"But You Can't Compare Yourself To Elvis."

WEDWDW

DIS Veteran
45 years ago today Elvis Aron Presley,the greatest Entertainer of all time,passed away.

John Lennon once said "Before Elvis,there was nothing."

There is really no way to describe him-he was at a level of his own.

In a recent interview in conjunction with the new Elvis movie,his Granddaughter,Riley Keough,was asked that since she is an Entertainer did she feel pressure to carry on the family legacy.

She responded that she didn't feel it that much since she was a generation removed and in a different Career field.

And then she smiled broadly and said:

"But you can't compare yourself to Elvis."

1660668310702.png

I still remember when he died. Everyone was so shocked because he was only 42, even though it was clear he wasn't healthy.

I still remember when he died. Everyone was so shocked because he was only 42, even though it was clear he wasn't healthy.
No doubt!

And then a little over 2 Months later on October 20,1977,the second most famous Entertainer at the time from the South,Ronnie Van Zant-Founder/Singer/Songwriter of Lynyrd Skynyrd,author of Free Bird,Sweet Home Alabama,etc,-died in the plane crash.

Very shocking and sad 2 Months in 1977.

Of course anything can be compared to Elvis. A lamp can be compared to Elvis. People use that term wrong all the time. They usually mean equate, not compare.

Ok, off my soapbox.

Of course anything can be compared to Elvis. A lamp can be compared to Elvis. People use that term wrong all the time. They usually mean equate, not compare.

Ok, off my soapbox.
You can also compare Elvis to Elvis, and many do. 1968 Comeback Special Elvis compared to Jailhouse Rock Elvis compared to Las Vegas Elvis. Sky's the limit.

I saw him in Oct 76( worked as an usher freshman year of college). weird show, everyone dressed up in white Elvis suits and the whole show was a white out of flashbulbs taking pictures that likely never showed anything but white light. He had back up singers that sung most of the songs. Definitely past his prime.

and we visited Graceland circa 2004/5 and was reminded of that show. went online and found an audience recording of that concert. wife and I had a good laugh listening to that. still have that CD somewhere in the basement.

The way he sings Love Me still makes my heart flutter. Vegas ruined an icon with those silly outfits, always feel sad when I see him paraded like a caged bird, young Elvis was amazing.

True. Elvis was inspired by Little Richard, BB King, and more. Not to devalue Elvis one bit, but he took Blues and repurposed it. Led Zeppelin did the same thing, most of their influences are Blues-based.

My mom saw Little Richard, too!
I think Elvis & Little Richard were the only concerts she ever went to.
P.S. She said Little Richard was so fun to watch, especially in her day.
He danced on top of the piano...

well, for John Lennon he probably didn't pay much attention out there in England until Elvis came along. then he and the other guys he hung out with or met later (some of whom also became Beatles) discovered Chuck Berry and Little Richard.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter