Buying both direct and resale

Tombarrow

Earning My Ears
Hello, new user here!

My wife and I along with our two kids are interested in all things DVC so I’m running through the numbers and wonder if you can help with one question in particular! I’m really sorry if this has already been asked...

If I buy the minimum 100 points direct through Disney (at Riviera) and then say an extra 300 points (at SSR) on the resale market how does it work when you come to book at the 11 month mark?

Do I only get 100 points at 11 months out for Riviera or would I get all 400 to use? Same applies with SSR...would I get to use all 400 at SSR 11 months out or just the 300?

Wondering whether I should only just buy resale but on the other hand would love to be an official DVC member with the few perks!

Hope this makes sense!
Thanks in advance :)

You can only use the 100 to use at your home resort. You can use the rest at the 7 month mark.

It helps to know that the points are associated with a resort (not a Member). As Pyotr posted, only the points purchased for a particular resort can book that particular resort during the home resort booking priority period. (If you think about it, why would anyone buy more than the absolute minimum of an expensive resort's points, if the "cheaper" resorts' points magically turn into expensive resort points?)

If you buy more than one resort and anticipate combining points at 7 months, be sure to get the same use year. That means both contracts will be under the same Membership number and simplify booking.

You could buy both your resale and direct points at the same home resort, and as long as they have the same UY and are titled the same you could use all points together at the 11 month window.

So what you could do is buy resale points first (except not RIV yet) and then I think the minimum to add on for perks right now is 75 points direct. Have Disney match your UY and make sure the same names go on the deed to keep the same membership number.

If you buy direct first, the minimum might be different for a new member? 75 qualifies you for the perks though. Then it’s up to you to find a matching UY resale contract and make sure the same names go on the deed.

Are you aware of the new resale restriction? Resale points can only be used to trade into the L14 resorts (not RIV or future), except if you buy RIV resale (when those come on the market) you can only use those points to stay at RIV. Your direct points can be used to book anywhere.
(I say this because you could not use resale SSR points to book at RIV, even at 7 months.)

Which resort(s) are you most interested in? RIV and SSR it sounds like?

And
:welcome:

If I buy the minimum 100 points direct through Disney (at Riviera) and then say an extra 300 points (at SSR) on the resale market how does it work when you come to book at the 11 month mark?

Do I only get 100 points at 11 months out for Riviera or would I get all 400 to use? Same applies with SSR...would I get to use all 400 at SSR 11 months out or just the 300?

Normally at 7 months all points become equal, but with the new resale restrictions this is not the case. If you buy any of the "legacy 14" resorts resale then you will only be able to use those points at those 14 resorts and not at Riviera. So if you did your purchase scenario then you would only have 100 points to use at Riviera.

You would be able to use all 400 points at 7 months at the 14 resorts. But the point of buying an expensive new resort is to stay at that resort.

Wondering whether I should only just buy resale but on the other hand would love to be an official DVC member with the few perks!
Do not get caught up with buying for the "perks". Perks will change, perks will go away. The savings you will get from buying resale would take a considerable amount of time to recoup if you bought direct for the perks.

As an example - I just bought a poly resale 100 points @ $145 per point. Direct would have been $235 per point or and extra $9000. For that extra $9000 i could buy an AP for one person in my party and get similar shopping and dining discounts as with DVC. I could pay to go to an after hours event which would have lower crowds than a DVC event and those after hours events happen more frequently.

I would honestly wait on a Riviera purchase. there is a bit of an unknown as to how the resale restrictions will affect resale for Riviera. This could be an issue if you have to sell for some unforeseen reason in a couple years.

What i would do is buy a resale, get used to the system. Wait for Riviera to open and to hit the resale market. Then as you see how it values then decide if buying a resale or direct Riviera makes sense for you.

Thanks everyone for your replies, extremely helpful.

I think in hindsight, Riviera isn’t somewhere we’d really stay and we’re only looking at purchasing points for there as that’s all they have available therefore so I think resale is the way forward.

Thanks again :)

Thanks everyone for your replies, extremely helpful.

I think in hindsight, Riviera isn’t somewhere we’d really stay and we’re only looking at purchasing points for there as that’s all they have available therefore so I think resale is the way forward.

Thanks again :)

FYI - they will sell you any resort direct. It might take a waitlist for some of them though - that just depends on what they have at the time. They push to sell the new resort but if you push they will sell you pretty much anything so it wouldn't have to be Riviera. Here's a link to the current direct pricing for all the resorts: https://dvcnews.com/index.php/dvc-program/financial/pricing-a-promotions

Resale savings on a small purchase are going to be less but can be very significant when the number of points gets larger.

Yes they can sell you direct most of the resorts, SSR you Probably wouldn’t have to wait. You would need 75 for direct benefits, so I recommend 75, then buy the rest resale. Just get the same use year and life will be easy when booking. Good luck. If you don’t need the direct benefits buy all resale and save.

Whether you buy resale or direct is a big question, the biggest is (after you decide if DVC is even a good choice for your family) is which resort you want.

The difference in cost between resale and direct is huge at certain resorts, and resale would be the definite way to buy. Some other resorts the difference isn't as big.

If you really want the direct benefits buy resale first. It's easier to have Disney match your use year than you trying to find the perfect resale that matches your direct.

Also if you buy resale first you'll only need 75 points to become a full fledged member. If you buy direct first you need 100 points.

So for example you want 400 total points at OKW (since you mentioned that in your OP) try to find the 325 or around there at OKW resale first (look for a 2057 expiration). Then after that process goes through contact Disney and tell them you want 75 points direct with whatever use year you just bought resale.

I thought the minimum for a NEW member (not one that already owns resale) was 100 minimum buy in. I guess they changed the rules again.
Only at certain resorts. HHI (75 points), OKW (50 points), SSR (50 points), and VB (75 points) have less than 100 minimums whereas the rest are "officially" 100 for new members.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!