Buying a new AP before mine expires

Discussion in 'Disneyland (California)' started by Katiebird, Oct 13, 2018.

1. Katiebird

Katiebird Mouseketeer

Our current APs expire beginning of January, and we probably won’t go for a couple of months after that. Chances are though that prices may increase before then.

Could I buy new APs now (not renewing our current) and hold on to them? What’s the current expiration for the AP vouchers? And is this even possible - will the system let me buy new ones? Would I need to make a new account?

I hope this makes sense. o_O

2. dina444444

dina444444 DIS Veteran

Yes you can. I think the activiation date should be December 31, 2019 since that’s what current ticket sales are for.

3. Avatar

Advertisement

4. Ryan120420

Ryan120420 Mouseketeer

Annual Pass vouchers now expire 356 days from date of purchase. I just bought my Signature AP with MaxPass voucher today and my current AP dose not expire until late January.

I have a feeling as soon as tomorrow prices are going up.

Katiebird likes this.
  5. midnight star

midnight star DIS Veteran

Did you hear a rumor about price increases?

6. Ryan120420

Ryan120420 Mouseketeer

No, but Disney World is raising their prices on Tuesday and in the past decade Disney has a history of raising the prices on both coasts at the same time.

7. dina444444

dina444444 DIS Veteran

I’m expecting an increase by May of 2019 given when the cars land increase happened.

smartlabelprint likes this.
  8. Katiebird

Katiebird Mouseketeer

Awesome, thank you. Did you buy them under your same Disney account?

9. Ryan120420

Ryan120420 Mouseketeer

No.

I set up a new Disney account with a new email I made specifically for purchasing my voucher.

Katiebird likes this.
  10. longtimedisneylurker

longtimedisneylurker DIS Veteran

Anyone done this recently...bought an annual pass voucher while still holding an active AP...and not made an entirely new account to do it? Disney has a history of merging accounts with same addresses and other personal information, so I would be reluctant to make a separate account and have all my contact information screwed up or disassociated in their system.

midnight star and tarheelalum like this.
  11. tarheelalum

tarheelalum DIS Veteran

I would also be concerned about that. Very much so.

12. Katiebird

Katiebird Mouseketeer

My concern with using the same account though is you have to put in a name and info for each AP holder, and then you’ll have the same person with two APs in the same account - I’m not sure that is possible?

I suppose I could make an account for my husband, and buy the new APs under that. Having two adults in the same household have separate accounts would be perfectly reasonable and normal, I would think.

I’m not sure budget will allow for the cash out right now anyway though.

13. theluckyrabbit

theluckyrabbit Moderator Moderator

Before you do this, are there any benefits associated with your APs that are grandfathered in? Anything that you would lose if you let your AP expire (which you would have to do in order to use a voucher to buy a new AP)? Be careful about what you might lose by letting your pass expire. If it doesn't matter, then I remember reading posts from other DISers who have done this same thing in the past. Maybe they will chime in on this.

Katiebird likes this.
  14. Katiebird

Katiebird Mouseketeer

Nothing grandfathered, so no worries there. I actually want the current APs to expire, because we likely wouldn’t go for 2-3 months minimum so it’d be better to start a new pass.

15. wingednike

wingednike Mouseketeer

I let mine expire this weekend. I do not have any benefits that would have been grandfathered in (parking, photopass, etc) and am unable to go for the next few months.

Instead of locking myself into a pass, for now I'm loading a Disney giftcard for "I need my fix!" days. On the plus side, I can also use that money for D23 membership and other Disney things.

16. longtimedisneylurker

longtimedisneylurker DIS Veteran

Since I am not local, I've done what we are discussing before, bought new AP vouchers with names associated using my Disney account while holding active APs. I have not had problems in the past, but the last time I did it was several years ago. I have been a little more concerned now about how the process works since Disney has made so many IT changes, not the least of which is the introduction of the app and all the things we do on there using our accounts. I communicated with some Disney cast members, one by phone and one by chat, and have been assured that the practice of buying an AP voucher while holding an active AP should still work although some times there are some "technical challenges." That's the best answer I could get. I would possibly go through with it if I had a compelling enough reason to buy new passes while still holding my current ones.