Buying a new AP before mine expires

Katiebird

Mouseketeer
Our current APs expire beginning of January, and we probably won’t go for a couple of months after that. Chances are though that prices may increase before then.

Could I buy new APs now (not renewing our current) and hold on to them? What’s the current expiration for the AP vouchers? And is this even possible - will the system let me buy new ones? Would I need to make a new account?

I hope this makes sense. o_O

Our current APs expire beginning of January, and we probably won’t go for a couple of months after that. Chances are though that prices may increase before then.

Could I buy new APs now (not renewing our current) and hold on to them? What’s the current expiration for the AP vouchers? And is this even possible - will the system let me buy new ones? Would I need to make a new account?

I hope this makes sense. o_O
Yes you can. I think the activiation date should be December 31, 2019 since that’s what current ticket sales are for.

Annual Pass vouchers now expire 356 days from date of purchase. I just bought my Signature AP with MaxPass voucher today and my current AP dose not expire until late January.

I have a feeling as soon as tomorrow prices are going up.

Annual Pass vouchers now expire 356 days from date of purchase. I just bought my Signature AP with MaxPass voucher today and my current AP dose not expire until late January.

Did you hear a rumor about price increases?

Awesome, thank you. Did you buy them under your same Disney account?

No.

I set up a new Disney account with a new email I made specifically for purchasing my voucher.

Anyone done this recently...bought an annual pass voucher while still holding an active AP...and not made an entirely new account to do it? Disney has a history of merging accounts with same addresses and other personal information, so I would be reluctant to make a separate account and have all my contact information screwed up or disassociated in their system.

Anyone done this recently...bought an annual pass voucher while still holding an active AP...and not made an entirely new account to do it? Disney has a history of merging accounts with same addresses and other personal information, so I would be reluctant to make a separate account and have all my contact information screwed up or disassociated in their system.

I would also be concerned about that. Very much so.

I would also be concerned about that. Very much so.

My concern with using the same account though is you have to put in a name and info for each AP holder, and then you’ll have the same person with two APs in the same account - I’m not sure that is possible?

I suppose I could make an account for my husband, and buy the new APs under that. Having two adults in the same household have separate accounts would be perfectly reasonable and normal, I would think.

I’m not sure budget will allow for the cash out right now anyway though.

Before you do this, are there any benefits associated with your APs that are grandfathered in? Anything that you would lose if you let your AP expire (which you would have to do in order to use a voucher to buy a new AP)? Be careful about what you might lose by letting your pass expire. If it doesn't matter, then I remember reading posts from other DISers who have done this same thing in the past. Maybe they will chime in on this.

Nothing grandfathered, so no worries there. I actually want the current APs to expire, because we likely wouldn’t go for 2-3 months minimum so it’d be better to start a new pass.

I let mine expire this weekend. I do not have any benefits that would have been grandfathered in (parking, photopass, etc) and am unable to go for the next few months.

Instead of locking myself into a pass, for now I'm loading a Disney giftcard for "I need my fix!" days. On the plus side, I can also use that money for D23 membership and other Disney things.

Since I am not local, I've done what we are discussing before, bought new AP vouchers with names associated using my Disney account while holding active APs. I have not had problems in the past, but the last time I did it was several years ago. I have been a little more concerned now about how the process works since Disney has made so many IT changes, not the least of which is the introduction of the app and all the things we do on there using our accounts. I communicated with some Disney cast members, one by phone and one by chat, and have been assured that the practice of buying an AP voucher while holding an active AP should still work although some times there are some "technical challenges." That's the best answer I could get. I would possibly go through with it if I had a compelling enough reason to buy new passes while still holding my current ones.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter