2009266.jpg

My rash which i'm sure you can notice in my pictures, was really aggrivating me now and was extremely itchy, I have a scar near my colar bone where the neck ends and meets your chest and that was really red and the rash was bad around it which made the scar extremely itchy and so difficult not to itch, determind not to let it ruin my night and force me to leave DCA early i carried on trying my best to ignore it. We had another walk around taking more pictures now it was dark and all the lights were on before calling it a night and leaving.

Holiday2009254.jpg

Holiday2009272.jpg

Holiday2009273.jpg

Holiday2009275.jpg

Holiday2009279.jpg

Just before leaving the Fireworks had started so we stood and watched them for a bit before looking in a couple of shops, where I bought 2 pins and we left.

Holiday2009281.jpg

Holiday2009282.jpg

Holiday2009285.jpg

As we walked out the gates I remember we had forgot to use our FP's for Soarin' which iw as gutted about as I loved that ride in WDW but we couldn't be bothered to head back in just to go on it, plus i wanted to go back to the hotel to get the car keys so we could hopefully go find a chemist that was open.
We caught the 10.45 shuttle back to the hotel and i asked at reception if there was a chemist still open anywhere and he gave me details of a Target about 5-10mins down the road that would be open, so I headed back to the room to grab the car keys & my glasses and we popped to the Target. Being the type of person that can't go in a shop just for what I need I grabbed some antihistamine tablets & cream, plus we picked up some more drinks & snacks, hairspray and $40 later we left and headed back to the hotel. We were tired again and tablets taken, cream on me we headed to bed and fell asleep watching tv about 12.

Day 5 - September 5th

We woke up around 9.30/1o today and i quickly jumped out of bed to the mirror to check on my awful red rash thankfully the tablets & cream seem to have done the trick and it had gone down loads, it was still slightly noticeable but nowhere near as bad as last night.
We got ready and left the hotel around 11.30am to go get some breakfast, i suggested we go back to Mimi's but this time make sure we sit inside so of we headed in the car and was quite surprised at how busy the car park was and i was hoping that wasn't a sign of Mimi's being crowded, once inside we were told it would be about a 30 minute wait. Darren was hungry so we decided to leave it and head somewhere else, he said he quite fancied a burger (oh there's a surprise, Darren is somewhat a burger addict and usually 90% of the time orders a burger when we go somewhere) i was trying to think where we could go and remembered I had read about Red Robin and that they apprently do nice burgers so i drove us there. No wait there so thankfully seated straight away and 2 cokes ordered, which were horrible and tasted extremely watery but i have a thing about complain at resturants, i just wont do it as im worried they will do something nasty to my food :erm: meals ordered Cheeseburger for Darren and BBQ chicken wrap with fries for me thankfully the food was much nicer than the drink, infact my wrap was very tasty. Food eaten and $30 bill payed, we left and headed off to Santa Monica

Holiday2009295.jpg

The drive was pretty easy and took just over an hour, we parked up in one of the car parks along the beach, payed the $7 all day parking charge and headed straight onto the beach. We had our prioritys right and headed straight for emptyish spot to place our towels for some more sunbathing, the beach was really busy today but i guess it was a saturday & Labor day weekend. We were soaking up the rays for about an hour before Darren got bored :rolleyes: and we both fancied a drink, so we picked up our stuff and had a walk along the beach and to get a drink. Spotting swings along the way, the child in me couldn't resist a play on them :laughing:

Holiday2009300.jpg

Holiday2009302.jpg

Holiday2009303.jpg

Play on the swings over, we got a drink and also brought a ball (we needed something to keep Darren happy & to stop him moaning it's boring just laying there) we carried on walking past the pier and went to sit on the beach again

Holiday2009305.jpg

Holiday2009314.jpg

Holiday2009313.jpg

After a few hours, a few games with the ball & some more rays from the sun soaked up it was about 5/5.30pm so we decided to walk back to the car to put some of the stuff in there so the bag wasn't so heavy and just walk along the beach and go have a look on the pier.

Holiday2009320.jpg

Holiday2009325.jpg

Holiday2009326.jpg

A couple of magnets purcased, another drink or two later and it was gone 7 so we decided we'd head back as I wanted to go to Tony Roma's for some yummy ribs for dinner. We, well I because I was the one driving and trying to navigate & read the map got us a bit lost on our way out of Santa Monica and ended up on the PCH as I knew this would still get us back i decided to carry on driving back that way and it was starting to get really dark so not very easy to see the road signs/names and somehow we ended up all the way down in Hunnington beach oops :rolleyes1 seems I had driven quite a bit past our turning and it seemed to have taken forever just to get there, it was gone 9 by now oops I hope we make it back in time for those ribs but it wasn't looking likely. Heading back up PCH i took one of the turnings and anyway to cut a long detailed route of where we drove short we got lost again :nonono::blush: and didn't get back to Anaheim till about 10.30pm haha well that was a journey back to say the least. Both too tired to bother getting showered and changed to go to Tony Roma's we just decided to grab something quick Darren picked KFC which don't do beans or fries which we found very strange espically the fries bit, but what came next really threw us and gave us a laugh apparently at KFC in America with your chicken you choose between mash & gravy and wait for it.......Macceroni cheese haha macceroni cheese now i've never heard of that before. I don't particually like KFC so opted for a Subway food purchased we headed back to the hotel to tuck in as Darren pulled he's tray of food out he noticed something strange sitting on the chicken and i commented how it looked like a scone, to recieve a sarcastic laugh & look from Darren and for him to recieve an 'I told you so' fromme, yes seriously sitting there with mash & chicken was a scone!!

Holiday2009331.jpg

Dinner ate and we tucked ourselves into bed to watch some tv before falling to sleep about 1am

Day 6 - September 6th- our last day in Anaheim

Another relaxing morning where we didn't have to jump out of bed at the crack of dawn to get ready to go somewhere, which is a good thing considering neither of us are really morning people and love our lay in's (not that getting up around 10/11 is too much of a lay in) After our long adventure last night trying to get back from Santa Monica and it ending up being a bit of a late night we didn't wake up till about 10.30-11 today as were weren't heading to Disneyland till much later in the day we decided we'd just get something to eat at the hotel this afternoon and spend some time by the pool. I headed down to put some washing on about 11.30 and couldn't believe how busier it seemed considering the pool was pratically empty the last few days. Darren soon came down and we spent an hour or so by the pool before we went to the Deli shop to get a bugette, drink & crisps each. Food purchased we decided to eat it at the tables by the pool, we didn't go back up to the room to get ready untill around 5pm. We got ready and headed out around 6.30pm for our last visit to Disneyland & in Anaheim.

Holiday2009343.jpg

Holiday2009344.jpg

Holiday2009345.jpg

Holiday2009348.jpg

Just as we got into the park and walked up Main street the Celebrate parade was going on

Holiday2009350.jpg

Holiday2009353.jpg

I didn't really make many notes on what we done, so im trying to remember from the photos so this may be mostly pictures than exactly what we done in Disneyland.

I remember we walked around Tomorrowland for a bit, having a look in the shops. The crowds were really heavy tonight, I was really quite surprised considering how nice it had been thursday. It made DL seem much smaller with so many people everywhere and the ride wait times were alot longer, about 40 minutes for the main rides.

Holiday2009352.jpg

Holiday2009354.jpg

Holiday2009356.jpg

Holiday2009357.jpg

We headed back towards the castle, taking a few pictures and then headed to the Mark Twain riverboat which sadly had closed by now, i was disapointed as I wanted to go on this and hadn't got around to it thursday so was hoping we'd be able to do it today. We decided to in Tarzans treehouse for a laugh, once at the top my legs were killing me gawd that was quite a climb up those stairs.

Holiday2009358.jpg

Holiday2009360.jpg

Holiday2009367.jpg

Holiday2009369.jpg

We pretty much just walked around the park tonight enjoy being there (well i was) taking photos, getting photopass pictures taken. I spotted a 'Just engaged' pin in a cabinet in a shop by the castle so asked if they had any, but they didn't and sent me over to the BBB shop where the lady kindly gave me 2.

Holiday2009376.jpg

Holiday2009386.jpg

Holiday2009388.jpg

We were getting peckish by now and headed to a pizza place in Tomorrowland, a pepperoni slice for Darren & BBQ chicken slice for me plus 2 cokes which come to under $20 satisfied we headed back out looking in the shops and went to find a spot to watch the fireworks.

Holiday2009394.jpg

Holiday2009395.jpg

Holiday2009416.jpg

It was about 10 minutes untill they were about to start and we managed to find somewhere to stand at the top of Main street almost infront of the castle but to the left more. The fireworks with the music was beautiful and we managed to spot Tinkerbell flying over the castle.

Holiday2009423.jpg

Holiday2009422.jpg

Holiday2009428.jpg

Holiday2009429.jpg

Holiday2009431.jpg

Holiday2009433.jpg

After they fisnished we let the crowd spread out before popping into a couple of shops & making a few purchases then decided to leave for dinner at Tony Roma's just after 10.30. Unfortunately i just don't think we were meant to eat there, we had the trouble of not getting back in time yesterday and now just as we got to the doors they were closing :( we decided to try Red Robin who were also closed, gawd we weren't having luck today. Deciding that most restaurants will probably all be closed or closing we just decided to head back tot he hotel and order room service. I can't remember what either of us order now but it was pretty good, we spent the night trying to get our bits together and pack up ready for our drive to Vegas tomorrow and probably headed to bed to watch tv around 12.30/1am and alarm set for 9am.

Here's a picture of my gorgeous ring

Photo017.jpg

Unfortunately it isn't a great pic as it was taken on my phone, when i get the ring (again, which is hopefully this week or next) I'll post a better one :)

Here's a picture of my gorgeous ring

Photo017.jpg

Unfortunately it isn't a great pic as it was taken on my phone, when i get the ring (again, which is hopefully this week or next) I'll post a better one :)

It's beautiful.:goodvibes

Congratulations!!! What a sweet way to propose! You must have been so surprised. Gorgeous ring!

You didn't wait for Toy Story???? :scared1: You missed out girl!!!

I just found your trip report. It looks like you guys had an amazing time! Your ring is beautiful, congratulations.

In regards to the scone with the chicken, We call that a biscuit, and IMO they are generally softer and crumblier than a scone. It is a very common side dish with Fried chicken in the US. They go amazingly well with butter or honey.

Macaroni and Cheese is another very common side dish for fried chicken stateside. All this talk about KFC makes me want to hop in the car and go get some. I might just do that.

You guys are such a cute couple and take amazing pictures together. I wish you all the happiness in the world

In regards to the scone with the chicken, We call that a biscuit, and IMO they are generally softer and crumblier than a scone. It is a very common side dish with Fried chicken in the US. They go amazingly well with butter or honey.

Macaroni and Cheese is another very common side dish for fried chicken stateside. All this talk about KFC makes me want to hop in the car and go get some. I might just do that.

Yup, that's normal over here. I'd be thrown off if I went somewhere and they didn't give you mashed & gravy as a side with your chicken! And I loooove KFC mac & cheese!

I think Popeye's chicken is better.

Agreed.

I just found your trip report. It looks like you guys had an amazing time! Your ring is beautiful, congratulations.

You guys are such a cute couple and take amazing pictures together. I wish you all the happiness in the world

aww thank you for the lovely comments.
Normally I prefer everything over in the states but found the KFC thing a bit too different espcially that chips (fries) weren't even an option :eek:

If you went to get some KFC, hope you enjoyed it :)

Congratulations!!! What a sweet way to propose! You must have been so surprised. Gorgeous ring!

You didn't wait for Toy Story???? :scared1: You missed out girl!!!

Thank you :)

I know, we are just terrible when it comes to queing espcially Darren he can't stand it espcially when it looks so long like the Toy stopry one did

Day 7 - 7th September - We arrive in Las vegas

Part 1

I woke up around 8.30 and was really thirsty that i just couldn't ignore it, plus the alarm was due to go off at 9am so there was no point in going back to sleep, arghh these early mornings were really starting to take their toll i could have done with another extra few hours this morning but knowing we had to check out by 11am and had a 4 hour drive ahead i didn't really have any choice but to get up.
I was soon showered and made Darren a coffee and told him to move he's bum out the bed and into the shower.
Makeup on, hair sorted, i put our last bits in the cases and as Darren wasn't ready went downstairs to use the computer at about 10.30am to check some emails, facebook & say hello to everyone here :)
Around 11am i went back upstairs to check Darren was ready and found him still in the bathroom messing with he's hair, gawd who ever said woman take longer than men has never met him before and I have to do makeup, blow dry hair, straighten it and yet he still manages to take longer :rolleyes: finally about 11.15 he was ready and we headed down to the car park to load the bags into the car, then walked to reception to check out. We was really sad to be leaving the Sheraton, we had such a lovely stay here and glad I picked this hotel plus i didn't want to leave Anaheim. It will always have a special place in our hearts now as we will always remember it for getting engaged, we loved our 6 nights here and wish we could stay longer but were still very excited to be heading to Vegas.

We ready and in our seats, we went to the petrol garage to fill the tank up which cost $15 :scared1: as we already had half left. I hate how just how cheaply they can fill the car up in the US. My car at home costs about £35-£40 (about $70) for a full tank and this car would probably take $30 to fill :mad:

Holiday2009435.jpg

Finally completely set for the drive we headed off and waved goodbye to Anaheim, we were soon onto the CA 57, CA 61 and then the I 15 the drive was proving very easy and thankfully there wasn't much traffic.

Holiday2009439.jpg

Holiday2009443.jpg

Holiday2009459.jpg

We stopped about 1.30pm as we both needed to go toilet, were getting hungry and i wanted a little break from driving, Burger king spotted we headed into there. We couldn't believe the heat when we got out the car, as we had the air con on for pretty much the entire drive so far i think we had just forgot just how hot it was outside :rolleyes1
Fed and watered we were back on our way by about 2pm

Holiday2009461.jpg

Holiday2009463.jpg

We finally reached Nevada, and stupid pants missed the Welcome to Nevada sign I had been wanting a picture, i love pictures of signs lol. And it wasn't long till we spotted Vegas strip in the distance infact it was about 3pm woohoo Vegas was insight at least, thank gawd cause i was get fed up of driving and the sun beaming on me through the car.

Holiday2009478.jpg

Holiday2009481.jpg

I had been told to carry on driving up the I 15 to the nearest junction to the Mirage as the traffic is bad on the strip but as soon as I spotted it, I just couldn't resist getting off the highway and driving up the strip plus i was desperate to get my picture by the sign :)
Sign spotted, we parked up and joined the small que to get our pictures done.

Holiday2009482.jpg

Holiday2009483.jpg

Holiday2009485.jpg

Part 2
We were soon done and headed back in the car and up the strip to The Mirage.

Holiday2009487.jpg

Holiday2009489.jpg

We parked up and headed to check in (minus our bags, we thought we'd come back and get them after check in) I had previously emailed the hotel to request a room on a high floor and ask for a fridge as i needed medication to be stored in one. Check in went ok but apparently the only King room left was on the 9th floor and sadly not facing the strip, umm never mind we'll take it as I prefer the big king beds rather than 2 queens and was told the fridge would be brought up shortley. Room key for room 90104 in hand we headed back to the car to get our stuff and then the big adventure through the casinos looking for the lifts (gawd i never thought i'd get lost in a hotel just looking for the lifts up the the rooms). Eventually lifts found, and room found we were in and dumped our bags and had a quick peek around the room, checked out the bathroom, the view as you do and I also was surprised to see the fridge already there, wow now thats good service it had arrived before we even did.

Holiday2009490.jpg

Holiday2009491.jpg

Holiday2009494.jpg

Mess made of the room already, i had already decided we were going to head to the premium outlets as it was the last day we had the car and shopping trips are much easier with a car. So toilet, drinks & a quick freshen up and we were back out the door and into the car on our way to the outlets. First purchases made in Calvin Klein - a bag for me, jeans & 2 tshirts for Darren and i couldn't believe it only $100 spent in there wow i don't think i've ever felt like we had got such bargins before :laughing: next into DKNY and a jacket for Darren, gawd he was doing much better at the shopping than me this isn't right I need to spend some money so I dragged him to the Cosmetic company shop where I knew I could easily spend, my beloved MAC spotted and a few things picked up and my purse $120 lighter we left there and had a look in more shops including a sweet shop where we managed to spend almost $30 haha i know terrible isn't it our teeth will rot. Getting hungry and happy with the shopping we had, we called it an evening and heady back to the hotel to drop our bags off, drop the car off, freshen up and go out to dinner.

Holiday2009502.jpg

Holiday2009506.jpg

We both fancied steak and knowing there was an outback steakhouse opposite the hotel we headed there, New York steak for Darren and in the ended I opted for a full rack of ribs instead of steak plus we had buffalo wings to start plus a coke for me and fosters for Darren which all came to $66 and was delicious but I have to admit our eyes were bigger than our bellys and we couldn't quite finish it all.

Holiday2009514.jpg

Holiday2009516.jpg

After stuffing ourselves we needed some exercise and walked down to the Bellagio and just maned to catch the last fountains show of the evening and to my delight it was to the American national anthem (I love it). I had seen many pictures of these and a few videos on you tube but it was amazing to finally see them in person, they were wonderful.

Holiday2009525.jpg

Holiday2009531.jpg

We then had a look around the Bellagio which was really pretty, i loved the flower area where the little ferris wheel with the flowers is.

Holiday2009538.jpg

Holiday2009540.jpg

Holiday2009549.jpg

Holiday2009550.jpg

Holiday2009553.jpg

I was now getting really tired, i felt like it had hit me really bad all of a sudden and I didn't think my feet were even going to carry me back tot he hotel, but thankfully they did JUST ABOUT! and we were back by about 1am and straight to bed for me, i think Darren layed in bed watching TV for abit as he couldn't get comfy mumbling (moaning) something about the pillows being to soft and he's head was just hiding in them.

I loooove Las Vegas! It's been awhile since I've been there, I need to get back! It's so easy to get lost in their hotels! I got lost in the MGM Grand. :rotfl:

Aww I miss Disneyland! You got some great pictures. And congrats on getting engaged!

I loooove Las Vegas! It's been awhile since I've been there, I need to get back! It's so easy to get lost in their hotels! I got lost in the MGM Grand. :rotfl:

I loved Vegas and really hope to go back one day. We got lost after checkin trying to find the lifts to the rooms in our hotel (Mirage) :rotfl:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter