Buying extra ticket for extra fast pass?

thank you all for your replies. I'm now trying to decide what week to go in Feb.. either the 14th to the 18th (inclusive) or the 22nd to the 26th (inclusive). seems like 14th to the 18th would be best.

I would do the 14th-18th. The later date is closer to the Leap Day celebrations and, having just gotten back from Disney, we heard REPEATEDLY from Disney folks and employees that week is shaping up to be pure insanity.

Honestly, I don't think that you really need to buy extra tickets for the FP's at that date. The money is better spent elsewhere. We were just there for 4 days (2 were our travel days) and we did absolutely everything we wanted, and then some, just by getting there at the start of the day and going until close. In fact, the first day we were done at 8 and back in the hotel by 9, and the last day we left at 3. It can be done without buying the extra tickets. Especially as we always get "gifted" at some point in our trip, either from CM's or from other guests, and the FP machines that spit out the bonus FP's (we got bonus ones at Peter Pan and Everest, though ToT was spitting them out too I guess but I don't know for where).

I would do the 14th-18th. The later date is closer to the Leap Day celebrations and, having just gotten back from Disney, we heard REPEATEDLY from Disney folks and employees that week is shaping up to be pure insanity.
Since the OP is coming from Australia, I doubt he is planning to visit THIS month.

Since the OP is coming from Australia, I doubt he is planning to visit THIS month.

I was wondering that, but it seemed like he was talking immediate future, so I figured I'd throw that out there.

we've all heard that one before...;)

:rotfl2: Exactly, although having to come all the way from Australia might help make it a slightly less frequent occurrence that it is for many of us. Just today, one of my employees who just returned from his "first, and guaranteed only" trip to WDW popped his head into my office and uttered those immortal words: "So, tell me about DVC and how many points I should buy." This is a hard-charging, aggressive, high-level financial sales executive who then proceeded to tell me about the joy of his seven days with his wife and daughter down there and how they are already counting the days until their next visit.

It's a bug that just bites some people!

we've all heard that one before...;)
LOL.

I think many of us said that our first trip was going to be a Once In A Lifetime deal.

Not that the OP will absolutely go back, of course.

But I remember saying (about many things I was planning for that first trip!), "We might as well spend the money. How often do you go to Disney World?!" The answer in my head was, of course, "Once."

:rotfl2:

Not worth it in my opinion. If you are staying on property you have to take advantage of EMH's morning and night. Save your FP's for the middle of the day when it's really crowded. Get the FP's that have the shortest return time that way you can get another one quicker. You will be able to get plenty of FP's during your time. On Expedition Everest use the single rider line. It goes quick.

LOL.

I think many of us said that our first trip was going to be a Once In A Lifetime deal.

Not that the OP will absolutely go back, of course.

But I remember saying (about many things I was planning for that first trip!), "We might as well spend the money. How often do you go to Disney World?!" The answer in my head was, of course, "Once."

:rotfl2:

LoL!

We did our trip in September 2011, figured it'd be our big trip, the one we remember forever, and it'd be years before we got back.

And then I booked in October for a trip we just got back from. We said that'd be it for awhile.

Our next trip is in October 2012, the one after that is in January 2013. October the little guy is going, and we swore not until he was older would he ever go.

Hey All,
I'm finally going to disneyworld after waiting 28 years (I'm australian and havn't travelled til now). going with my fiancee.

I understand how fast passes work, but what do you all think of buying an extra ticket each to get an extra fast pass for a second ride?
Thank you

We did this last year. I got some negativity when I asked about it so I haven't talked about it much but in the spirit of helping I will give you my experience.

We went the week after Easter, one of busiest times at the parks. I had not been in years and didn't know when or if I would be able to return and I wanted to maximize our experience. We had about a 6 1/2 day visit. If I were only going for a day or two I would have considered the (not sure what the actual name is) "premium" VIP tour from Disney (as opposed to the regular VIP tour) where you book one of their tour guides for $300+ an hour and they flash their magic pass and get you through all the lines (at least for all the FASTPASS rides and I think the shows, not sure about non-FASTPASS rides). I couldn't afford VIP tours for all the days of our trip so I decided getting us each an extra ticket was the way to go.

Our first day I made the mistake of telling a turnstile CM what I wanted to do. I was hoping that I could just have her scan both my tickets at once and be on my way -- BIG MISTAKE. She misunderstood what I was trying to do and wouldn't listen to my explanation. When I said I wanted to scan two tickets per person I'm sure she thought that I was wanting to scan a ticket that would become a ticket for a member of our party that was sleeping in and then give this person the ticket later. Obviously this wouldn't work but I think they have people try to do this all the time. Once you tie your finger scan to a ticket no one else can use it. This was before rope drop at AK and I gave up trying to explain it to her. I asked her to just point me to the exit. We exited immediately then went to a different gate and scanned in using our second set of tickets. We all used our same finger to scan the second ticket and had no problems. Now we had two sets of active tickets and we were good to go. So, the advice here is to not tell the CM's what you are doing because they will likely misunderstand you and you will end up wasting a bunch of time. Just do it. Enter with the first set of tickets, exit, enter again with the second set of tickets. Some days we wanted to be belly to the rope we entered on the first ticket and did Rope Drop, then after riding a ride and getting a FP we exited and re-entered with the second set of tickets.

In theory this was a great idea. In practice sometimes it worked out fantastic and we ended up "slaying" the park, and other times it helped but not as much as I would have hoped. There were a couple of reasons for this.

One reason was that turnstile CM's don't understand this strategy and think that you are trying to do something not allowed (activating another person's ticket, which is not what we were doing) so you have to exit the park and re-enter to activate the second ticket (you don't tell the CM's what you are doing or they will slow you down because they don't understand). This usually puts you behind the crowd at rope drop which means if the park is crowded you will not have as early a FASTPASS return time for your first FP.

Another reason was that parks are large and some parks are larger than others. If you plan on always getting two FASTPASSes per person per ride then this probably works out well. We sometimes wanted one FP for one ride on one side of the park and one FP for another ride on the other side of the park so we would have to send a runner (me) back and forth across the park which took time and was an extra effort. If you split your FP's, using one for one ride and one for another, the return times will usually not be in sync which means that later you are struggling to rush back and forth across the park to get FP's for set 1 or FP's for set 2 (there is some overhead travel time across the park if you split the FP's).

My conclusions? I wish I were rich. Then I would get a premium VIP tour every day and not worry about extra tickets. I was happy with having the extra FASTPASSes that our extra tickets provided and we definitely enhanced our experience by using this strategy. I would consider doing it again if I were going at a peak crowd time. But..., unless you are going when it is pretty crowded you won't get your money's worth out of buying an extra set of tickets. My conclusion was that I should put more effort into trying to plan our trips for times when the parks are not so crowded. This may mean taking kids out of school which is what I was trying to avoid and part of the reason we ended up going for Easter break.

If you are going to use two tickets per person you MUST make sure that the tickets are tagged for each person they belong too. I wrote an ID (first letter of name and which ticket it is, 1 or 2. Actually I didn't need a 1 or 2 because one set of our tickets was visually different from the other -- room key tickets plus standalone tickets) on them with a permanent marker so we wouldn't get them confused. If you confuse the tickets you may get stuck at the turnstile for a long time while they call a supervisor to make sure you aren't attempting to use someone else's ticket. I made sure each person had their own set 1 ticket when we entered the first time, and each person had their own set 2 ticket when we entered the second time. I used a little leather business card holder with two pockets (like a mini wallet) to hold the tickets and the FASTPASSes so they were easy to access all the time. It worked beautifully.

Hey All,

I'm finally going to disneyworld after waiting 28 years (I'm australian and havn't travelled til now). going with my fiancee.

I understand how fast passes work, but what do you all think of buying an extra ticket each to get an extra fast pass for a second ride?

Thank you

Big waste of money and time. You would need to enter twice to activate both tickets.

Denise in MI

If your strategy in buying 2 extra tickets for Fastpasses is to maximize your park ride time, there are more cost-effective ways.

One already mentioned is to stay at a resort on Disney property. And if your budget will stretch to it, stay at a resort with easy access to at least one of the parks--like the Contemporary, Grand Floridian or Polynesian right next to the Magic Kingdom, or the Beach Club or Boardwalk right next to Epcot.

Another way to maximize your ride time is to use some kind of park touring plan. The ready-made plans from Unofficial Guide and the customizable/personalized plans from Ridemax.com are both well worth it.

Enjoy your stay!

I like your idea of buying a second ticket (wish I had your money). But, instead of trying to use them both yourself, recruit someone else to use it. :thumbsup2

Here me out...get someone, say a middle aged father with a serious Disney addiction and his son, to use your 2nd tickets to enter the park. They could then collect FPs for you, while suffering through the standby lines, themselves...oh the agony of being at Disney waiting in line...:cool1:

I like your idea of buying a second ticket (wish I had your money). But, instead of trying to use them both yourself, recruit someone else to use it. :thumbsup2

Here me out...get someone, say a middle aged father with a serious Disney addiction and his son, to use your 2nd tickets to enter the park. They could then collect FPs for you, while suffering through the standby lines, themselves...oh the agony of being at Disney waiting in line...:cool1:

You would have to find a party of the same size as yours. This could be hard if you are not from the area. You would have to trust them not to run off with your second set of tickets. Once they activate them and key them to their finger scans it's going to be hard to get those tickets back if they decide to cheat you and do their own thing. I guess if you bought the tickets on your credit card and had the numbers of the tickets you could claim they were lost and get the physical tickets replaced, but then you'd be stuck with a set of tickets that were finger scan keyed to someone else. If I knew a family in the area I could trust I would do that. But I don't and I doubt the OP does either. It's a good idea but I think it would be hard to weed out trustworthy folks from non-trustworthy folks and I would worry about that.

I thought about that, but have had such a hard time giving away FPs, what with people looking at me like I'm trying to put one over on them or con them out of money...I don't even want to try saying, "I'd like to offer you the opportunity to get into the park - on me, but I keep the ticket..."

If I were doing this and knew someone who understood the deal, I would. But I'd never try approaching a stranger.

Plus, whoever gets in free using your ticket won't be able to get any FPs of their own.

Guys...

I think wdw&sonny was just posting a silly bit about letting HIM and his son use the "second tickets" as a way of getting more ("free") trips to the parks.

get someone, say a middle aged father with a serious Disney addiction and his son, to use your 2nd tickets to enter the park.

Just a little joke, as I see it.

Big waste of money and time.

I disagree. It definitely saved us time in peak season. I felt the money was well spent.

You would need to enter twice to activate both tickets.
Denise in MI

You do have to enter twice but it does not take long to enter twice. You walk out, you walk back in. The variable is how many people are in line behind you (they should be behind you, at least they're behind me because we get there significantly before park opening). If there are a huge number of people behind you you may choose to re-enter after you hit a ride and get some FASTPASSes (and the line has died down) or you might choose to re-enter right away because your extra FASTPASSes will help you overcome the line.

I haven't read through this entire thread so I'm not sure if someone has suggested this already but...

Have you considered a VIP Tour? The guide will help you choose which attractions you want to visit. You also do not have to wait in lines with the tour guide... they take you directly onto all of the attractions without waiting. You also get special VIP seating for shows and fireworks. This is expensive, the Disney website lists it for $150 to $350 per hour, but if this is your once in a lifetime trip to WDW and you have the extra money, you should definitely consider it. Here is a link to the information Disney has on it and you can call the number to find out more. I think if you have the money it would be an awesome alternative to buying extra park tickets which may or may not work the way you envision it.

WDW VIP TOURS

This thread reminds me how neat the GAD FPs were a few years ago. I'm not knocking 24 hours of Disney on 2/29, but the Give A Day promotion was amazing in so many ways...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter