buying points

dennisnlisab96

DIS Veteran
We are starting to think about purchasing DVC points...

Are there any disadvantages to buying VB and being able to use the points at WDW reorts??

...Are there any disadvantages to buying VB and being able to use the points at WDW reorts??

Yes - the disadvantage is that you can only book the WDW resorts at the 7-month window. This can affect your ability to get the resort, room type, and dates that you prefer.

Terri

We are starting to think about purchasing DVC points...

Are there any disadvantages to buying VB and being able to use the points at WDW reorts??

There is a lot of great information on these boards and if you're looking to buy it would probably be a good idea to read as many threads as you possibly can. Regarding Vero Beach specifically, it is a very, um, difficult resort to own. Typically the people who own there tend to stay there. The maintenance fees are significantly higher than any other DVC property due to their oceanfront location. They are high to the point where they are rapidly approaching the price at which you could rent points without the initial buy in. Any initial savings you could realize by buying VB over a more expensive resort would be quickly eroded away by the higher maintenance fees. Resale prices at VB are very, very low, as is the demand. So if you ever needed to get rid of your contract it could be difficult. There has also been speculation that if Disney ever were to spin off a few of its locations and remove them from the DVC system, it would be VB and HHI. Probably won't happen, but do you want to worry about it?

Finally, to add to what the previous posters mentioned, there is a chance that you could be completely shut out at the 7 month window, thus making it impossible to stay anywhere on property. It's probably unlikely, but at the busier times of the year it could definitely happen.

The general advice given to new purchasers is to buy where you want to stay. I've also seen people advising new purchasers to buy at a place you wouldn't mind staying at, in case you couldn't book at your first choice. Through your research you will find that certain locations (such as AKV value rooms, AKV concierge rooms, most everything BLT and BCV) almost always book prior to the 7 month non home resort booking window.

My advice is to read, read, read, and then take opinions like mine and the others and decide what you agree with and what you don't. You might even decide after doing your research that DVC is not the best option for your family (although with 4 kids I'm guessing that you really want to start staying in 2BR villas). :) Best of luck in making your decision!

yes. several. the VB pts are cheap for a reason.

it might work out fine to buy VB and book at wdw at 7 months out. but most of us would not care for the risks that come along with VB ownership if you don't intend to stay at VB.

i can book OKW at 10-11 months out, so that means i have a spot onsite at wdw...if i try to get another resort at 7 months, fine...but if nothing comes through, i'm still onsite at wdw.

In the end, it's not the price you pay for the points, but the price you pay for annual dues that adds up and costs a lot. VB points are already higher than any other resort.

If you want to reserve a VB Beach Cottage (the equivalent of a Grand Villa), you'll want to own VB. Or if you always want July 4th at VB, that's another reason to own there.

But if you just want less expensive points, buy OKW or SSR. Then you can always stay at WDW and book your resort at 11 months out. Then at 7 months out, you can see what else is available if you want to book something else.

When you look at the price of Vero vs some of the other resorts everyone brings up good points, but you should look at what is out there right now.

Okw is not making it on ROFR recently so the cost a point doesn't mean much.

The cost of mf vs other resorts may be very small when you look at the life of the contract

When you look at the price of Vero vs some of the other resorts everyone brings up good points, but you should look at what is out there right now.

Okw is not making it on ROFR recently so the cost a point doesn't mean much.

The cost of mf vs other resorts may be very small when you look at the life of the contract

Let's say you save $1,000 on the initial buy-in by buying VB over another resort.

But if VB's MFs remain $2 per point higher than the other resorts (which is possible given the hurricane issues the resort has to deal with), and you have 100 points, that is a $200 difference per year. Over the course of the 30-year contract, that's a $6,000 difference. So was it still worth it to save the $1,000 up front? I don't think so.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter