BWV condition

bigdisneydaddy

Fan of all things Fort wilderness
We just arrived home after a 5 day stay at BWV and I must say we are disappointed in the overall condition of the resort. We did note much work going on but it seems a little late in some instances.
The shower in our room had mildew on it and a non functioning fan.
The laundry room on the first floor is a complete mess. One of the machines is pulled out from the wall and not functioning, The drywall behind the machines has been half replaced and left untaped or painted. Even the new drywall is ruined from water.
The floor tile is peeling and some missing due to flooding.
A CM who was mopping the floor told me that it floods regularly because the drain dont work properly.
The ceiling above the front desk has 2 unfinished drywall patches apparently from roof leaks.
The balacony of our 4th floor room (standard view) was filthy dirty. I realize they are repainting but it didnt get this dirty overnight and it appears it will be al least a few more months before they get around to that side. Most of the other resorts clean these areas regularly.

Long story short is that whoever is in charge of maintenance at BWV is not doing an adequate job.
I do intend to address these concerns in letter form to BWV management.

Thanks
I fell better after venting !

Does anyone know if they have started the refurbish on any of the standard rooms yet?

Has anyone run across a published schedule of the BWV refurbishment?

While a block of standard rooms is under refurb, would Disney substitute a block of preferred rooms at standard room points or if there would just be significantly fewer standard rooms during that time period?

You know we paid good money for these accomodations. Remember, '" the pre-paid vacation" speil? If we wanted to stay in the Days Inn we wouldn't have paid all this money to Disney, much less the high maintenance fees at the BWV.

I say write to the GM of DVC and complain. I hate being treated like an uninvited guest while paying big bucks. Write, Write and Complain!!
Marylyn

I agree. A well written, well thought out letter is the best way to go. Something about a letter speaks volumes when compared to e-mail or a phone call.

Good luck.......:cool:

Every resort occasionally has a bad room(s) or something in the common areas in need of work. While I do not doubt what the OP found, we were just at BWV in a standard view room last December. There was not any mold in our room, everything worked and our balcony was not filthy dirty.

In my experience, it is best to inform the front desk/maintnenace/housekeeping right away when things are broken or not right. When we have done that, things were made right (every time) and the CMs seemed glad to have the chance. To me, a letter after the fact isn't as helpful.

As far as I recall from my visit and the BWV annual meeting, only the standard view rooms near the tennis courts have started the rehab process. The rest are scheduled to be completed by sometime in September, although management hopes that they may be done by sometime in August.

When the standard rooms are under rehab, they are not available for guests. DVC does not reduce the price of a "block of preferred" rooms during that time. There are just less standard view rooms available. Those who want standard view rooms this summer should book as soon as the 11 month window opens to ensure getting one.

I guess it really depends on the room. We just came back from BWV (were there last week) and we did not notice anything wrong with our 2-br preferred view. Everything was in good shape.

My mom mentioned that it was drity around the tub in the studio (part of the 2-br). But I think houkeeping probably can't even see that because the lighting was so low in that bathroom. She did not say anything until after we checked out, otherwise, I would have called for additional cleaning.

This was our first time staying at any DVC resort, and we were extremely pleased with the accomodations.

I originally was not sure about not having daily housekeeping, but after we checked in, I actually like the fact that I don't have to clean up everyday because of housekeeping.

When we checked in, we called housekeeping to tell them that the door to the washer/dryer was not closing right, and then we left for dinner. When we came back, it was all fixed.

We wanted to have a shower cap and it was delivered very promply also. Everything went really well. It was a real downer to leave the last night.

The only thing that I found a little tacky was that my mom asked for a lotion when we ran into the housekeeping woman on the 4th day. She said she would leave some in the room but she did not. Instead, she knocked on our door the morning we were checking out and handed us the lotion saying it was special because the lotions are only provided to the Inn's guest, not the villa's. To me, she wanted to make sure she gets her tips, we were planning on leaving the tips anyway, but I just thought the way she did it was a little too much.

The combination of items we found was what troubled us. The place just struck me as being less than Disney.
That having been said, The new painting and areas that were already done looked good.
I had planned on discussing the room problems while there but didnt feel like waiting in the line at the front desk. It just wasnt a huge issue and I felt that writing all of my concerns once arriving home would be a better way.

We were in a standard view studio in October 2002 and it was in horrible shape. I did not complain at the time because there were a lot of small things wrong, and I didn't notice them all at once. But by the end of the week (we were there 8 nights) it was overwhelming.

We had mildew on the fabric shower curtain, the inside doorframe of the bathroom was very rusty, the entire room was dusty, the tub didn't seem very clean, the wood trim was rotten all around our patio, the sofa arms were extremely dirty and worn and the hallway carpet was absolutely filthy.

I'm sorry to hear the laundry room is still in such horrible shape, because that's about how it was in Oct. The floor was constantly wet and flooded.

I did write a letter to Jackie Leuders when I got home and never heard a word.

Originally posted by ReneeQ
We were in a standard view studio in October 2002 and it was in horrible shape. I did not complain at the time because there were a lot of small things wrong, and I didn't notice them all at once. But by the end of the week (we were there 8 nights) it was overwhelming.

We had mildew on the fabric shower curtain, the inside doorframe of the bathroom was very rusty, the entire room was dusty, the tub didn't seem very clean, the wood trim was rotten all around our patio, the sofa arms were extremely dirty and worn and the hallway carpet was absolutely filthy.

I'm sorry to hear the laundry room is still in such horrible shape, because that's about how it was in Oct. The floor was constantly wet and flooded.

I did write a letter to Jackie Leuders when I got home and never heard a word.

I think we have to find out who Jackie Leuders superior is and write to him/her if Jackie isn't doing his/her job. I don't think Jackie would like the fact that people are going over his/her head about problems and would want to get them fixed. Isn't that what the dues are for???
I will be down in May and I am a General Contractor. I think I will do a punch list on my unit and submit it the first day and see what happens. Something to do while I'm in the room.;)
Rich

On this trip we had some comparisons since we stayed 3 nights at Vero and 3 nights at Old Key West. Vero was in excellent shape and obviously was being maintained. Old Key West has kept up well and is in overall better condition than Boardwalk, which is much newer. We were in a 1 BR at OKW and were pleased with the condition of that room.
The only reason we bought at Boardwalk originall was because OKW was sold out, Of course they started construction on the new buildings at OKW a few months later.

Definitely write a letter, there is no excuse for a room that is not clean and in tip top shape. I would have also complained while there to the general mgr of BWV and asked for the room to be cleaned/repaired immediately or else be moved to a new room. We were at BWV in Dec in a standard view villa and it was immaculate. I did not even go into the laundry room, so I have no idea of the condition and I did not notice anything wrong in the lobby front/desk area. But everything was all decked out for Christmas and it was very beautiful with trees, garland and a chocolate village, so I did not notice the ceiling tiles.

That's odd. We were at BWV in January, and other than a broken washer the place was in great shape.
We didn't have any problems with our room, but I do agree about the outside of the resort. It was extremely dirty and looked very worn. I just figured that they didn't want to go through the expense of cleaning and repairing it when it was going to be painted soon.
(Isn't the reason that it is being repainted due to construction error? I remember reading that the contractor used the wrong type of paint. If this is the case, maybe it was too hard to clean.)
Anyway, it was a bit disappointing, but on the other hand, I was glad that they weren't spending our dues money on something that would be fixed within a few months anyway.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter